Show Old Extensions 0.1.7

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

Pike wrote:Preliminary Theme Support

There are still some slight problems with this so I've defaulted it to off for the time being, to turn it on you need to add a pref (about:config->right-click->New->Boolean or just plonk it in prefs.js or user.js). Set showoldexts.enable_theme_support to true. You can then add your theme to the chrome directory and add an entry in installed-chrome.txt, it should show up and allow you to enable it.

One problem I've had is that enabling some old themes seems to kill the extension/theme managers (maybe because they don't set the relevant bindings?), the weird thing is I'm sure this didn't happen earlier so I don't know what's going on there.

Woo Hoo! WTG!!!!

Okay, the following image depicts which themes I had registered in the install-chrome.txt file. I was able to enable all of them and had varying success with them:

• Sky Pilot Classic both displayed okay and allowed me to re-enable the default theme, Wheeeeeee!
  • Pinball displayed okay but when going back into Options>Themes, the themes display went full screen and displayed the GSoD (aka Grey Screen of Death) where no theme list was displayed to reselect another theme, explained more fully below.
  • Mozilla Firebird (Live) is simply an unarchived (expanded) copy of Qute as of a few days ago (I use it for testing.) It behaved just as Sky Pilot Classic, above.
  • Smoke didn't display well and did the same as Pinball when going back into Options>Themes.
Now, both the Pinball and Smoke versions I have are somewhat dated so that may have something to do with it?? Also, after getting a GSoD, the only way I was able to get FireFox Options > Themes working again was to delete the "extension" directory in the profile and re-install your extension.

I hope this helps and this really is a godsend for us theme designers.

EDIT:

btw, nice choice for an icon
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

An Update.

I was looking at the Pinball contents.rdf file and hadn't noticed anything out of place so I began wondering whether my theme (and Qute) working okay were flukes. As seen from the image above, I downloaded and unarchived Mostly Crystal and added it to installed-chrome.txt and tested it.

It worked just like my theme and Qute so I'm not quite sure what's amiss with the others, at this point???
Ravenlock

Wow!

Post by Ravenlock »

This is a great tool, especially now that RC1 is out and a lot of useful extensions still haven't made the jump. Thank you!

Can we get this added to texturizer's main extension site? I bet a lot of people don't know about it - I didn't until I searched the forums.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Pinball 0.9 is out, but it has a minor bug. As for getting extensions listed on texturizer.net, submissions are welcome via the posted guidelines.

Pike, I love this thing. And the Update works, which really rocks my socks.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

alanjstr wrote:Pinball 0.9 is out, but it has a minor bug.

I just confirmed that Pinball 0.9 seems to have resolved the problem with the previous version. However, the buttons on the primary-toolbar are skewed which seems to be due to the toolbar height being clipped to the URLBar height?

This isn't due to this extension since it does the same thing when I install it normally. Is this the minor bug?
Pike

Post by Pike »

I did attempt to get SOE to supply the relevant manager bindings itself as slang123 suggested but haven't had much luck in that department, I'm not even sure if it's possible to do it without breaking theming of the manager. Thanks for the theme info Sailfish I'll take a look and see if I can find out more information by comparing those themes.

And just for reference I released a minor update earlier today (0.1.3) to fix Theme preview images not displaying (plus some other trivial stuff that I doubt anyone noticed).
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

Pike wrote:I did attempt to get SOE to supply the relevant manager bindings itself as slang123 suggested but haven't had much luck in that department, I'm not even sure if it's possible to do it without breaking theming of the manager. Thanks for the theme info Sailfish I'll take a look and see if I can find out more information by comparing those themes.

I don't mind doing more investigation on my end if I knew specifically what to look for. What do you/slang123 mean when you refer to "manager bindings"?

Pike wrote:And just for reference I released a minor update earlier today (0.1.3) to fix Theme preview images not displaying (plus some other trivial stuff that I doubt anyone noticed).

I did and installed and enjoyed it immediately...thanks again.
slang123

Post by slang123 »

Look in the defualt theme for a file called richview.xml. Without this file the exstensions dont show, the css files arent essential so i was wondering if the exstension could provide this. specifically as long as chrome://mozapps/skin/shared/richview.xml exists, the extension manager will be usable even in old themes
Last edited by slang123 on June 9th, 2004, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

Very Good!

I just confirmed that neither of the two themes above (Pinball 0.8.1 and Smoke) that caused problems had that file included. Actually, they were both missing other recent mozapps directories (shared, extensions and update).

As soon as I added them, both themes now worked properly.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Pinball 0.9 has those files, thanks to cdn.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

I just got around to testing 0.1.3 on Thunderbird (build 20040607) and while the old extensions show up in the Extension Manager, the installed-chrome.txt registered themes do not (as they do with Firefox).

Can this be accommodated?
Pike

Post by Pike »

Sailfish wrote:I just got around to testing 0.1.3 on Thunderbird (build 20040607) and while the old extensions show up in the Extension Manager, the installed-chrome.txt registered themes do not (as they do with Firefox).

Can this be accommodated?

I just tried this with the first TB theme I could find (Charamel in this case) and it worked fine (except the default theme shows up twice, once as new and once as old). Did you remember to set the showoldexts.enable_theme_support pref, if you have set that pref and it still doesn't work could you point me in the direction of a theme where it fails? Thanks.
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

Pike wrote:Did you remember to set the showoldexts.enable_theme_support pref, if you have set that pref and it still doesn't work could you point me in the direction of a theme where it fails? Thanks.

Well, OF COURSE I DID!
{but then I had to subsequently deleted the profile and neglected to re set that particular pref} Opps! :_)

Thanks for responding, all it working well and I regret the false alarm.
Pike

Post by Pike »

It must be catching, I sat there for 5 minutes wondering why it wasn't working in TB (after having set the pref and installed a theme) only to realise it might help if I actually installed the extension...
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

*Idea*

Since your extension cannot tell the difference between extension's firefox support, why not give us the option to hide extensions listed by SOE. That way, we can go hide them ourselves instead of you trying to create a list of double-supported extensions