All words in all mailers underlined in red

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
nbishop

All words in all mailers underlined in red

Post by nbishop »

I posted to this forum this call for HELP! recently, but it seems that it did not get to the forum. OK: for the past several weeks, almost all words used in any mailer which I open with my Firefox browser--webmail, yahoo, hotmail, query services links on Canadian government pages, private company query links, etc--are UNDERLINED IN RED, no matter what language I type in (English and French, mostly).

SO this am I uninstalled Firefox, then re-installed it: the problem remains, all the words are underlined).

Many thanks to whoever can help me! I shall have to abandon Firefox if this continues. It does NOT happen when I use Netscape, IE or Opera. It is a Firefox-specific problem. Please send any anser to ** e-mail address removed by moderator ** as well as to this forum. Thanks, Firefox Friends! -- Neil
Micha the not so Old

Post by Micha the not so Old »

Please remove your email address, as spammers harvest them from public forums.

As for your problem, is this when you type a message, or is the received message underlined.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I removed your e-mail address because we do not give email support. To do so would deprive other users of the information offered in a response to your topic. More importantly, spammers harvest email addresses from public forums like this.
nbishop

m1scha_m's helpful response

Post by nbishop »

My apologies for m1scha_m and the Moderator: it was only because my first poting about my red underlining problem had not appeared on this forum that I made that suggestion. I agree with you both entirely that it is best for replies to appear here so that we may all learn.

Thanks, m1scha_m for asking your useful question: the reply is that the problem happens only when I type. However, if I reply to an e-mail, it automatically appears in the window and appears with all words unerlined in red. So the red underlining is a problem that occurs only when I am typing, or when a message I'm replying to is included in the reply window. In the present message, the only element not underlined is m1scha_ -- the "m" following the underscore in your username is underlined.

Thanks again to anyone who can help me fix this problem. I would like to continue using Firefox, my favourite browser (until the recent arrival of this red underlinging problem).

Best, Neil
Frank Lion

Re: m1scha_m's helpful response

Post by Frank Lion »

nbishop wrote:Thanks again to anyone who can help me fix this problem. I would like to continue using Firefox, my favourite browser (until the recent arrival of this red underlinging problem).

Best, Neil

Hi Neil, you do know that there is a new spellchecking feature in Firefox 2, don't you? The red underlining is showing you words that the Firefox dictionary (US English by default, others are available ) does not recognise and may well be misspelt.

You can turn off this useful feature under Options/Advanced?Browsing and untick, 'check spelling'.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Do you have a spell check dictionary installed?
Some localizations do not include a dictionary because of licensing issues.
You can find some dictionaries here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3

Some info:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dictionaries
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Deleting_spellcheck_entries
nbishop

Frank Lion and dickvl: Special Thanks!

Post by nbishop »

Here are special thanks to the two persons who usefully replied to my query about the red underlining problem I was experiencing when using all mailers accessed via Firefox.

Frank Lion wrote--relunctantly, one could sense--that it was possible to turn off the "very useful" spell-check feature in Firefox 2. I had not known that Firefox 2 had such a feature which was no doubt the cause of the red underlining in all e-mail typing (Frank, that included my typing in U.S. English, so it would seem that my problem did not result from Firefox's not recognizing a language other than US English).

I did deactivate Firefox 2's spell-check feature, and that seems to have cured the red underlining problem.

Browser spell-checkers seem to me to be of dubious value, because all the mailers and word processors I've encountered include their own spell-checker feature. Therefore, having one in one's browser is a redundant and useless feature--and a source of potential problems. I would cheerfully read refutations of my opinion.

Thanks, Frank, for supplying the info that solved my problem. I also thank dickvl for sending me potentially useful information on Firefox dictionaries.

Happy Firefoxing to all--oh no! This AM Firefox installed new updates! Heaven alone knows what that will do to me. BUT at least the present message is being typed free of the red underlining which afflicted my previous postings to this forum. Best -- Neil
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

If you have no dictionary selected in the Context Menu everything will be underlined, too, IIRC.
nbishop wrote:Browser spell-checkers seem to me to be of dubious value, because all the mailers and word processors I've encountered include their own spell-checker feature. Therefore, having one in one's browser is a redundant and useless feature--and a source of potential problems. I would cheerfully read refutations of my opinion.
Most users don't open a word processor in a browser and thus don't have access to that spell checker, plus many users use a separate email client (program) on their PC with its' own spell checker, so the Firefox spell check doesn't affect them with duplicity.

Many web mail interfaces may have Rich Text Editing controls along with Spell check for IE, but it doesn't always work in Gecko browsers because those web mail sites didn't code the page to enable Midas, which is the Rich Text Editor module contained in Firefox browsers. Plus, many forums don't have Rich Text Editing or Spell Check in their software, or don't have it enabled, MozillaZine is one of those fora.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Midas
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Rich_text_editing

Keep in mind that Firefox is cross-platform, stuff from other programs or on websites may not work on Linux or Mac platforms, so unless it is built into each program you may not have that feature at all.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
lindaanne

Re: All words in all mailers underlined in red

Post by lindaanne »

I am having the same problem, but it only started yesterday. Please let me know what you can figure out!
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

lindaanne wrote:I am having the same problem, but it only started yesterday. Please let me know what you can figure out!

If you would read the posts you'd know your answer.
Collapse unwanted MozillaZine forum sections ** Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Please check the date/s before posting.
Locking this oldie.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)