How to scroll with up-down keys inside a web page window??

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LGM

How to scroll with up-down keys inside a web page window??

Post by LGM »

I was once able to get the up-down keys to scroll inside a web page window that had its own scrollbar. But I can't replicate it. I am not talking about the main browser window/scrollbar, but a separate window/scrollbar that appears inside a web page. Here is the web page that I am talking about:

http://www.tvguide.com/listings/?rnd=705.5475

Once I noticed the up-down keys could scroll inside that smaller window that contained the TV listings grid, but now they just operate on the entire web page. Does anyone know how to enable the scrolling inside the window with the up-down keys?

I am on windows XP.
dfoulkes

Re: How to scroll with up-down keys inside a web page window??

Post by dfoulkes »

Once I focused on that smaller show listing I was able to use my mouse wheel and the keys on my keyboard.... so it's not the site.

Are you using any flashblock and/or noscripts. Perhaps one or both are blocking stuff.

You might want to run in safe mode...don't click on any of the check-off boxes...just startup in safe mode and try that site. If it works then it's most likely an addon problem/blocking.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LGM

Post by LGM »

dfoulkes, thanks for your reply.

I went into safe mode but scrolling with the up-down keys inside that little window on the TV Guide site still didn't work.

Moreover, I was just on a sports page on a newspaper site with a transcript of a chat available in a little window with its own scrollbar. Guess what? The up-down keys work in that little box to scroll up and down. So why not TV Guide?

I would just ignore this issue but I use the TV guide site all the time for program listings and find navigating in the listings grid tedious without use of the up-down keys.

Any other ideas?
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

It must be something is TV guide - IE8 RC behaves the exact same way as your describing, and on my test build called Minefield (trunk build).

Mousing over the guide list the scroll wheel on the mouse works OK, arrow keys do no until I click on the grid.
LGM

Post by LGM »

Littlemutt wrote:
Mousing over the guide list the scroll wheel on the mouse works OK, arrow keys do no until I click on the grid.

Even when I click on somewhere inside the grid, my up-down arrow keys do not work with Firefox.

I opened up IE just to see what that did, and I get the same behavior you describe -- hovering does not enable the up-down keys, but if I click within the grid, they work.

So it's not my add-ons. And I don't think it's my windows installation since I can get the keys to work in IE. So what is it???
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Tools > Options -> Advanced - General = Accessibility

Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages - is that check-marked?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
LGM

Post by LGM »

the-edmeister wrote:Tools > Options -> Advanced - General = Accessibility

Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages - is that check-marked?

No, it wasn't checked. But when I checked it, not only was the problem not fixed, but it also disabled scrolling outside of the box. What I mean is that pressing the up-down keys just made the screen jump to the top or bottom of the page instead of scrolling through it.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

That needs to not be check-marked, sorry for not saying so.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I was able to get the inner scrolling to work after hitting the Tab key several times.
LGM

Post by LGM »

Anonymosity ... thanks so much for your discovery! I don't know if my installation of Firefox is broken or not, but that does the trick. If I click within the grid with the left mouse button and while holding it down hit the tab key just once, that enables the scrolling with the up-down keys inside the listing grid. I've got to do that every time I want to scroll with the keys inside that box, but that's OK. It's a suitable work around for whatever is screwed up in my installation (or with the TV Guide site).

If anyone knows of a permanent fix -- where I would just have to click in the grid to make the up-down keys work -- please post it here. But this is at least a good partial fix.
LGM

Post by LGM »

Uh, forget what I said in my previous post. Clicking within the grid and hitting the tab key once doesn't fix the problem consistently. But when trying to figure out what might, I finally came upon what seems like the answer. If I click on the name of one of the programs listed inside the grid so that a dotted line appears around the name, then that enables the up-down arrow scrolling. It won't work if I click just anywhere in the grid, for example empty space next to a title ... apparently clicking only certain elements works, and program titles are such an element.

So I don't need to use the tab key after all. Apparently the tab key was merely cycling through various elements on the entire web page and when it finally came to one inside the grid, that enabled the up-down keys. But you can simply click on a program title within the grid to enable the key scrolling right away. As long as a program title remains highlighted, the up-down keys will work inside the grid.

It's strange. I opened up IE and clicking anywhere in the grid will enable the scrolling. But with Firefox, only clicking on certain elements inside the grid enables it. Why the different behavior?

Thanks everyone for your help.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Don't know what to tell you :( ...it all works fine for me. Maybe try a new profile just for kicks to see it the problem follows over to the new one. Also, as another "long shot" you might want to clear your cache and any cookies for that site (you may have to set up that sites options if they store them in cookies).

Also, are all your plugins up to date?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
LGM

Post by LGM »

dfoulkes, you mean you can click anywhere in the grid to enable the scrolling with the up-down keys? Even empty space inside the grid?

As I said, it now works for me but I can't click just anywhere. It has to be on one of the program titles. And anonymosity appears to have the same behavior as me.

I'd like to know because if you can click just anywhere, that means there is something wrong with my installation.

Also, it can't be my plug-ins can it? Because I have the same behavior even in safe mode.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

LGM, there is something really weird about TV Guide. Earlier when I tested I could click a station ID on the left, then the arrows would work, not now... even after a hard-refresh with Ctrl+F5. Scroll wheel works, but I can't make any of the arrow keys, pg/up/down home/end do anything now...

Only way I can make work now is to tab thru the page.. once I reach the grid arrows work. :-k
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Ok...here's what I just did...just now. Opened up TV guide... most was blocked by my NoScripts... I then clicked on temp. allow tvguide in my NoScripts options tab. NoScripts refreshes the page (this is normal), the page opened, I scrolled with my mouse wheel (outside the listings box) and the whole page scrolled, I then used my keyboard u/d arrows and again the whole page scrolled, I then moved the cursor over the listings window (without clicking on it at all) and my mouse wheel allowed it to scroll "without being focused first..cool!" and then I clicked on a blank white section of that listing window...my mouse wheel still worked and I used my u/d keys on my keyboard and everything worked fine :D .

I used to use Tvguide but it was buggy for me so I started using TV listings in Yahoo (with some userscripts to clean it up) and have been very happy with it.

If this started with your update to 3.07 it may be that TVguide cookies don't like it. Did you do any of the stuff I mentioned above... cookies can be killers with stuff like this.