Current TBE (1.5.2002111901) break opening in new tab

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
laszlo

Current TBE (1.5.2002111901) break opening in new tab

Post by laszlo »

Can anyone confirm this (using Phoenix 20021118)?

On a sidenote: this extension evolves into something like the swiss-army knife of tabbed browsing. The mentioned version implements tab-specific permissions for Plug-Ins, JavaScript and more. A must-have, if working correctly. Thanks, Piro :D
leoz

Re: Current TBE (1.5.2002111901) break opening in new tab

Post by leoz »

laszlo wrote:Can anyone confirm this (using Phoenix 20021118)?

On a sidenote: this extension evolves into something like the swiss-army knife of tabbed browsing. The mentioned version implements tab-specific permissions for Plug-Ins, JavaScript and more. A must-have, if working correctly. Thanks, Piro :D

In what way does it break opening in new tab? seems to work fine for me so far.

However, I did notice that using Phoenix 20021118 and any of the TBEs I have available, the ctrl-W shortcut no longer closes the window. Going back to 20021114 makes it work again - and without TBE installed it works fine too. Can anyone confirm? I sent an email to Piro so hopefully he can take a look at what changed in Phoenix.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

leoz wrote:In what way does it break opening in new tab? seems to work fine for me so far.

In every way. I wasn't able to open any new tab, regardless of the method (Ctrl+click, middle-click, context menu, File menu, Ctrl+T). That you're not seeing it makes me think that it might have been a fatal combination of settings on my side.

leoz wrote:However, I did notice that using Phoenix 20021118 and any of the TBEs I have available, the ctrl-W shortcut no longer closes the window. Going back to 20021114 makes it work again - and without TBE installed it works fine too. Can anyone confirm? I sent an email to Piro so hopefully he can take a look at what changed in Phoenix.

I think this is intended (item 4 of History for the current version).
leoz

Post by leoz »

laszlo wrote:
leoz wrote:In what way does it break opening in new tab? seems to work fine for me so far.

In every way. I wasn't able to open any new tab, regardless of the method (Ctrl+click, middle-click, context menu, File menu, Ctrl+T). That you're not seeing it makes me think that it might have been a fatal combination of settings on my side.

Actually now that I try it, I think I see it too. But it's not a TBE problem - it's an interaction between TBE and the latest nightly. I have two directories, one for 1114 phoenix and one for 1118 phoenix, both with 1119 TBE. 1114 works fine, 1118 does not.

laszlo wrote:
leoz wrote:However, I did notice that using Phoenix 20021118 and any of the TBEs I have available, the ctrl-W shortcut no longer closes the window. Going back to 20021114 makes it work again - and without TBE installed it works fine too. Can anyone confirm? I sent an email to Piro so hopefully he can take a look at what changed in Phoenix.

I think this is intended (item 4 of History for the current version).

Um, I think you are misreading what I said. For me, ctrl-w does not work. At all. And it can't have anything to do with a change in TBE since as I said above, the same version of TBE works fine with 1114 Phoenix, but not with 1118 Phoenix. Does ctrl-W close windows for you with 1118 Phoenix and 1119 TBE?
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

leoz wrote:Actually now that I try it, I think I see it too. But it's not a TBE problem - it's an interaction between TBE and the latest nightly. I have two directories, one for 1114 phoenix and one for 1118 phoenix, both with 1119 TBE. 1114 works fine, 1118 does not.

Ah, OK. And in contrary to what I said above, File menu command "New Tab" and according shortcut are obviously working. Only link-specific actions don't, with exception of dragging links to the tab bar.

leoz wrote:Um, I think you are misreading what I said. For me, ctrl-w does not work. At all. And it can't have anything to do with a change in TBE since as I said above, the same version of TBE works fine with 1114 Phoenix, but not with 1118 Phoenix. Does ctrl-W close windows for you with 1118 Phoenix and 1119 TBE?

No, now that I know what you mean. I only tried it with one tab open and was happy that this didn't work (it should close tabs, but not windows), but it seems to be broken completely.
leoz

Post by leoz »

laszlo wrote:
leoz wrote:Um, I think you are misreading what I said. For me, ctrl-w does not work. At all. And it can't have anything to do with a change in TBE since as I said above, the same version of TBE works fine with 1114 Phoenix, but not with 1118 Phoenix. Does ctrl-W close windows for you with 1118 Phoenix and 1119 TBE?

No, now that I know what you mean. I only tried it with one tab open and was happy that this didn't work (it should close tabs, but not windows), but it seems to be broken completely.

It's obviously not a big deal, but I like the fact that ctrl-W with only one tab open closes the window - it's exactly the behavior I expect - means I can always use ctrl-W to indicate that I'm done reading the tab.

So I'm glad that Piro is making it a preference-controlled option.
leoz

Fixed

Post by leoz »

Piro made 111902 version work with Phoenix 1118 again. He said in an email that the Phoenix team got rid of a function he relied on (getBrowser()) but he is working around it.

I am constantly amazed at the quality of support that Piro provides - TBE is simply amazing and just keeps on getting better.

Also, the 111902 version fixes my previous complaint about not closing tabs consistently.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

getBrowser() is back now. This is a diff of the last two versions of browser.js. Obviously too many extensions were broken by removing it.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

laszlo wrote:getBrowser() is back now. This is a diff of the last two versions of browser.js. Obviously too many extensions were broken by removing it.

Ah, now that Piro has removed it.

I think we need a board for TBE all by itself. It is probably <u>the</u> most popular extension. The two features I'd like to see migrated to core Mozilla/Phoenix are "Tabs at Bottom" and "Single Window Mode."

Also, skins should start including the new class tabbrowser-strip-bottom.
leoz

Post by leoz »

alanjstr wrote:
laszlo wrote:getBrowser() is back now. This is a diff of the last two versions of browser.js. Obviously too many extensions were broken by removing it.

Ah, now that Piro has removed it.

I think we need a board for TBE all by itself. It is probably <u>the</u> most popular extension. The two features I'd like to see migrated to core Mozilla/Phoenix are "Tabs at Bottom" and "Single Window Mode."

Also, skins should start including the new class tabbrowser-strip-bottom.

I don't use either one of the features above, but I think the "lock", "auto-reload", and "undo close tab" are absolutely essential.