chiral motion not working in firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pajamasam

chiral motion not working in firefox

Post by pajamasam »

Hi
I just recently bought an Acer 5920G, i have enabled Chiral Motion on the mousepad, works fine in every program except firefox, can anyone please help?
I am running Firefox 3.0.6 on Vista Home Premium. I am running a number of addons (if the list is needed just ask) but it doesn't seem to work either with a fresh profile.

thanks
the-edmeister

Re: chiral motion not working in firefox

Post by the-edmeister »

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
pajamasam

Post by pajamasam »

hey thanks for the quick reply
the link on that page is dead (the dell link is working but not the synaptics one), and also i am referring to chiral motion, not normal virtual scrolling, normal virtual scrolling works fine when i disable chiral motion.

i will try to update the drivers, and see if they work

thanks
pajamasam

Post by pajamasam »

hmm after downloading the 'latetst' drivers (which can be found here: http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers ) it seems that "my current drivers are newer than the downloaded drivers" (according to the installer)..
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

What is a "chiral motion"?
I can only find a reference for that as being related to chemistry terminology, nothing related to computers or software.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=chiral

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
pajamasam

Post by pajamasam »

oh sorry about that, erm chiral motion is this feature of synaptics touchpads that allow you to have infinite scrolling by making a circly movement on the touchpad. kind of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeqkmHZCMYE but then on a touchpad and it scrolls on the program.

I quote from the mouse settings:
ChiralMotion scrolling, a unique kind of Virtual Scrolling, allows you to scroll continuously with one, smooth circular motion. Scrolling speed is controlled by the speed of finger motion. To scroll rapidly, make small quick circles. To scroll slowly, make large circles and move your finger slowly. The direction of scrolling can be reversed by changing the direction of motion.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Oh, I see! They had to coin a term for that, "circular motion" wasn't good enough.

Have you tried the Acer support forum? I haven't been there for about 8 months, but recall it was some help when I still had an Acer laptop. It was "lost" last summer and I got an Asus Netbook that I can put into a (big) coat pocket in the colder months, and it weighs 1/4 of what the Acer weighed - easier to carry for my job and it does what I need it to do for job reporting and killing time on the job.
pajamasam

Post by pajamasam »

thanks for the info, i just created a new post over there. thanks :)

Post by Guest »

i had the same problem, but i think i found out a kind of glitch that allows you to use it in firefox
if you start scrolling from the very bottom right corner of your touchpad, where the regions for the horizontal and vertical scrolling begins, the icon for chiral motion does not appear, but this somehow allows you to use chiral motion in mozilla firefox.
since its pretty much a dot where this occurs, its hard to use, but im getting used to it.
making very small circles around that area seems to help as well
Hosh1

Post by Hosh1 »

Its Hosh, cba to login.. but for everyone with this problem, i have found a fix for it. Works 99.99% of the time :) make a new shortcut linking to: "taskkill /im SynTPEnh.exe" (without the quotes), put the shortcut in the startup folder, and it should work fine :)
Hosh1

Post by Hosh1 »

Anonymous wrote:Its Hosh, cba to login.. but for everyone with this problem, i have found a fix for it. Works 99.99% of the time :) make a new shortcut linking to: "taskkill /im SynTPEnh.exe" (without the quotes), put the shortcut in the startup folder, and it should work fine :)
that is after a restart btw, if you want it to work straight away, just run the shortcut and you're all set!
Altay_H

Post by Altay_H »

Killing SynTPEnh.exe didn't fix it for me. It just killed the Synaptics driver, preventing all scrolling. Fortunately ChiralMotion scrolling works perfectly in both Chrome and Opera, so I just switched browsers.

I should point out that Firefox isn't the only program that doesn't work with ChiralMotion scrolling. Interestingly, the start menu in Vista/7 doesn't work either.
Altay_H

Post by Altay_H »

EDIT: I just tried killing SynTPEnh.exe again, and this time it worked. I guess the first time I tried it fell into the 0.01% of the time it didn't work. Thanks for the solution. This also fixed the scrolling for the start menu.
shaytana

Post by shaytana »

Hosh1 wrote:Its Hosh, cba to login.. but for everyone with this problem, i have found a fix for it. Works 99.99% of the time :) make a new shortcut linking to: "taskkill /im SynTPEnh.exe" (without the quotes), put the shortcut in the startup folder, and it should work fine :)

Thank you, this worked perfectly.