Sorry if this has been Disscused

http://www.smartfox.org

SmartFox Browser

# 100% Open Source
# Blocks Pop-Ups
# Stops Spyware
# Internet Acceleration
# Enhanced Privacy

Found This Via "SharedHolder" FST Member.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

Based on 100% open source mozilla technology
lid2000

Post by lid2000 »

WTF!? The entire browser is Firefox but with only a name change. Why would someone bother?
gids

Post by gids »

It's all allowed though, but daft
Last edited by gids on June 12th, 2004, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
subferno

Post by subferno »

Thats a great laugh
Firefox 12
Win 7 Ultimate 64
AMD64 3000+ Gigabyte x800 1.5 gig RAM
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

lid2000 wrote:WTF!? The entire browser is Firefox but with only a name change. Why would someone bother?

Why? Why do we bother making themes? It's turning out to be a pain in ass if you have many themes - once im "done" with a theme it's hard to go back. We don't get paid for it so why? Really, I don't know. What I do know is I make themes primarily for myself (I think) as I like icons and I want them on my browser - and i'm not patient enough for someone else to make it. Distribution of themes is a benifit of my obsession with icon art.
CoolCatBad

Post by CoolCatBad »

I bet they don't have permission to use Arvid Axelsson's theme and logo, they not open source.
lid2000

Post by lid2000 »

lynchknot wrote:
lid2000 wrote:WTF!? The entire browser is Firefox but with only a name change. Why would someone bother?

Why? Why do we bother making themes? It's turning out to be a pain in ass if you have many themes - once im "done" with a theme it's hard to go back. We don't get paid for it so why? Really, I don't know. What I do know is I make themes primarily for myself (I think) as I like icons and I want them on my browser - and i'm not patient enough for someone else to make it. Distribution of themes is a benifit of my obsession with icon art.

I don't think we're on the same wavelength here. I'm asking why the hell someone would bother changing the name and homepage of a browser, then passing it off as their own, without changing the theme or UI or anything. I mean Netscape's releases are significantly different to regular Mozilla (AIM, Netscape Webmail, six billion shortcuts on the desktop), but that browser there has virtually no changes to Fx.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

because they can -maybe it makes them feel good or something -

The source code for SmartFox is available here in the form of a diff against Mozilla Firefox v0.8.
- so he make a few channges in preferences with his specifications and renamed it - it is open source.
Ploum

Post by Ploum »

It's cool because perhaps that some people who don't know about mozilla will use this starfox or whatever. They are honnest, they say that the browser is based on Mozilla/Firefox and they link to the mozilla donation page.
wget

Post by wget »

I'm always vary about repacks of open source applications. They almost always end up ignoring the license (although this project does seem to provide sources). This doesn't look like more than a string replacement though.

I guess this project proves that it was a very good choice to trademark the Firefox name and brand.
To the cast and crew of Arrested Development: Thanks for the many great laughs.
vaibhav

Post by vaibhav »

firefox 0.8 is 6.3 mb big. smartfox is 7.57mb. i wonder wat they dun to it....
Vaibhav
wget

Post by wget »

They probably didn't use 7zip, I guess.
To the cast and crew of Arrested Development: Thanks for the many great laughs.
InvisiBill

Post by InvisiBill »

http://www.smartfox.org/Support.html

Heh, they say it's based on Mozilla and Firefox, so come here "for online support regarding these open source programs". It's pretty vague as to whether he's saying to come here for Moz and Firefox support, since SmartFox is similar, or if he's saying that SmartFox is directly supported here.
nilson

Post by nilson »

Check out the diff. The only change is the title and start page.

edit: (OK, so there are a few more)
Last edited by nilson on June 13th, 2004, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.