[Ext] Net Notes - Store Notes on Websites in your Bookmarks

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
madblueimp

Re: [Ext] Net Notes - Store Notes on Websites in your Bookmarks

Post by madblueimp »

Did you make sure that the URL (the website adress in the location bar) is exactly the same?
If yes, is there any output in the error console related to Net Notes?
LLane

Post by LLane »

Yes, because I was using the bookmark to navigate to the page. I went to the page via the bookmark and typed. Closed the notes sidebar. The note wasn't saved. Upon scanning I didn't see anything regarding Net Notes in the Error Console. Should I just typed "Net Notes" in the "code" section and hit Evaluate to try to find any Net Notes-related error? I had just installed Toolbars and Bookmarks' Tooltips when the issue popped up, and I've disabled it for now, trying to see if there was maybe a conflict that had caused the problem. Because Net Notes has never had a problem saving notes on Livejournal before; it was a new issue. Oddly enough, I *was* able to save on a non-Livejournal page without issue around the same time the issue popped up on livejournal. I really don't know what could be going on. Just three losses of notes coming out of nowhere.
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

Errors related to Net Notes can be filtered with "netNotes".
If you can reproduce this problem on livejournal, maybe you can write down the steps so I can have a look.
You could also try to reproduce it in a fresh Firefox profile (with only Net Notes installed) to make sure it's not an incompatibility with another add-on.
LLane

Post by LLane »

I don't see any errors related to Net Notes.

Since disabling Toolbars and Bookmarks' Tooltips and re-enabling Boox (which I have been using in conjunction with Net Notes since I first installed your extension), I have been able to save a couple of notes on LJ. I must admit that I haven't tested to see if re-enabling T&BT will cause the same error of notes failing to save.
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

I've just released version 0.0.2.0 of Net Notes, which adds a statusbar icon and the "save as you type" feature. Both can be enabled via about:config.
LLane

Post by LLane »

Save as you type is working nicely. Thank you so much!
jpfleury

Post by jpfleury »

Hi.

First, thanks a lot for this extension. I think that this extension has a big potential to assist us in our bookmarks and information management, but unfortunately, I think also that there's a big lack of Firefox that prevents to use the full potential of "Net Notes". It's the ability to search bookmark description.

Would it be possible to add to "Net Notes" extension the possibility to search Notes in the Firefox’s Bookmarks Library (Organize Bookmarks) for example? "Net Notes" extension would be even more useful, because the information should be quickly and easily accessible.

Thanks.
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

Hi jpfle,

the possibility to search withing the description fields of the bookmarks is already on the TODO list for Net Notes.

Regards,
Sebastian
jpfleury

Post by jpfleury »

madblueimp wrote:the possibility to search withing the description fields of the bookmarks is already on the TODO list for Net Notes.

I've been waiting for a long time for this possibility. It's really a very good news! :) May I ask some questions about what is expected in the TODO list, and share some suggestions?

1) Is it a specific search feature to Net Notes that is expected (for example a specific window for searching) or an integration with Firefox (for example an improvement of "side bar", "awesome bar", "library" search...)?

2) Would it be possible to search description at the same time that other information (title, url...)?

3) Also, I use very often folders to classify search sessions and to classify a batch of bookmarks which have points in common. The description field of the folder can be used to explain the search session. It would be very very very :) useful to be able to search also folder description field. For me, it would be the perfect complement of Net Notes. Is it possible?

Thanks a lot.
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

The TODO list for Net Notes:
- Right-clicking toolbar button/statusbar icon invokes Net Notes preferences window.
- Add feature to search within the description field of bookmarks.
- Add option to indicate existing Notes for the current page (flashing Net Notes icon?)
- Add option to show Net Notes in additional right sidebar.

I'm not sure yet how the description field search will be implemented.
I think best would be an integration into the bookmarks search feature of Firefox. But there may be a reason why the description field is not used as search field, and I don't know yet if it will be feasible.
Searching within folder descriptions might be added as well.
jpfleury

Post by jpfleury »

Hi Sebastian. Thanks for your response. See below my comments:

madblueimp wrote:- Add option to indicate existing Notes for the current page (flashing Net Notes icon?)

Maybe changing the icon color would be more discreet than flashing but as much effective.

I'm not sure yet how the description field search will be implemented.
I think best would be an integration into the bookmarks search feature of Firefox.

I think so.

But there may be a reason why the description field is not used as search field, and I don't know yet if it will be feasible.

I don't think there's a technical reason. I feel like it's rather that Mozilla doesn't see the benefit of searching description. For example, see this old bug (2004) that has been opened at the time of Firefox 0.10:

Bug 265048 - Search/find won't find text in the Description column
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=265048

Its status is still opened and still new.

Searching within folder descriptions might be added as well.

:) It would be very nice. :)
DonS

Post by DonS »

Am having problems with Net Notes. I like the concept very much, but have not been able to get it to work properly.

History:

Had installed Net Notes while using Firefox 3.08. Noticed that the notes box would not clear when changing web pages or web sites. I.e. Message entered while on web page A would still be present after changing to page B, C, etc.

l uninstalled and reinstalled - to no avail.

I upgraded to Firefox 3.09, now I cannot get the sidebar to appear.

Using windows XP - Home Edition, SP 3.

If other info is needed, please let me know. ](*,)
LostLion

Post by LostLion »

I'm using Secure Login, Autofill forms, and Net Notes. They are excellent addons and I often recommend them to my clients.

I've run into a slight problem with Net Notes. If I completely disable the keyboard shortcut, the shortcut defaults to the Tab key. If I enter any other shortcut, it works correctly.

I use the Tab key frequently, so that means that I must enter a shortcut into Net Notes so that Tab will behave properly. The problem with that is that so many others programs insist on assigning their own shortcuts (and not necessarily allowing their deactivation). Eventually you run into the problem of conflicting shortcuts. For this reason I like to disable shortcuts on everything except the few that I actually use. Also, I have some hand problems and really hate accidentally activating them when I am just trying to type (I've got one on there right now that completely clears the screen if I activate it. I still haven't traced down what program has assigned this nightmare to my keyboard).

Also, I'd like to ask about how secure our notes are. I'm not worried about local security, but rather if it is something that the nefarious may take an interest in. With all these new bookmark sharing scripts cropping up all over, is this a field likely to be shared (or grabbed on purpose by malicious code)?
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

jpfle wrote:
madblueimp wrote:- Add option to indicate existing Notes for the current page (flashing Net Notes icon?)

Maybe changing the icon color would be more discreet than flashing but as much effective.

Agreed.

jpfle wrote:For example, see this old bug (2004) that has been opened at the time of Firefox 0.10:

Bug 265048 - Search/find won't find text in the Description column
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=265048

Thanks for the info.

@DonS:
I would try to install Net Notes into a fresh Firefox profile. If this works, we can try to sort out if it's an incompatibility to another add-on or another problem.

LostLion wrote:I'm using Secure Login, Autofill forms, and Net Notes. They are excellent addons and I often recommend them to my clients.

Thanks. )

LostLion wrote:I've run into a slight problem with Net Notes. If I completely disable the keyboard shortcut, the shortcut defaults to the Tab key. If I enter any other shortcut, it works correctly.

I will analyze and address this problem as soon as I find the time to continue work on Net Notes.
It would be good if you could submit this bug to Net Notes bug tracker:
http://netnotes.mozdev.org/bugs.html

LostLion wrote:Also, I'd like to ask about how secure our notes are. I'm not worried about local security, but rather if it is something that the nefarious may take an interest in. With all these new bookmark sharing scripts cropping up all over, is this a field likely to be shared (or grabbed on purpose by malicious code)?

Notes stored in Net Notes are about as secure as notes stored in a simple text file on your filesystem.
As long as you don't install and use a bookmark sharing system they won't be shared.
Script code in websites cannot access your bookmarks info (and therefore neither your Net Notes).
However if there's a security flaw in Firefox allowing arbitrary code execution, your notes might be read, but so might any other unencryoted data on your filesystem.
oxk4r

Post by oxk4r »

Very usefull add-on, but the "choose folder" option doesn't work.