[Ext] ThumbsDown 0.22.5 - Bulk image downloader - 2016-03-28

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ake79

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.11 - Bulk/mass image downloader

Post by ake79 »

@giksos
True, in most cases. But in order to determine which image is the largest, you would to need to download every image. It would be wasted resources. And in edge cases, when the right image isn't the largest or it fails to load, you would get the wrong image thinking that everything went fine. All in all, I prefer more deterministic approach.

A little progress update. 0.12 is coming, hopefully this year. Nothing major, just some minor improvements. Mainly in Script Wizard.
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown
giksos

Post by giksos »

Wouldn't the http protocol allow you to check the size of a file without downloading it? Then if the largest promised file fails to load later, you can notify the user.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Yes, you could do http HEAD request and check the content-length. But in reality HEAD is not always properly implemented or even supported. At least in my experience. I haven't really tried it here though. It would probably work with some servers, fail with others.
giksos

Post by giksos »

I'd be keen to try that. Would it be possible using scripts only, or would one need to enhance the plugin? In latter case, I might offer some help (however not earlier than the end of December). I wanted to do some firefox hacking for a while now and this seems like a good opportunity :)
ake79

Post by ake79 »

You would need to change ThumbsDown itself. Custom scripts are actually quite limited by themselves.

The best approach would probably be to add a new helper function that custom scripts can use, like LOAD() is now. The "handler" for that function would then figure out the largest image on a page and pass on the image's url like RETURN() does now.

That would be actually relatively easy as you don't really need to change anything that already exists. A problem might be that that isn't necessarily fast and currently Script Runner executes only one script at a time.

But anyway, you are welcomed to try out how it works. Email me when you have the time and I can give you more guidance with the code.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Release 0.12 - ChangeLog

Added new script type: Wrapped. I haven't updated User Guide yet so short explanation. Previously, if a thumbnail lead to a web page that "wrapped" the actual full-size, you had use Custom script. Now you can just use Wrapped script. It can identify the full-size by img tag's id or url.

Script Wizard was largely rewritten. UI hasn't changed much as most of the changes are under the hood. Imho, it starts to be somewhat usable by now, though you still have edit regular expressions by hand when modifying an existing script.

Let me now, if you have troubles.
wooster11

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.12 - Bulk/mass image downloader

Post by wooster11 »

Just wanted to note in case you didn't already know it, ThumbsDown no longer works with the latest version of DownThemAll! I have 0.12 of ThumsDown and 1.1.0 of DownThemAll! Please make the compatibility fix. Thank you.
ake79

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.12 - Bulk/mass image downloader

Post by ake79 »

Release 0.12.1 - ChangeLog

Bumped DownThemAll! maxVersion to 1.1.* and fixed a couple somewhat major bugs. Shortcut keys have now a simple configuration UI.

Thanks for pointing out that DownThemAll! update wooster11.
fbarriga

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.12.1 - Bulk/mass image downloader

Post by fbarriga »

Are you interested in have a translation of ThumbsDown ? I've added the extension to BabelZilla. I think that you need to modify the source code to be able to use the generated translation. I can help providing the es-CL translation.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Yes, translations are always welcomed.

And now that ThumbDown is set up properly in BabelZilla ;) here's the link

Thanks fbarriga.
neojam

Post by neojam »

Hi ake79,
its nice to see that development of Thumbsdown is still going strong, thank you!

btw
What i wanted to ask you already a while ago, do you plan on adding an option to run Thumbsdown on all open tabs?
It would be a real time saver for galleries with multiple pages, if you could just open all pages in FF and then run Thumbsdown on all tabs, instead of going through each page manually...
ake79

Post by ake79 »

I don't know about strong but still going.

EDIT: Three latest reviews in amo: one star each. *Sigh* Oh well...

do you plan on adding an option to run Thumbsdown on all open tabs?

I see what I can do.

Next version (0.13) should come out when ff 3.1 is released.
neojam

Post by neojam »

Hehe, simply ignore those "reviews", since the reviewers are obviously idiots:
"...Too complicated. Unless you have some coding skills don't bother...."
Yep, you need some serious coding skills to write yourself a regex expression these days *facepalm*
or
"The idea seems sound, but basically you are spending so much time writing scripts that I can just click on the thumbnails and get them into tabs and get them that way"
.... #-o

I see what I can do.
Next version (0.13) should come out when ff 3.1 is released.

Well, i will be waiting ^_^
uviol5

Post by uviol5 »

hi i have small problem here.. its based on the example from user guide ... custom script based on 'imageID' i do all like explained and subsitute 'XXX' with value of image properites find on page with full size image: Element Id: thepic
so type in thepic in place of XXX and what i get in script runner is message "error (evaluating-1:thumbsdown_scripterror: typeerror: image is null (line 6))
whole script here:
switch (state) {
case 0:
LOAD(linkUrl);
case 1:
var imageId = "thepic";
var image = $(imageId);
RETURN(image.src);
}

could somebody help please? thanks!
ake79

Post by ake79 »

@uviol5:

In general, it would easier be to troubleshoot, if you could provide a sample. A web page with thumbnails on it, or just a page where those thumbnails lead to (the page with a full-size image). Though, I could take a wild guess and say imagevenue. Correct?

Anyway, your custom script seems fine. You replaced |imageId| variable correctly, so the problem is not there. To offer little explanation, the (somewhat cryptic) error is caused by the fact that there doesn't seem to be any element (image) with id "thepic" on the loaded page, and so |image| variable is empty (null).

Some basic checks. You using the latest version, 0.12.1? You are sure that the right script is run? You haven't inadvertently created two script with the same name and the wrong one is run. And, you are sure that there are no frames on that page? The easiest way to check this is: go to that web page; open context menu; if you see "This Frame" menu entry, page has frames and your script won't work.

And, if I guessed right and this is imagevenue, it's quite common that the full-size image go missing (server is down, image is removed, etc.) even if the thumbnail loads fine. So check that the image you are trying to download actually exists. If it does, try downloading it again. Imagevenue's servers aren't the most reliably ones. Heavy load, I guess.

And finally, you probably don't actually need to mess with custom script in this case. Wrapped script should do just fine. And you should be able to create it with Script Wizard.

Hmm... Maybe I should write a basic troubleshooting section to the User Guide.