MozillaZine

[Ext] Gmail Manager 0.6.4.1 - Manage multiple Gmail accounts

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
destiny1

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 8:41 am

Add me to the list of many having trouble accessing gmail now that I've installed the latest Gmail Manager. Either I can't get in at all due to endless redirect loops or it takes forever to load (and it only very rarely loads in FF) then it won't let me actually use Gmail because the moment I try to do anything it starts the redirect loop problem. I've tried deleting cache and cookies, restarting my browser and computer - nothing helps. It's definitely the extension.

I do know from giving in and accessing my Gmail in IE because one of my accounts would be buried by a high volume list if I didn't, that the count is accurate now.

explosion242

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 8:43 am

I too am having problem and this is one of the most used add ons that I use. I have 4 accounts. Please fix. WAAAAAA! *Sob* *Sniffle*

hellyea

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 10:35 am

I was having problems with the redirect as well. I downloaded .5.7 and its working well now. I think .5.6 just had a glitch. Get .5.7

tmlong

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 11:34 am

I'm working on preventing the redirect loop. The issue appears to be due to duplicate cookies which Google gets confused with when trying to login the account. Once Gmail Manager hands off the login (i.e. click the account in the toolbar) it's really up to Google at that point to login who is really causing the fun redirect loop. Anyway, I'll have the cookie issue hashed out shortly and have a nice new build up for grabs. Sorry about the issue and thank you for the heads up as I wasn't immediately seeing it!

Also, the reason I believe some of you were still not getting the correct unread count the Gmail Offline is because I wasn't using the correct cookie mechanism. Basically, the cookie mechanism I was using before would not work if the option "Accept third-party cookies" was not checked. So, hopefully this new version will resolve that as well as this redirect loop madness!!!

- TL

LightningMk6

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 12:06 pm

tmlong wrote:I'm working on preventing the redirect loop. The issue appears to be due to duplicate cookies which Google gets confused with when trying to login the account. Once Gmail Manager hands off the login (i.e. click the account in the toolbar) it's really up to Google at that point to login who is really causing the fun redirect loop. Anyway, I'll have the cookie issue hashed out shortly and have a nice new build up for grabs. Sorry about the issue and thank you for the heads up as I wasn't immediately seeing it!

Also, the reason I believe some of you were still not getting the correct unread count the Gmail Offline is because I wasn't using the correct cookie mechanism. Basically, the cookie mechanism I was using before would not work if the option "Accept third-party cookies" was not checked. So, hopefully this new version will resolve that as well as this redirect loop madness!!!

- TL

Many thanks for updating us on your progress, this extension as many have commented is one that you just can't be without. Will keep checking for an update.

Regards
David
If its working, leave it alone!!!

tmlong

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Ok, I believe I've hashed out the issues after exhausting tests on my end =) I haven't submitted the extension to AMO yet as I would like to get some feedback here first. Please let me know if you have any issues with this release as I know you'll be happy to express your concerns ](*,) Again, this release should address the redirect loop and the issue of some users not seeing the correct unread count with having Gmail Offline enabled. Thanks again for your patience and I apologize for the recent issues.

http://www.longfocus.com/firefox/gmanager/releases/gmanager0571.xpi

- TL

LightningMk6

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 1:21 pm

Good one, I have just applied your 0.5.7.1 update, and it does indeed work a treat. Everything seems to be fine now.

Thank you for getting this sorted out at record speed. I can only speak for Firefox 3.0.6, but am a happy boy now.

NightAvatar

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 1:22 pm

Like many user have already reported, it is now impossible for me to log into my gmail accounts automatically. Each time I start Firefox, I get a popup for each account asking for a password. And each new window that opens, be it a popup or what have you, during my session I get the same gmail account alerts asking for passwords.

It has become so irritating that I have had to turn off automatic login and log into each account on my own, whenever I want to check mail.

Obviously this makes the extension rather useless.

Since SO MANY have reported the exact same issue, I hope the developer can take us seriously and look into it.

I use Windows Vista and the latest release of Firefox (3.0.6) and your 0.5.7.1 update for this extension. I have had this issue for the last 2 months or so. It may be something to do with a Vista security setting but I have no idea how to find out. It HAS worked on this computer with Vista before. It just stopped suddenly a couple months back.

Thanks for my favorite extension (if you can get it to work again)! Cheers!

tmlong

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 1:27 pm

NightAvatar wrote:Like many user have already reported, it is now impossible for me to log into my gmail accounts automatically. Each time I start Firefox, I get a popup for each account asking for a password. And each new window that opens, be it a popup or what have you, during my session I get the same gmail account alerts asking for passwords.

It has become so irritating that I have had to turn off automatic login and log into each account on my own, whenever I want to check mail.

Obviously this makes the extension rather useless.

Since SO MANY have reported the exact same issue, I hope the developer can take us seriously and look into it.

I use Windows Vista and the latest release of Firefox (3.0.6) and your 0.5.7.1 update for this extension. I have had this issue for the last 2 months or so. It may be something to do with a Vista security setting but I have no idea how to find out. It HAS worked on this computer with Vista before. It just stopped suddenly a couple months back.

Thanks for my favorite extension (if you can get it to work again)! Cheers!

Hey, I'm really sorry that the extension is asking for your password each time you try to login to an account. You're right that others have experienced the same issue and I do take it very seriously. I've unfortunately not been able to consistently duplicate the issue which makes it difficult to diagnose. Hopefully once this Gmail Offline login/redirect loop issue gets worked out I can get back to looking into this. I'm curious as to how many accounts you have? Also, if you disable the automatic login do your accounts still ask for the password when you try to login to them (i.e. after you've entered the password and restarted the browser)? Thanks.

- TL

LightningMk6

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 1:36 pm

I have 2 gmail accounts and they are now working perfectly well with automatic log on selected, without any redirects with this 0.5.7.1 update.

simla29

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 1:49 pm

Thank you really for your efforts to make the add-on working fine! (sorry for the quality of my language, it's not my mother tong).

Here is the problem now (I have carefully tested all the cases, deleting cookies and restarting Firefox regularly):
- If I have my two gmail accounts configured to work with gmail offline, there is 0 mail showed for my two accounts.
- If I have only one or zero of my two gmail accounts configured to work with gmail offline, there is the correct mail count showed for my two accounts! (even the one which have gmail offline enabled).

I have never seen the loop error however :) I specify that I have the option "Accept third-party cookies" checked.

Thank you again for your time! And gmail manager rocks! :)

PS: before the 0.5.7.1 (with the 0.5.7 and previous), if one or two of my accounts had gmail offline, the two showed 0 mail for my two accounts. I had to disable gmail on the two accounts to show the right mail count for the two accounts.

Ademos

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 2:42 pm

Functioning perfectly with the 0.5.7.1 update.

Thank you for such a fast fix. =D>

NightAvatar

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 2:43 pm

tmlong wrote:Hey, I'm really sorry that the extension is asking for your password each time you try to login to an account. You're right that others have experienced the same issue and I do take it very seriously. I've unfortunately not been able to consistently duplicate the issue which makes it difficult to diagnose. Hopefully once this Gmail Offline login/redirect loop issue gets worked out I can get back to looking into this. I'm curious as to how many accounts you have? Also, if you disable the automatic login do your accounts still ask for the password when you try to login to them (i.e. after you've entered the password and restarted the browser)? Thanks.

- TL

Sounds good, I'm glad you're planning to look into this soon. I'll be happy to provide any info you need to help duplicate the issue.

I have 3 Gmail accounts. Even if I only have 1 or 2 of them set to automatically log in, it won't do it.

It asks for the password the first time I try to log in, even with auto login disabled. Once I have entered the password, it remembers it and works fine until I close the window or start a new session.

One strange thing is it will not allow me to press the "ok" button in the login popup/alert. I press it and nothing happens. To exit the dialog I have to click "cancel" or the red X at the top right. BUT it seems to save the password when I click "ok" even though it doesn't close the dialog box or give any sign that it recognized me pressing the ok button. Because once I get out of the dialog (by clicking "cancel" (after ok) or the red X) then I just have to left-click the Gmail-manager icon in Firefox status bar and it starts loading/checking mail for that account.

tmlong

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 3:19 pm

simla29 wrote:Here is the problem now (I have carefully tested all the cases, deleting cookies and restarting Firefox regularly):
- If I have my two gmail accounts configured to work with gmail offline, there is 0 mail showed for my two accounts.
- If I have only one or zero of my two gmail accounts configured to work with gmail offline, there is the correct mail count showed for my two accounts! (even the one which have gmail offline enabled).

Ok, I'm doing some more debugging and haven't seen this issue yet. I setup a new Firefox profile with three of the accounts having Gmail Offline enabled and logging in and out of the accounts seems to work like it should (i.e. showing the correct unread count). I'll keep poking around to see if I can find something. Thanks for letting me know but it sounds like we're getting there =)

NightAvatar wrote:One strange thing is it will not allow me to press the "ok" button in the login popup/alert. I press it and nothing happens. To exit the dialog I have to click "cancel" or the red X at the top right. BUT it seems to save the password when I click "ok" even though it doesn't close the dialog box or give any sign that it recognized me pressing the ok button. Because once I get out of the dialog (by clicking "cancel" (after ok) or the red X) then I just have to left-click the Gmail-manager icon in Firefox status bar and it starts loading/checking mail for that account.

Ok, that's interesting that you're unable to press the OK button. It sounds like something with the code is failing if you're not able to press the OK button successfully. If you get a chance please try loading your browser (with auto login disabled), open the "Error Console" window from the Tools menu, make sure that the window is clear, next try logging into one of your accounts and press the OK button when the login window appears. Once you've done that close the login window and see if there are any errors in the "Error Console" window. If so, please post them here or shoot me an email (longfocus at gmail dot com) if there is a lot. Thanks.

- TL

kenmabmcc

Post Posted February 14th, 2009, 3:27 pm

Thanks for that, works great on Firefox 3.0.6
Last edited by kenmabmcc on February 14th, 2009, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Extension/Theme Releases