[CLOSED THREAD] Portable Firefox

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
sheehan

Post by sheehan »

FlashBanG
i did the setup in XP, but need it to work in win2K. I am using the Batch file; it doesn't create all of the entries that would normally happen by launching the EXE directly. Noneletheless - i'd like it to not impact the APPDATA directory at all.
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

The pluginreg file DOES appear to be created, even when running from the batch file. Someone else had brought this up to me offline. I don't see that there is currently a way to supress this. Check out bugtraq for anything related and, possibly, file a bug requesting the ability to suppress it.
gutzalpus

Post by gutzalpus »

I suppose this is somewhat off topic, but how exactly do you recompress JAR files? I'd like to do this to reduce the size of my Thunderbird install for USB use as well.
chris_s

pluginreg.dat

Post by chris_s »

ok I just also confirmed that pluginreg.dat is created in "application data"
also a Talkback folder and when a page with flash is visited a Macromedia folder

in order to get it not to use the hard drive at all this works for the firefox.bat file in the root of the usb drive it will create an "application data" folder there.

@echo off
echo Starting Firefox...
set USERPROFILE=%cd%
cd firefox
start firefox.exe -Profile "profile/"

rem end firefox.bat

I tried set APPDATA first but that did not work so firefox must be using the %USERPROFILE% variable.
it may not be a bad idea to also add the line
set APPDATA=%USERPROFILE%\Application Data
right after the set USERPROFILE line incase some other plugin uses the %APPDATA% variable.

using %cd% may cause a problem on win 9x I do not think that it exists.
I think that came up in the old thread for 0.7 0.8

I admit that this brings back some of the hackishness of the old method but even fixing it inside firefox it may still have to be done for plugins.

chris
chris_s

Post by chris_s »

I read a review of some flash drives yesterday that may be of intrest to users

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/004/flash/flash-1.html

chris
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

gutzalpus wrote:I suppose this is somewhat off topic, but how exactly do you recompress JAR files? I'd like to do this to reduce the size of my Thunderbird install for USB use as well.

A JAR file is nothing more than a ZIP file with a renamed extension. To recompress a JAR file, just rename it to a ZIP extension, open it in your favorite program (Winzip, 7zip, etc etc) and create a new ZIP at high compression.
CritterNYC

Re: pluginreg.dat

Post by CritterNYC »

chris_s wrote:in order to get it not to use the hard drive at all this works for the firefox.bat file in the root of the usb drive it will create an "application data" folder there.
set USERPROFILE=%cd%

Unfortunately, messing with environment variable affects other apps than Mozilla. I'd argue that leaving a plugins file on the host PC is better than possibly messing up other running programs and processes.
CritterNYC

Change to packaged version

Post by CritterNYC »

I've altered the packaged version to no longer include the Flash plugin. It turns out we can't re-distribute it due to Macromedia's restrictive licensing. The new version (sans Flash) is now 5.8 Mb. I have included directions for adding the Flash player to the USB install of Firefox (which will violate your license agreement, by the way) on the page.

http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/
FlashBanG

Post by FlashBanG »

It seems another user has successfully gotten thunderbird to run on a usb flash drive.. Aside from the fact that both standalone apps now have portability built into them, it seems that user has alsocome up with a way to use a JS file to launch th eprogram that will take care of the drive letter problem, and also has some other goodness inside..

see for yourself:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 309#590309

John.. When you have some time to repackage TB, will you also be hosting it on your site? Though that other user has managed to get it running, he hasnt optimized it for portable media like you have portable firefox (recompression, etc..)

Thanks,
----------------------------------------------------------

FlashBanG

FlashBanG

Post by FlashBanG »

By the way, this puzzled me..

The package was 4.1 mb a day or so ago, and then in the latest version, you removed Flash, and it balloned to 5.8 mb? Have you added any other components? Why the increase in size?

Thanks,

FlashBanG

CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

FlashBanG wrote:It seems another user has successfully gotten thunderbird to run on a usb flash drive.. Aside from the fact that both standalone apps now have portability built into them, it seems that user has alsocome up with a way to use a JS file to launch th eprogram that will take care of the drive letter problem, and also has some other goodness inside..

see for yourself:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 309#590309

Nice, I like the JS. I hadn't considered doing it as a JS. I'll consider this in place of the batch file.

I'm still trying to get some time to do a TB package. Client work has taken precedence and I've been a little busy.

Thanks for the heads up FlashBanG!
Last edited by CritterNYC on June 20th, 2004, 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

FlashBanG wrote:By the way, this puzzled me..

The package was 4.1 mb a day or so ago, and then in the latest version, you removed Flash, and it balloned to 5.8 mb? Have you added any other components? Why the increase in size?

I'd never gotten it that small that I recall. I still have all the ZIPs locally...

Fireforx 20040604: 6.44mb
Firefox RC: 5.87mb
Firefox RC-B: 5.87mb
Firefox 0.9: 6.21mb
Firefox 0.9-B: 5.80mb

The jump between the RC and the final is at least partially attributable to using an extract of the EXE (RC) installed files vs the full ZIP (final) version as well as changes in which icons were compressed. Between 0.9 and 0.9B is the removal of Flash.
Alycobaba

Extensions....

Post by Alycobaba »

Question... I tried installing tittlebar tweak 1.5.5 using the installation program. My problem is when i then take it to a different computer using my pendrive it is looking for the directory on my computer. How do I go about manually installing this extension so i can take it with me? Thx!
FlashBanG

Post by FlashBanG »

CritterNYC wrote:
FlashBanG wrote:By the way, this puzzled me..

I'd never gotten it that small that I recall. I still have all the ZIPs locally...

Fireforx 20040604: 6.44mb
Firefox RC: 5.87mb
Firefox RC-B: 5.87mb
Firefox 0.9: 6.21mb
Firefox 0.9-B: 5.80mb

The jump between the RC and the final is at least partially attributable to using an extract of the EXE (RC) installed files vs the full ZIP (final) version as well as changes in which icons were compressed. Between 0.9 and 0.9B is the removal of Flash.

Ah, my fault, i think i might have confused the installer builds (4.7mb) with the portable ones :-)

FlashBanG

FlashBanG

Re: Extensions....

Post by FlashBanG »

Alycobaba wrote:Question... I tried installing tittlebar tweak 1.5.5 using the installation program. My problem is when i then take it to a different computer using my pendrive it is looking for the directory on my computer. How do I go about manually installing this extension so i can take it with me? Thx!

Please see the instructions in this thread:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 743#572743

You will need to change all the absolute paths to relative in files: extensions.rdf and chrome.rdf in your profile.

FlashBanG