General question .EXE files in Newsgroups

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
zpic

General question .EXE files in Newsgroups

Post by zpic »

Hi hope someone can help
I regularly download stuff from NNPT groups and use .NZB files a lot, I have noticed though when searching groups a sudden increase in the number of .exe files appearing

Obviously my first thought is these are spam or prehaps even worse viruses, can anyone advise what these are ? its seems to obvious for someone to be posting loads of .exe files, especialy in safe NNTP groups
SK.

Re: General question .EXE files in Newsgroups

Post by SK. »

EXE files are files that (normally) contain executable code (at least in the Windows realm). Take great care in downloading EXE's from sources you do not know and trust.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
zpic

Post by zpic »

Thanks for the advice, having working in IT for over 20 years I realise what an .EXE is and the possible risks attatched, my point which I probably did not make clear was I have noticed a sudden surge in the number of such files recenlty
I was wondering if there was a reason for them, do the replace .NZB file (which I know are XML format files) , or are they some sort of sharing proces, I do often see the word warez in the subject also

I have probably answered my own question now - I think these must be for file sharing a bit like torrents proibly worth steeping clear of
SK.

Post by SK. »

zpic wrote:Thanks for the advice, having working in IT for over 20 years I realise what an .EXE is and the possible risks attatched

That was certainly unclear in your post.
zpic wrote:I think these must be for file sharing a bit like torrents proibly worth steeping clear of

Yes.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13