Reply Quote Colour in Plaintext

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird

Reply Quote Colour in Plaintext

Post by Guest »

Hi,

Could someone please tell me how to change the colour of the original message I see when composing a reply in plaintext format. I need to change it because I switched to white text and blue background, trouble is now I can't easily read the original message, as its also coloured blue.

Also how can I sort out viewing HTML emails with white text and blue background, when the sender's email client specifes the text as black but doesnt specife a background colour, or vice versa. And I end up with an illegible email. Can I just write my own stylesheet to overwrite all backgrounds (body, tables, etc.) as blue and all text as white? Maybe just leave all HTML emails as they are, but some dont specify any colours, so thats not ideal either, because my current solution works fine for them.

I don't like using the 'simple HTML' feature as it destroys the tables used for layouts, and it makes for lots of scrolling.
zoriv

Post by zoriv »

Could someone please tell me how to change the colour of the original message I see when composing a reply in plaintext format. I need to change it because I switched to white text and blue background, trouble is now I can't easily read the original message, as its also coloured blue

Add the following code to Your userContent.css:

Code: Select all

blockquote[type=cite] { 
color: navy ! important;
}
blockquote[type=cite] blockquote {
color: maroon ! important;
}
blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote {
color: green ! important;
}
blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote {
color: purple ! important;
}
blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote {
color: teal ! important;

Color specifies the color for the quoted material, in this case the first level of quoted material is navyblue, the second "maroon" and so on....

How to create userContent.css file?
Go to> C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profilesxxxxxxxx.default. folder. Then click File>New Folder and name it chrome. Open the new empty chrome folder, create inside a New Text Document in the notepad ( add the above code ) and save as userContent.css in the chrome folder. Close the above mentioned path and restart your TB.
That's all.

Post by Guest »

Hi, thanks for the reply, but that doesnt seem to be working. I've been tinkering a bit a with some of the colours in the config editor thing, trying to work out what does what. Anyway, the file is empty except for what you suggested - what could be overriding it? I Might start afresh with a new profile, and then try it.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Plain text does not support color, or any other formatting for that matter. You must compose and send in HTML for that.

Post by Guest »

No thats not what I meant. I realise there is no colour for plaintext. I am talking about when I am actually composing the plaintext email, in the window, actually typing it in, erm what else can I say?

The original email is blue, the background is blue, and its difficult to read. I know there is no colour associated with it when its sent.

Post by Guest »

Don't worry, got it working fine now, thanks for your help everyone.

Re:

Post by Guest »

](*,)
Have the exact same problem, and after several hours of googling, this is the best advice I can find?
Guest wrote:Don't worry, got it working fine now, thanks for your help everyone.

How about sharing that with the rest of us? [-X
Being a good netizen here, this is how finally got it working:
in you userContent.css file (http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit#content), add the lines:

Code: Select all

span[_moz_quote=true] {
color: pink ! important;
}
chocpoc

Re: Reply Quote Colour in Plaintext

Post by chocpoc »

luv u guys!!! worked like a charm and happy happy times!! spent 2 hrs looking 4 this!!!
saludos,
chocpoc