Firefox locks up

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
elwood1229

Firefox locks up

Post by elwood1229 »

Like many others, I am having problems with Firefox 3.0.x locking up on my Vista SP1 (with 1 gig ram). After using for a short period of time, it locks up my computer and the only solution is to do a hard reboot. Even if it does not totally lock the computer, the browser locks up and I cannot shut it down even from the task manager. I have searched several help forums as well as the Firefox knowledge base. I have followed the instructions in the knowledge base to do a complete removal of Firefox and then reinstall it. In fact, I have done this several times and still continue to have the same problem. I would very much appreciate any suggestions as to how to solve this problem as at this point I cannot use Firefox at all.

Elwood
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Firefox locks up

Post by malliz »

Are you using Zone Alarm?
And have you been here
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
elwood1229

Post by elwood1229 »

No, I am not using Zone Alarm. And yes, I have been to the Firefox Hangs pages as well as to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in_use listed on the "Instant Help" FAQs page. I have attempted the various suggestions on both pages to no avail. I have also tried running Firefox without any extensions or themes at all, something suggested in those pages, and it still locks up.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Did your diagnostic efforst include creating and testing a new, unmodified profile? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
elwood1229

Post by elwood1229 »

I suppose technically I didn't create a new profile. I did, however, use the instructions for a clean install (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diag ... _reinstall). That process includes completely deleting all traces of the profile. Would that accomplish the same result?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

It should. On the other hand there is no reason why Vista should allow an app to freeze it up so hard that you are forced to reboot the entire computer. While a program could hang, the OS should not hang with it.

I am not sure how you do it in Vista but can you try forcing Firefox to run in XP compatibility mode? Does that solve the problem? If it does, it might give us a clue.

If not, please list your antivirus, firewall and Edition of Vista.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Post by Guest »

I have the exact same problem. My computer is a Gateway M-6827 running latest version of Vista Home Premium, Zonealarm free firewall, and Avast Free antivirus. I've tried a number of different antivirus programs and firewall programs, but the problem remains.
The lockup doesn't seem to correlate with any particular website; its more about the amount of time you've been using firefox. I've never had it lock up sooner than about 15 minutes of use, but sometimes it works for as long as 2 hours.
This problem doesn't happen with internet explorer.

Post by Guest »

OK, the problem just happened with internet explorer too. So first I "use up" my firefox time, then use up my internet explorer time, and then I have to hard reboot. Perhaps this is a vista problem then. Or maybe a wireless modem issue or a driver issue?
LP_Dude

Post by LP_Dude »

This an XP problem also. Same thing has been happening to me for the last 2 weeks now. I have a souped up computer so power isn't an issue. But when FF hangs up, my computer is hung also. Nothing but a hard shut down fixes it.
mikeyyyyyyy

Post by mikeyyyyyyy »

I have the same issues at the poster "Guest at 4:29". Once Firefox freezes up, I use IE, and then in time that freezes up. I am running Vista home premium SP1. I tried everything to see if it is my wireless card and everything looks ok. I even unplugged my router and wireless and tried that...same thing happens.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

If you are having a problem with both I.E. and Firefox you really need to figure out what is wrong with your system.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LP_Dude

Post by LP_Dude »

It just hit me.... i wonder if it's NET Framework?

I just looked at my Add/Remove Programs list. I have all these listed.....

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is exactly how they're listed. Could this be a problem or not? I'm just a computer noob of 5 yrs of time on a computer.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

No.
Post wrangler
sklein73

Post by sklein73 »

I'm running Firefox 3.0.7 on two different XP machines. I get a consistent hanging issue. First, the browser freezes after starting it up. It can take as many as several minutes before the browser responds. The CPU usage shoots up. The rest of the computer works fine. Second, periodically while using it, it'll hang for 30-60 seconds. Again, CPU usage shoots up while other apps work fine. This happens on both computers, and does it in safe mode with all extensions and add-ons disabled. One of the computers is brand new and so it was a clean install and it still does it (though admittedly not as severely: it's hang time is a lot less)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

That sounds like an AV/Internet Suite issue. What do you use?
Post wrangler