Thunderbird is coming.

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Olli

Post by Olli »

I gave roundabout a try, but I don't like it... the rules system is... mm vague, couldn't find standard stuff like automatic checking for mail and stuff like (or I must have somehow missed it).

I'm still sticking with sylpheed-claws, still works best for me:
Screenshot: http://www.xs4all.nl/~olli/stuff/screen ... lpheed.png
Chris Cook

Re: Theme support

Post by Chris Cook »

Neil Parks wrote:
Chris Cook wrote:Do you have any screenshots? The Pegasus mail website appears to be lacking in this regard.

There is a big one here:

http://my.en.com/~nparks/gcp/pegmail24.bmp

(Sorry for the large file size)

I hate to say it (if you're a big fan) but... ick. It may be a great program but I would prefer to only work on a theme that I would actually use.
Gene Poole

Post by Gene Poole »

heh. maybe I'm not 1337 enough, but it seems that when it comes to mail client themes, simplicity is best. for me, anyway...

I prefer to maximize screenspace and minimize icons, and I suppose that's customizable, of course, but adding an icon for every single function seems counterintuitive.

then again, maybe I'm missing something critical...I am a bit of a retrad. :)
Would you like to know more?
cdn

Post by cdn »

Chris Cook wrote:I am probably a bit premature here but it is unclear how themes will be installed in Minotaur since you can't browse to an install page. I presume the functionality will be added (ala cdn's theme installer extension?) at some point.

my linux build will take themer, via the editing files route

although the file open dialogue doesn't open, but that appears to be a bug in my minotaur build, since the opening code I used (borrowed from 'add signature') doesn't work in minotaur itself
themole

Post by themole »

To be honest. I'd rather have a working build before we mess around with themes! ;)
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

themole wrote:To be honest. I'd rather have a working build before we mess around with themes! ;)

I agree with that!
themole

Post by themole »

I think it's gonna be a race to see which I use.

PocoMail 3 (whenever that get's released)
or
Minatour (like that name!) something fairly stable

I use PocoMail 2.6x at the minute as it's bloody stable and can minimize to the tray. Just a shame about it's naff IMAP support. :(
flatrabbit

Post by flatrabbit »

yeah I'm much more interested in a stable build before I worry about themes. So far it works pretty well even in it's unreleased state. I can't wait for an offical release.
Piel

Post by Piel »

Chris Cook wrote:So basically you want an outlook theme, but with different icons. I might agree with that except that mozmail isn't an outlook/evolution clone (PIM) feature-wise so lacks some of the related UI. Also I don't think the mail specific evolution icons would fit well in a Luna theme. I think it would require an "evolution" theme, which isn't a bad thing.

An evolution theme for phoenix/whatever it will be called in the end and minotaur/whatever it will be called in the end would be great - if I only knew how to do any of that stuff....
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

Piel wrote:An evolution theme for phoenix/whatever it will be called in the end and minotaur/whatever it will be called in the end would be great - if I only knew how to do any of that stuff....

http://themes.mozdev.org/tutorial.html

Off you go then! :-)
Alex
Piel

Post by Piel »

I should have been more precise in my last post - I don't have the graphic design skills to do anything as cool as what there already is available. Thanks for the link though.
Piel

Post by Piel »

I'm still sticking with sylpheed-claws, still works best for me:
Screenshot: http://www.xs4all.nl/~olli/stuff/screen ... lpheed.png

Sorry to say this but, ick. I, as a general end user am often attracted to the UI of an application before I choose to use it or not (hence my love for Apple computers)...but even on Windows, I will gladly sacrifice geek power for the sake of a pleasing UI...This is one of the things that MS does well with Outlook, OE and yes, even IE (imho). Sure they suck for security, viruses, etc., but they do look nice....hence why I use Luna as a theme....hence why I suggested Ximian....they have great UIs which is one often under appreciated portion of open source apps (imho).

flame away....
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Ximian Evolution uses GTK+. Sylpheed Claws also uses GTK+. The fact that it has hideous scrollbars and refuses to obey system colours is a reflection of the state of GTK+ on Windows.

On the other hand, Minotaur both uses native-looking widgets and obeys my XP theming colours nicely. I don't mind the icons either.

- Chris
Chris Cook

Post by Chris Cook »

Piel wrote:....they have great UIs which is one often under appreciated portion of open source apps (imho).

flame away....

Flame...no. But it is unfair to say that open source UI's are under appreciated. Under funded and would be more accurate.
nrthomas

Building on linux

Post by nrthomas »

I've built Minotaur on linux using CVS to pull MINOTAUR_0_1_BRANCH with checkins up to 03/20/2003 <a href="http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsquery.cgi?treeid=default&module=all&branch=MINOTAUR_0_1_BRANCH&branchtype=match&dir=&file=&filetype=match&who=&whotype=match&sortby=Date&hours=2&date=week&mindate=&maxdate=&cvsroot=%2Fcvsroot">
(checkin list)</a>. Compiled ok after I installed all the required packages for my Mandrake 8.2 setup. But has anyone else noticed that while the minotaur homepage loads in the message pane at startup, none of the links work ? Neither does the Release Notes item on the Help menu. Retrieving mail (by POP) and other simple (mail orientated) tasks seem to work ok.

Since I'm new to compiling the mozilla family I figure this is my problem not Minotaur's. Can anyone who has done anything similar verify this for me.

Thanks