Mozilla and Acrobat Reader

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
jay

Mozilla and Acrobat Reader

Post by jay »

Hi!

I have Windows 2000 as my os and I user Mozilla 1.3 to browse the web.

But, what I don't like is that every time I open a pdf-file from the web it will be opened to the Mozilla browser window.

How can I get rid of that? I would like it to be opened using the Adobes Acrobat Reader, not the Mozillla. Has anyone figured out how to make this work?

Thanks a lot!

- Jay -
fondacio

Post by fondacio »

Sounds like we should start an Acrobat Reader forum, although this question is different than the one in this thread. :wink:

The easiest way to get rid of the browser plug-in (that's what you're trying to do), is deleting the file <I>nppdf32.dll</I> from the Mozilla plugins folder (the folder names "Plugins" in the Mozilla program folder). If Mozilla is active, close it (including QuickLaunch) and restart it. If not, start Mozilla.

Then, to make sure that you can at least open PDF files:
Go to Edit | Preferences | Helper Applications. If there is already an entry for application/pdf, make sure it says "Open with Acrobat Reader". If it's not there, the first time you download a PDF file, you will get a dialog asking you what you want to do with it and you can tell it to always open it with Acrobat Reader.

By the way, why don't you want it to open PDF files in the browser window? I always think it's a useful feature...
jay

Thanks!

Post by jay »

Ok, that did it. Now my pdf-files are opened with Acrobat.

Although, it was not enough that I removed the <i>nppdf32.dll</i> from the Mozilla directory. I had to remove also from the Acrobat's path jungle. But anyway, no I works and I'm happy again! =)

And the answer to the guestion that why do I even want the Acrobat to behave like this is: I don't know. I just like it when it is in its own window. Then I can browse the web and look at the pdf-file at the same time and that kind of things ... it's just my habit of doing things. Maybe I'm just a little bit of weird ... =)

Thanks,

Jay
fondacio

Post by fondacio »

Hm... I just discovered this thread which asks exactly the opposite of your question. One post pointed out that you can also change the settings in Acrobat Reader and it's true:

Edit | Preferences | Options

Unchecking "Display PDF in Browser" would have sufficed. Oh well... if it works now, it's ok. But if you ever re-install or update Acrobat Reader, you know this option exists...

And for the sake of completeness, there's also this thread. Maybe it's time for a PDF/Acrobat Reader FAQ.
macewan

Post by macewan »

it will work. i've done it for my wife computer using redhat8
herman

Post by herman »

fondacio wrote:By the way, why don't you want it to open PDF files in the browser window? I always think it's a useful feature...

Thank you for your valuable tips. I don´t like the acrobat plugin, because I´m on a relatively slow (333MHz/96MB) computer with a relatively slow connection (64 kbit ISDN = ca. 7 kbyte real speed) .
If I need a pdf, I download it with rightclick, and use it later.
The plugin has less screen space and less possibilities of handling the document, and I hate it, if I want to go to a page which isn´t loaded yet, and have to wait.

herman
wget

Post by wget »

fondacio wrote:Maybe it's time for a PDF/Acrobat Reader FAQ.

David?
To the cast and crew of Arrested Development: Thanks for the many great laughs.
jay

Acrobat option did not work

Post by jay »

I tried the option that the Acrobat provides but that didn't work for me. If I had the dll-files in my acrobat and in my Mozilla the pdf-files would get opened in the browser.

That's bit weird, but I don't care anymore. It works for me when I remove the proper files. =) Although, it would be nice to know why won't it work using the 'correct' way of doing it ...

- Jay -
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

wget wrote:
fondacio wrote:Maybe it's time for a PDF/Acrobat Reader FAQ.

David?

Why not "Hendikins?"?
koolbeans19

Opening PDF

Post by koolbeans19 »

I have a problem where I try to open a PDF file from a website, and a new window will open up saying "Opening PDF" and nothing happens. Unfortunately I don't have the option to safe the PDF to my hard drive. I donno what to do, and this is important because I need the PDF to fill out a loan application for school. :/
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

skane

Post by skane »

I do also prefer PDF files in pure acrobat reader.

For Firefox

Tools -> Options -> Downloads:

select PDF:s in file types and click change actions: select “open with this application” use the pdf-reader of your choice.

Click Plug-ins and disable PDF extension/file types.

for IE make the choise in acrobat reader preferences to not open pdf:s in browser.
Joe Carrick

PDF Files don't display

Post by Joe Carrick »

I've tried everything. I've eliminated the Plug-in, changed Acrobat to not display in the browser, restarted Mozilla and I still get the pdf loaded into the browser but it's empty.

What can I do? I really would like to have the pdf displayed in the browser because some pages are set up for bitstream downloading and the link can't be saved. BTW, this is the only way I've been able to view pdf's with mozilla - essentially save the link and launch the file (which causes Acrobat 6.0 to load).

Thanks, Joe
yamal

Post by yamal »

First of all dont use 6.0, use 5.1, 6.0.3 or 7.0 or whatever.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 16#acrobat
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#Acrobat

If that doesnt help, use this for displaying outside the browser;

Like already said above; rename the nppdf32.dll
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0.1\Reader\Browser"
somewhere in that neighborhood, before you remove the plugin from mozilla.

If that doesnt help or if you dont want to do that because you need the plugin for other programs, follow this procedure;

1. In acrobat reader
menu Edit > item Preference > Internet > uncheck Open in browser., or
Edit > Preference > Options > uncheck Open in browser>Ok

2. URL about:config
Scroll to plugin.scan.Acrobat , rightclick on it, chooser modify and set it to 20

3. Close mozilla and remove nppdf32.dll from
"C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\plugins"
LIMPET235

Re: Mozilla and Acrobat Reader

Post by LIMPET235 »

He was a spammer, with hidden? links.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)