Firefox 0.9 compatible Themes

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Quark

Post by Quark »

You're running the files from Windows' perspective, not installing them.
Try downloading them, then drag the downloaded file onto the Themes menu. That should install it correctly.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

Quark wrote:You're running the files from Windows' perspective, not installing them.
Try downloading them, then drag the downloaded file onto the Themes menu. That should install it correctly.

Well, that works, but it is completely non-intuitive. At the very least there needs to be something added to the Tools->Themes saying "Drag a theme file to this window to install"
Quark

Post by Quark »

Unfortunately, I don't know of any themes that are linked directly with the install command (at least not any that I've seen work).
deep_sky

Post by deep_sky »

Well a note needs to be placed in the themes manager. It basically renders the idea of having an alternate theme impossible unless you make some lucky guesses, and even then some themes still are not compatible once they are supposedly installed. I have been trying to figure out why iCandyJr won't install, and after much futzing and reading of the forums, I finally find out. Feh.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Quark wrote:You're running the files from Windows' perspective, not installing them.

That does not work for me. First, the new default theme has a bug where clicking on Tools/Themes will invoke the Extensions dialog box instead of the Themes one. Second, I try to open a Themes jar file but it will only open the default dialog box to let me choose either to run or save the file, instead of running the theme installer. :furious:
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
djl47

Post by djl47 »

wgianopoulos@yahoo.com wrote:They all produce a pop-up saying:
Java Virtual Machine Loader
Failed to load Main-class manifest attribute from [filename]

I was having the same problem and was able to install one of the compatable themes by dragging them. Of course the same thing happens when you click directly on the xpi file. The extension does not install.

Looking at the page source that Ben posted to install his test extensions made me appreciate how this browser interface can be configured to work seamlessly. Look at the page source here: http://www.bengoodger.com/software/mb/e ... stall.html

Can the same onclick install commands be used to install themes?

djl

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040607 Firefox/0.8.0+
fishbert

Post by fishbert »

As of June 6th, there is a 0.9-compatable experimental version of Charamel available.
And hell, it even works with the 'use theme' button. =)
website -- http://members.shaw.ca/lucx/
download -- http://members.shaw.ca/lucx/charamel-br ... mental.jar
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

fishbert wrote:As of June 6th, there is a 0.9-compatable experimental version of Charamel available.
And hell, it even works with the 'use theme' button. =)
website -- http://members.shaw.ca/lucx/
download -- http://members.shaw.ca/lucx/charamel-br ... mental.jar

Is it supposed to install on the current branch (Aviary) build? It doesn't work for me. :cry:
djl47

Post by djl47 »

Tried Smoke and and Apollo and could not get either one of them activated.

Redcats :omg: and Qute Retro both work fine and activated when I clicked the Use Theme button.

CatThief wrote:<b>Mostly Crystal</b> should work. (The version number on the jar file will be changed when the release of 0.9 is official.)
Linux and Windows:
http://www.catthief.com/mozilla/firefox ... l_ff_8.jar

Worked when I installed it. I like it so far. My bookmarks toolbar folder looks best using this theme.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040607 Firefox/0.8.0+
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

djl47 wrote:Worked when I installed it. I like it so far. My bookmarks toolbar folder looks best using this theme.

How were you able to install a new theme on the branch build? The extension/theme manager on my Linux branch build (2004-06-07) is completely broken.
aaron

Post by aaron »

djst

Post by djst »

http://www.turbogfx.net/firefox/ffmodern/ffmodern06.jar doesn't seem to work. (Firefox Modern)
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

aaron wrote:Could I have a moderator update the links in the first post please? I have done some updates to my themes, and now that I know that you can package 0.8 and 0.9 themes in the same jar file, I no longer use a separate file for 0.9 themes.

Do you intend to produce a 0.9 compatable Blue or Rain theme?
aaron

Post by aaron »

I do not. Those themes do not have Firefox or Thunderbird versions. To be honest, if someone wants to port them to Firefox and Thunderbird -- be my guest. The back end code is a mess. I don't really wish to update those themes any more...
djl47

Post by djl47 »

daihard wrote:
djl47 wrote:Worked when I installed it. I like it so far. My bookmarks toolbar folder looks best using this theme.

How were you able to install a new theme on the branch build? The extension/theme manager on my Linux branch build (2004-06-07) is completely broken.

Just lucky I guess. Not all of the ones I installed worked. Right now I'm running "Mostly Crystal" and it hasn't hosed anything up yet. Of course I started with a clean install and new profile when I installed this build.