Firefox 3 logging out of sites even though I hit Remember Me

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Vivica

Re: Firefox 3 logging out of sites even though I hit Remember Me

Post by Vivica »

I've had it with this, i'm downgrading.

Same problem on AMD XP2600+, XP Pro, FF3.0.1.
GreySucks

Post by GreySucks »

erinreid wrote:Well, I finally managed to solve my problem. I had this problem since Firefox 2, and it did not improve with FF3.

I shut down my browser and deleted both my cookies.txt and cookies.sqllite files, then restarted the browser. Worked like a charm. Apparently the files had gotten corrupted somehow, and session information was not being saved correctly. It took a complete purge to start again from scratch. (Note that cookies.txt is not used in FF3, but if you have one leftover from the upgrade, delete it too.)

Good luck, hope that helps.

- Erin

This is most likely the culprit. I deleted my cookes.sqllite and it has been working ever since.
mizzlady2u

Post by mizzlady2u »

Thank you erin.. it fixed my issue like a charm
SomeRandomGuy120

Post by SomeRandomGuy120 »

I've had FF3 for about six months without any errors, but all of a sudden, I have this:

Windows XP, here are the addons:

ChatZilla
DownloadHelper
DownThemAll
GreaseMonkey
Image Zoom
Java Quick Starter
Linkification
StumbleUpon
Text-To-Image
TwitKit
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Seems that the solution listed above works for most people.

1) Shut down Firefox.
2) Go to your profile. (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox)
3) Delete the cookies.txt (if it exists) and cookies.sqllite files
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:As noted in this post: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=678895&p=3483485">viewtopic.php?f=38&t=678895&p=3483485</a><!-- l --> I also had this problem.
Disabling the TorButton Extension fixed it for me.

Found it out by elimination, using the update notifier extension to restart firefox.
After that restart, close firefox with the upper right "x" and oopen it again.
When doing this with the offending extension enabled, the cookies where gone after the restart with the "x". Restarting with update notifier or the restart in add-ons did not loose the cookies, only a restart afterward using the "x" made them go lost.
lo necesito para HABBO
gquiring

Post by gquiring »

I am having the same issue with PNC.com. The site keeps asking me for my secret question. I can log in / out in the same day without an issue. But in a few days I have to answer the secret question again. I don't use any cookie cleaners. I did a fresh install (new hard drive) and used Vista x64 with FF 3.05 and I still have the problem. Addons are Tab Mix Plus, AdBlockPlus, LogMeIn and Foxmarks. Most sites work fine, but many of my credit card and bank sites are constantly asking me for my secret question.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

gquiring wrote:I am having the same issue with PNC.com. The site keeps asking me for my secret question. I can log in / out in the same day without an issue. But in a few days I have to answer the secret question again. I don't use any cookie cleaners. I did a fresh install (new hard drive) and used Vista x64 with FF 3.05 and I still have the problem. Addons are Tab Mix Plus, AdBlockPlus, LogMeIn and Foxmarks. Most sites work fine, but many of my credit card and bank sites are constantly asking me for my secret question.

Since LogMeIn's name seems to imply it's involved with the login process, I'd suggest disabling this and seeing if the problem goes away.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
gquiring

Post by gquiring »

makaiguy wrote:
gquiring wrote:I am having the same issue with PNC.com. The site keeps asking me for my secret question. I can log in / out in the same day without an issue. But in a few days I have to answer the secret question again. I don't use any cookie cleaners. I did a fresh install (new hard drive) and used Vista x64 with FF 3.05 and I still have the problem. Addons are Tab Mix Plus, AdBlockPlus, LogMeIn and Foxmarks. Most sites work fine, but many of my credit card and bank sites are constantly asking me for my secret question.

Since LogMeIn's name seems to imply it's involved with the login process, I'd suggest disabling this and seeing if the problem goes away.
Logmein is related to remote desktop software.
JCSeeker

Post by JCSeeker »

LoudNoise wrote:Seems that the solution listed above works for most people.

1) Shut down Firefox.
2) Go to your profile. (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox)
3) Delete the cookies.txt (if it exists) and cookies.sqllite files

Thanks. This worked for me, I'm no longer logged out of iGoogle and Youtube everytime I exit firefox.

Post by Guest »

I had to register just to let you know how I fixed this same problem. A few days back my FF browser suddenly started logging me out of my website after closing down the browser each time, so a right faff having to log back in everywhere! Especially as a web design company, where we have a lot of web-based sites we are logged in to.

I had to reinstall free AVG about the same time the problem started and after reading some posts here, it reminded me I had ticked a box just at the point of install, for 'scan tracking cookies'. I hadn't ticked it before but for some reason thought I would this time. It seemed a likely reason why my cookies were suddenly being cleared, though I didn't get the impression that by ticking the box it would clear my cookies! I went in to AVG, clicked on the resident shield icon and unticked the 'scan tracking cookies' box and lo and behold it fixed the problem immediately. This may be similar for other similar software you use, not just AVG.

If it wasn't for reading the posts here about it being connected to cookies I wouldn't have found the issue and resolved it so soon, so I've only registered to come here and say thanks to people who contribute to these forums to help us fix what are often simply but highly annoying problems!
mr3856a

Post by mr3856a »

I've had it, I'm switching browsers. All my email accounts, message boards, facebook, youtube, all my banking and financial stuff, every time I have to re-log in to everything, and I'm just tired of it. I've tried every solution on here without success. I did a complete removal of everything having anything to do with Firefox - profiles, the program, everything possible - and still no luck.

I can't deal with this anymore, and it's really surprising to me that Mozilla has had this problem for so long without a solution. It's unbelievable. Any other browswer suggestions would be welcome, as I'm done with Firefox after 5 or 6 years now. Too bad.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Kame

Post by Kame »

Dave0 wrote:Hmmm, I just experimented with a workaround:

For all sites that you need to log into frequently,
1) go to tools/options/cookies. Choose Accept cookies/accept third party cookies and choose Keep Until: Ask me everytime
2) go to a website. When the warning box opens saying the site "wants to modify an existing cookie," choose allow and checkmark "use my choice for all cookies from this site". Log in and choose 'remember me'
3) Do this for all sites you log into often, then go back to tools/options and reset cookies to Keep until: they expire so you don't have to set cookies for every single website.
4) close firefox, and reopen. The sites should remember you now.

It's working for me (so far), I haven't had to relog into any sites this morning and I've quit/opened FF3 multiple times. Try it out and see if it works for you.

good luck!

I did this step by step. It didn't work. [-X ](*,)