Firefox stopped opening

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
WillTC

Firefox stopped opening

Post by WillTC »

Two days ago Firefox started putting up several pop-up error boxes instead of opening. If I click OK on the pop ups, eventually Firefox will open, but a few things don't work as before and Firefox is very slow. I have the latest version of Firefox on XP. I even did a system restore to several days before this started happening and that did not fix it. The errors are copied below. Does anyone know what might have caused this and how to fix it?

Thanks!

<getLocalConfigFile>: TypeError: document.getElementById("winamptbstrings") is null

getLocalConfig>: TypeError: file is null

<firefoxLaunched> TypeError: tbStrings is null
WillTC

Re: Firefox stopped opening

Post by WillTC »

This seems odd, but here is what appears to fix this in case anyone else has the same issue, although from the lack of replies it seems maybe it was unique to my setup.

The latest version of Skype installs a Firefox Skype addon. Once I deleted that, Firefox works normally. Skype is fine also. I have no idea what the Skype addon was for, but it does not appear to be needed to use Skype,
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Sorry about the lack of replies, Will. I guess no one recognized that error message. Thank you for telling us how you fixed it. Skype is a problematic extension. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
WillTC

Post by WillTC »

Thanks Alan. Interestingly, while solving this problem, I noticed that sometimes even though I had closed Firefox and all seemed OK, I would find a Firefox process in task manager that appeared to be hung up just before finally shutting down. Skype seemed to be causing the errors I listed in my original message, but may have also been the cause of this phanthom hung Firefox process. As I noted I am not even sure why Skype added anything to Firefox. I just took it out and Skype still seems to run fine. Do you know what the Skype addon was for? Also is there an article or thread that you know of that explains how those extensions listed in your link actually cause problems? Just generally what they are doing that Firefox does not like? Thanks!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

This...from the Skype Help Site..
[q]
There is a Skype button in my Internet Explorer or Firefox toolbar, what does it do?

The Skype add-on for Internet Explorer and the Skype extension for Firefox highlight all the phone numbers on any webpage. Simply click on a highlighted phone number to make a call directly with Skype.
[/q]

The article contains quite a few links to threads etc that have problems associated with the extensions.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

You're welcome.

WillTC wrote:Do you know what the Skype addon was for? Also is there an article or thread that you know of that explains how those extensions listed in your link actually cause problems? Just generally what they are doing that Firefox does not like? Thanks!

I don't know. The Skype web pages should explain the purpose of the extension. A search on Skype in the Mozillazine or Firefox Support forums might lead you to a more detailed discussion of why it's problematic. Even a general web search might be informative.
WillTC

Post by WillTC »

Thanks Limpet - I had just found that and some other complaints about it on Google. The extension is to automatically use Skype to call phone numbers on web pages. Not usefull unless you pay for the service to call regular numbers. I only use Skype to talk to my kids who also have Skype and are scattered around the world right now. None of the results I found really described why the Skype extension is a problem, but who cares, I don't need it and removing it solved the issue. Thanks !

Interesting that you are in Australia. My oldest daughter just arrived there from being born, raised, and educated in Oregon. She is staying for 5 months on the other side of the country, Fremantle.
Last edited by WillTC on February 22nd, 2009, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Happy to throw some help your way.Image
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I think most of the reason is that it was badly written, poorly tested and pretty much unloved by Skype, Skype Users and the folks that developed it. :)
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
oneandonlychi

Post by oneandonlychi »

how do i remove this application??
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Errr, which application?
The Skype extension?
Tools > Addons > Extensions tab.
Click to highlight & hit "Un-install".........yada yada..
Close & re-open Firefox to complete.
As I do not use it that much, there may be a setting in Skype itself
that you can also "Un-check".