Adblock n35/n36 Repackaged for Firefox 0.9 Extension Manager

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
lordmedikit

Adblock n35/n36 Repackaged for Firefox 0.9 Extension Manager

Post by lordmedikit »

The latest version of Adblock has been released that is compatible with both the branch and trunk. You can get it from here:

http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html

The rest of this post is now useless, but I might as well leave it.

It should also be noted that both of my download links will now redirect you to the latest build from the developer Rue (which at the moment is n39). This build onwards should work fine for you. I made this change to prevent further confusion of people using non-standard builds and in case anyone had hotlinked the files so that it would send them to a version that worked.

/end edit

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here is the current situation.

There are 4 versions of Adblock floating around at the moment. One type are the n35 and n36 versions and the other are n37 and n38 that are available from updates.mozilla.org (<a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=248279">not anymore</a>).

The n35/n36 versions are intended for all Firefox builds from the branch that includes Firefox 0.9 onwards. The newer versions are designed to rectify the problems the problems that stopped Adblock working on the trunk. The n35 version available from <a href="http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html">this page</a> can't be viewable from the extension manager, but everything works perfectly. The n37 and n38 versions can be viewed from the extension manager, but have broken features (e.g. not blocking Iframes, Flash and not Collapsing Elements).

The solution is this. This file is Adblock Nightly 36 that is designed for the branch with all features except Object Tabs working:

http://www.danielryan.org/files/Adblock ... atible.xpi

If you have any problems with n36 such as that you want to use Object Tabs then use this file (n35) with everything working:

http://www.danielryan.org/files/Adblock ... htly35.xpi

I have taken the n35 and n36 versions of Adblock that work perfectly on 0.9 and taken the installer parts from n37 and put them in one file. Of course I have changed some of the details such as the GUID.

This file should basically work fine on all branch builds (0.9.0+), but at the same time you will now see it in the extension manager the entry for this extension allowing you to disable it, uninstall it, etc:

Last edited by lordmedikit on July 3rd, 2004, 4:03 am, edited 14 times in total.
polidobj
Location: Maryland USA - im in ur tinderbox, crashtesting ur firefox

Post by polidobj »

Here's what I did:
Downloaded it.
Installed it by dragging the xpi on the client area.
Closed browser.
Opened browser.
It opened lightning fast so I figured the process didn't end.
Closed browser again, sure enough the process was still there.
Waited some then killed the process.
Started firefox - it started very slowly. Ity took at least twice as long for the window to appear.
But other than that it seems to be working and visible in the EM.
This is a 0.8 migrated profile and adblock picked up my old settings. :)
As for disabling the extension, disabling it with adblock's prefs works but disabling it through the EM does not work.
But still usable. I was able to block an iframe.
polidobj

Post by polidobj »

Oh and thank you very much for this version. I was waiting to install adblock until the problems you mentioned were fixed.

Oh and:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040614 Firefox/0.9
Brian J Polidoro - Today's bugs brought to you by Raid. :P
Windows7 - Firefox user since ~Feb 2002
lordmedikit

Post by lordmedikit »

The slow start would be due to it installing. Did this only happen once, it doesn't have any effect on my startup speed?
To disable extensions you have to restart the browser, did you do this? Again, it works for me.

Also, I have to mention, it is very important that you don't already have Adblock installed previous to doing this (any version) as it will probably conflict.
polidobj

Post by polidobj »

Oh ok I didn't know a restart was required to disable through EM. It does work for me that way. Nice to have the on-the-fly disable through the prefs.

I do get regular start times as expected. And I did not have a previous version installed. AFAIK only the prefs get migrated from 0.8.
lordmedikit

Post by lordmedikit »

Good. So so far it works for one other person. Feel free to spread the word about this if it works for you and do post to say merely if it just works as this will be important for getting them to change the current version on updates.mozilla.org (not that I know they will of course).

Also, if you are the extension developer and want me to remove this feel free to tell me as I realise I haven't asked you (since you rarely seem to be around) whether I can do this.
IdoMcFly

Post by IdoMcFly »

I've uninstall n35 by hand, installed yours, it says n36.
No problem so far.

what was broken in trunk for this n37 appears ?
lordmedikit

Post by lordmedikit »

Yeah, I forgot to say it's actually n36 that seems to work fine for me.

They changed the way that the trunk worked and that stopped Adblock working completely in the trunk, so someone released a n37 version that was supposed to work both in the branch and the trunk, but some of the features don't work in the branch and since people were complaining I released this to hopefully solve their problem.
IdoMcFly

Post by IdoMcFly »

where can I read some informations about differences between trunk and branch ?
lordmedikit

Post by lordmedikit »

Ido wrote:where can I read some informations about differences between trunk and branch ?

The short answer is in the FAQ:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=77318
And a longer explanation from actual developers (though not of Firefox) is in the longer answer link in the FAQ.
subferno

Post by subferno »

WFM :)
Firefox 12
Win 7 Ultimate 64
AMD64 3000+ Gigabyte x800 1.5 gig RAM
realitybath

Post by realitybath »

thanks lordmedikit. neither n35 nor n37 were working for me with 0.9 (even in the way you described for n35).
this ones perfect.
thanks again!
polidobj

Post by polidobj »

No hiccups this time when installing it at home.
Melgund

Adblock build 38

Post by Melgund »

I stumbled on a new Adblock build developed by Rue.
It can be downloaded from: http://homepage.mac.com/rue/Adblock/tes ... .5-dev.xpi
.Tom.

Post by .Tom. »

Adblock works fine for me. (the one at update.mozilla.org)

For an example, I can block Keith's song of the week box, and it's Flash. (uhh.. Shockwave, whatever)

There are certain things to remember.

1. make sure you do "remove ads" on the bottom radio button area
2. Adblock Options > Obj-Tags, and Adblock Options > Collapse Blocked Elements
3. after adding a filter, make sure you click "done" or press escape. It won't save your filter if you do Alt + F4 or if you press the X in the top left corner.