Another default theme coming

Discuss application theming and theme development.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

kerz wrote:w3bst3r, your account has also been suspended for one week. I've given two warnings to be civil. Swearing and screaming is not going to be tollerated, reguardless of what your opinion is.

jason

How do we go about getting your account syuspended for a week. Get a life. These forums are supposed to be for discussion, or so I thought. Seems like everyone who disagrees with you gets their account suspended all of a sudden.
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

wgianopoulos@yahoo.com, if what you just said were the case, wouldn't there be about 100 people with disabled accounts right now? These were the only two people that needed to be warned, due to the rude and disrespectful fashion in which they were posting. They didn't heed the warning.. they got the expected result.

What's so hard about that?
tve

Post by tve »

wgianopoulos@yahoo.com wrote:How do we go about getting your account syuspended for a week. Get a life. These forums are supposed to be for discussion, or so I thought. Seems like everyone who disagrees with you gets their account suspended all of a sudden.

Err, sure.

w3bst3r's first and only post:
w3bst3r wrote:Just scrap it, it's the ugliest shit ever made, looks like the works of a 5 year old half retarded kid

He didn't get suspended because he disagreed with anyone, but because he's a troll. Do we even know kerz's stance on this theme stuff?
staticfish

Post by staticfish »

w3bst3r wrote:Just scrap it, it's the ugliest shit ever made, looks like the works of a 5 year old half retarded kid

I agree
"There is no limit to the size of the universe, and human stupidity, and i'm not even sure about the first" -Albert Einstein
djst

Post by djst »

wgianopoulos@yahoo.com wrote:
kerz wrote:w3bst3r, your account has also been suspended for one week. I've given two warnings to be civil. Swearing and screaming is not going to be tollerated, reguardless of what your opinion is.

jason

How do we go about getting your account syuspended for a week. Get a life. These forums are supposed to be for discussion, or so I thought. Seems like everyone who disagrees with you gets their account suspended all of a sudden.

If that was true, I would have lost my account a long time ago. ;)
Lost User 13777

Post by Lost User 13777 »

i can't understand why Arvid won't release Qute under a license for firefox. it seems like a great way to help firefox grow and gain popularitiy. i mean it's just an icon set for a web browser, and what's better than having the great one you created yourself in the best browser out there? obviously alot of people would love to see that happen so i don't see what Arvid can gain by not licensing it....come on Arvid we all love your work!

also alot of people say this theme switch is not a big deal, but i disagree. the average computer user (ie not anyone reading this) likes programs to be easy to use, work well and look nice. firefox certainly has the first two parts covered but with the 0.9 older looking icon set, the average users might feel like they're moving backwards with firefox. when you're something that's as personal as a web browser (where people spend a lot of their time on the computer) then you need all the help you can get....espically since i don't think microsoft will be bundling firefox with windows anytime soon. a slick, cool looking theme is a big deal to an average user. it just makes the product seem better (sad but true)

and the idea of having the theme be uniform across platforms is a good idea BUT not if it makes firefox worse in any way. i mean 87% of the users out there have windows and have IE as a default browser. you gotta knock people's socks off in every way to get them to download and switch their web browser. and if the visuals aren't there then unfortunately that will probably loose a large chunk of average computer users that might have switched.

firefox is a better browser than IE in so many ways. it's got loads more features and is much more secure. it's better and safer for the internet as a whole if people are using firefox rather than IE, so every person that switches to firefox from IE is a big deal.

anyways i love firefox. thanks a ton to all the hard work the devs have put into it. and i hope arvid and ben can work through their differences and get it a sharp looking theme it deserves for the 1.0 release
esavior

Post by esavior »

I think I would have too considering I proticipated in....

Anyone 'losing faith'?
Should Unofficial Builds topic be split into apps?
Time to get organized (unofficial builds)
Firefox???!
Open Source goes Commercial?
Another default theme coming

On the side disagreeing with the devs, heck I even had a classic... I am never posting here again post, I would like to note before you make one of those get off the comp for awhile and relax. My personal stance, has always been if you disagree speak up and say why, but after that there comes a time where your just running in circles then you need to stop freaking out and press forward as always, even if you still disagree with the decision. Sometimes its more important to work for a common goal than to be right.
Last edited by esavior on June 7th, 2004, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mindjunk
I didn't hear no bell...
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

wgianopoulos@yahoo.com wrote:How do we go about getting your account syuspended for a week. Get a life. These forums are supposed to be for discussion, or so I thought. Seems like everyone who disagrees with you gets their account suspended all of a sudden.

Did kerz even express his opinion on the skins? As far as I can see, all he did was silence someone who forgot to grow up before posting. The things they said were basically asking for bans, the rules of this forum are quite simple and quite clear enough and sufficient warning was given at least twice. Also, it's slightly besides the point when kerz isn't Ben, and Ben is the one who made the decision.

I've disagreed with some of his ideas or decisions before, but its worked out fine every time... I believe this will too. People need to have some faith, Ben is an excellent and talented project leader, if he makes an important decision it's unlikely to be on a whim, and I doubt he's underestimated the importance of first impressions or the quality of a default theme one bit.
wget

Post by wget »

Piel wrote:Is there a way we can create a petition of some sort to encourage Arvid to continue developing his theme?

Arvid isn't stopping development on the theme. You can save your useless internet petition for another day.
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

I just did a review on my blog, complete with screenshots, of the June 7th build of Firefox (the first to include this theme):

Link
Apple Macbook (Black) - 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Firefox 3.6.x
Reality

Post by Reality »

You know, there have been two thoughts I've been hearing:
1) That winstripe shouldn't be blamed, it's still in alpha. But, why the heck make it default now, instead of wait until it is.
2) And two, that 3rd party builds should be made offering Qute as default, but that they might not have enough clout. This coincides with me reading an article suggesting that Google (or someone similar) release a version of mozilla. If done with Qute, that shoots two birds with one stone... Just a thought
fishbert

Post by fishbert »

censorship = bad

Suspending accounts (for however long) is not something I'd ever be in favor of. People who post inflamatory, useless, and/or just plain mean remarks display their own ignorance and immaturity. Silencing them by suspending their accounts, does nothing but add a value to their childish behavior. Just ignore those with whom you so greatly disagree with, anything more is just as childish.
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

How does suspending an account add value to their bad behavior?

If anything it makes it so that they can't keep spouting their bad behavior, polluting the thread. The only thing adding "value" to it is when people keep discussing the people not worth discussion.

Can we please move on. Though after 35 pages one must wonder if this thread can go much further. ;)
rgw

The Final Step: Acceptance

Post by rgw »

You know, Horlander and crew are good artists...they'll get it right eventually. They just need to read up on how to make 'XP-ish' icons and they'll be fine. I just hate that licensing issues led to a 'long walk off a short bridge' for Qute. Especially since Qute was already there in terms of the native look. There is a lot of work left before winstripe will approach Qute's level of excellence, but if any one can do it...it is those guys.
paulm

Post by paulm »

djst wrote:It would be very interesting to know why it had to go in so soon? We have a much more finished theme already available in Qute, which has undergone countless of improvements since Firefox 0.8. Why couldn't Winstripe wait until 1.0 Beta for example?

Surely 1.0 Beta is exactly the wrong time to drop something like this in.
In should be put in well before Firefox hits 1.0 so it has time to mature appropriately before 1.0 hits.