[Ext] Download Manager Tweak extension

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

it would be good if there was a feature that lets you set the number of simultaneous downloads, so for example i could set it to not have more than 3 downloads at once, and the rest gets queued... would be even better if you could make it site specific, so no more than 1 download from the same website/server at once...
what do you think? either that, or i could settle with the ability to start all downloads paused, which should be easier to implement...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040616 Firefox/0.9 (MOOX-AV)
FireFoxFlame

Post by FireFoxFlame »

dianoga7 wrote:Is it possible to add multi-threaded downloads? Something similar to what many third party download managers do to speed up downloads?

I've used DownloadExpress, a very tiny footprint, non-fancy freebee d/l manager from MetaProducts, http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpProduc ... .asp?id=18,
with [yeech] IE with good results. I haven't tried this extension improvement upon the FF default yet, but I have been able to gerrymander DExp to stack & d/l by dragging or pasting links & URLs onto its Projects List.

FF does at least an adequate job most times, but when I have many or very large files to d/l, DExp is preferable because I can specify priority, a/v scan, # threads, # of simutaneous d/l's, reconnection, retries, resume, and I can change HD location readily. Finally, DExp announces job completion by playing some overt wav file of my choosing.

Thought I'd reply to this thread not to tout MetaProducts, although I am implying it does answer Smokey's and others' requests and then some, but more in fact to put before FF's masters what I'd like to see.

Overall I am astounded by FF, this open source browser; I find a new feature/capability with every use. I have relegated IE to updating [yuck] Windows... period!

Thanks guys for a great product.
cimenta

Post by cimenta »

andman42 wrote:<i>care to share your tweak? </i>

Sure, but what would be the best way to do so? I edited quite a few files. Perhaps, I should post the jar files?

Hi, I've just started to use FF. I don't like the original download manger so much. Yours looks much much better. Why it's not in official release of FF???

C.
Gobd

Post by Gobd »

i don't know if this is the right place to ask but in the next version of this download manger do you think you could add in download sorting? Like the ability to sort downloads by which will finish first? Just like clickbars in filesharing programs and windows click once to have fastest at top and again to rder backwords. COuld also be done for file size, name, etc, i think it would be really usefull.
weedtoke

Post by weedtoke »

wow i just downloaded this for the first time and all i gotta say is WOW. this looks great. i love the way it looks over the way regular firefox DM did. way to go and keep up the hard work!
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

andman42 wrote:
TheOneKEA wrote:My biggest issue with the new DM is that it doesn't handle the installation of themes and extensions - the popup still appears when you have this extension enabled.

Huh, I never tried installing an extension. Oh well, this gives me something to fix for the next version :)

The newest version is very nice exept for this rather large issue. I only use the built in manager for extensions and themes, and while i would like to use it's features, I simply can't.
PMW@Orange

Post by PMW@Orange »

Is it possible to include a schedule feature in the nearest release? For instance - I point urls to 5 files I want downloaded and check an option "download one by one". Then, I go do something else and leave the DM to download my files...
andman42 - can this be done?

Regards.
andman42

Post by andman42 »

Hi. I updated the Download Manager Tweak extension to be compatible with Firefox 0.9.

You can visit the <a href="http://dmextension.mozdev.org/">homepage</a> to download it, or use this <a href="http://downloads.mozdev.org/dmextension/downloadmgr_050.xpi">direct link</a>.

This is just a "port" of the existing extension with no new features. There have been a lot of good feature suggestions, but unfortunately I haven't had time to work on the extension much.

Thanks.
zaheermk

Post by zaheermk »

It looks GREAT ! and is sure nice of you to share it with the community. If I'am not asking for too much, could you go in for a multiple (segmented) downloader like Download Accelerator Plus for MS Windows.
Go for FLOSS !
Zaheer Mohamed Kozhakkaniyil
PMW@Orange

Post by PMW@Orange »

zaheermk wrote:It looks GREAT ! and is sure nice of you to share it with the community. If I'am not asking for too much, could you go in for a multiple (segmented) downloader like Download Accelerator Plus for MS Windows.

Segmented downloading? Jeez, this is an extension not a standalone program... Adding such a feature would boost it's size to at least 1 mb...
intatia

Post by intatia »

It doesn't work for me:(
Click to install, all seems to go well.
Then I restart firefox0.9 and it hanging on finishing installing extensions, the only way around this is to delete the lines relating to it in $PROFILE/extensions/Extensions.rdf which of course means it doesn't exist anymore, ahh well.
xad

Post by xad »

Is anyone else getting unusual speed outputs?

For example, my max download speed is about 60k - when i download a file about 2mb in size, i'm looking for a place to save it in and find one and click ok - the speed output is something like 120k+ - which i know is incorrect. It then slowly goes down trying to reach 60k. Is it because the file is downloading even though i'm still looking for a place to save it in? I don't recall this happening with firefoxes download manager, with firefoxes download manager i recall it hovering around the 60k mark - like 58k one second 61k the other and so on and so on. Anyway to fix it?

Very nice download manager otherwise though.

**EDIT**
Downloaded latest version - seems to have fixed the problem - excellent extension
:D Image
Last edited by xad on June 22nd, 2004, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

andman42 wrote:Hi. I updated the Download Manager Tweak extension to be compatible with Firefox 0.9.

You can visit the <a href="http://dmextension.mozdev.org/">homepage</a> to download it, or use this <a href="http://downloads.mozdev.org/dmextension/downloadmgr_050.xpi">direct link</a>.

This is just a "port" of the existing extension with no new features. There have been a lot of good feature suggestions, but unfortunately I haven't had time to work on the extension much.

Thanks.

I have 0.4.3 working now with this build: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040621 Firefox/0.9.0+ (bangbang023)

I right click on it and go to "Update", and it comes back to me and says: "Firefox was not able to find any available updates."

Something fishy here.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

0.4.3 wasnt updated to the new EM
0.4.3 repackaged was, but is using another uuid then 0.5.0, so thats probabl why it doesnt find any updates
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

Plus there was a case sensitivity error which broke the extension on Linux systems, which I alerted sboulema to.

On Linux, Chrome != chrome ;) ;)
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618