Toolbar Enhancements 0.15

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

Naw....didn't work. It centers fine without the status bar height pref, but the bar is too big. Thanks anyway.
slang123

Post by slang123 »

Im not sure if this has been posted but:

.tbx-toolbar-plain > * {
-moz-appearance: statusbarpanel !important;
}

that in ur userchrome.css will make all statusbar icons not look like buttons when theyre moved.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

slang123 wrote:Im not sure if this has been posted but:

.tbx-toolbar-plain > * {
-moz-appearance: statusbarpanel !important;
}

that in ur userchrome.css will make all statusbar icons not look like buttons when theyre moved.

Nope. That didn't work either. Tried it with and without my Status Bar height pref. Same results as posted above. But thanks as well.
clav

Post by clav »

It seems winstripe sets the padding to 7px for .toolbarbutton-1!

You could try styling the new tab button directly:

#new-tab-button { padding: 0 !important }
aaron

Post by aaron »

Bozz, you could try my Basics extension that puts a new tab button on the left side of the tab bar.
http://www.mozthemes.tk
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

clav wrote:It seems winstripe sets the padding to 7px for .toolbarbutton-1!

You could try styling the new tab button directly:

#new-tab-button { padding: 0 !important; }

Still no go. I'll revert to using mouse gesture. Thanks for trying.
clav

Post by clav »

Toolbar Enhancements 0.14, for Firefox 0.9 only
(It may be several hours before the link works though; it took 3 hours for the new version of Flowing Tabs to get mirrored earlier today.)

Changes:
- removed the Page Cookies button
- removed the Clear Cache button
- removed the Zoom Reset button. (I might put it back if I someone provides a nice icon for it)
- changed the toolbar icons to match the "Winstripe" theme
- packaging suitable for Firefox 0.9, and not for earlier versions

Winstripe appears to use ludicrous amounts of padding on toolbar buttons. I've made tbx use no padding for its buttons when they're on a Small Icons + Icons Only toolbar, because that's what I'd expect toolbars in the status bar and the tab bar to be.
aaron

Post by aaron »

I'll update my themes to support TBX tomorrow -- lucky I still have 0.13 so I can grab all the icon placements from that and just make them !important for my themes :)
ehume

Post by ehume »

Um, so clav--just which button shall we use to clear our caches? The old one never showed a hover state or showed when you pressed it, but it worked.

[Edit] I suppose I will continue to use the 0.1.3 version, which works fine with 0.9. In particular, Arvid's icons go beautifully with SphereGnome, which is the theme I use. Putting Winstripes current dead flat icons on my leftbar would take away from the beauty of my browsing experience, which is awesome just now.[/Edit]

[Edit] In Arvid's original Firebird/Firefox default there are button icons featuring a lowercase red a with plus, minus and filled circle for text zoom in, out and rest, respectively. These seem perfectly understandable, and are visually quite pleasing. No need to ditch the zoom reset button. [/Edit]
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Umm, Clav, is there any way I can get the Qute icons back?
clav

Post by clav »

ehume wrote:Um, so clav--just which button shall we use to clear our caches?

Well there's one in Tools > Options > Privacy. If you would like the toolbar button back how about:
a) asking nicely
b) explaining why it is useful. The only use I can see is for web developers, and I thought they would be better suited by the Web Developer extension or something like that (though I've never used it). I may be wrong though.

The old one never showed a hover state or showed when you pressed it, but it worked.

Not having a hover state was because creating an extra icon was too much work. Not showing when it was pressed was a bug that I'd never really noticed (probably because all the buttons I have on the toolbars are from tbx apart from the Back and Forward buttons, and I rarely use those as I have a 5 button mouse).

In particular, Arvid's icons go beautifully with SphereGnome, which is the theme I use.

They're not Arvid's icons. They're icons I created from Arvid's ones, without permission, back when I was under the impression that Qute was MPL'd. I don't believe I can legally distribute those, and I certainly can't include them in an extension hosted on mozdev, unless Arvid releases Qute under some kind of Open Source licence.

In Arvid's original Firebird/Firefox default there are button icons featuring a lowercase red a with plus, minus and filled circle for text zoom in, out and rest, respectively.

Those aren't part of Arvid's theme; they were part of the extension.

These seem perfectly understandable, and are visually quite pleasing.

Thanks.
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

clav thanks for the update, but there seems to be a problem in your install.rdf. The <id> field in the extension description should contain a valid GUID, but yours contains "org.mozdev.clav.tbx". Interestingly enough this does not cause the installation to CONSISTENTLY fail, but it does seem to be producing some weird behavior. When I tried to install tbx 0.14 into my profile, it silently failed. When the installation progress bar finished it completely disappeared from the extensions window and no files were actually added to my profile (or they were added and then removed). When I tried to install it into the default profile, it installed using the directoty extensions/org.mozdev.clav.tbx, but afterwords I could not start Fx using that profile. Using a new, completely blank profile it worked (still using directory extensions/org.mozdev.clav.tbx) and seemed to work, but this is still inconsistent with how 0.9 extensions are supposed to be installed. When I switched that field in your install.rdf with a valid GUID ( {338CAC98-9B1D-47f5-A877-398984530702} <--generated using GUIDGen ) it installed and work in all three of those profiles.
ozXar

Post by ozXar »

just two suggestions in one

since 0.9 has a different window for extensions and themes
could you make new buttons for these, it would be gladly appreciated
clav

Post by clav »

Paradox52525 wrote:clav thanks for the update, but there seems to be a problem in your install.rdf. The <id> field in the extension description should contain a valid GUID, but yours contains "org.mozdev.clav.tbx".

That's because the reasons given for using GUIDs are a load of nonsense, and they make it very difficult to find a specific installed extension.

When I switched that field in your install.rdf with a valid GUID ... it installed and work in all three of those profiles.

And were these profiles identical to when you tried to install the non-GUID version of tbx? Or were they post installing and removing it (I assume you removed it since you said it made Firefox not start when using one of them)?
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

I agree that GUIDs are a load of nonsense. If you find a way to get your extensions working without them, please let me know, I'll do things the same way. I really dislike them and I hate having so many subdirectories within my profile. It seems totally counter-intuitive to me.

As for the profiles, I completely recreated the test profile and deleted everything out of the default profile (including the entire chrome folder and rdf files). My personal profile I didn't have to uninstall since it never copied the files to begin with.