[Update for 1.0 PR] Super Drag and Go

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
morphis

[Update for 1.0 PR] Super Drag and Go

Post by morphis »

<b>[edit] </b>
0.24 and 0.24d1 have been updated to support 1.0 PR. Install it at superdragandgo.mozdev.org
<b>[edit] </b>

<b>[edit] </b>
<b>(!new 0.2.3) mainly bug fixing </b>
. [fixed] Reversed radio button on fx 0.8 of "save image with download manager" and "download to default folder".
. [fixed] "drag xpi file and drop to start installation" was broken since introducing image downloading feature (0.2.1)
. [fixed] "drag various type of files: .txt, .html, .js, .img and drop to open it with fx" was broken since introducing "directly download image to a default folder" (0.2.2)
. [fixed] Status bar notice doesn't show up properly on linky img
. [Enhacement] Status bar shows the image file name and its download folder when finishing downloading images, instead of the generic one: "The image is beeing saved."

<b>[edit] </b>

<b>(!new 0.2.2 )Download images to a default folder directly</b>
An option is added. Users can configure to drag an image and
. either download it using the system's download manager
. or download it to a default folder <b>directly</b>, where the default folder is configurable.

Please go to its <a href='http://s87609139.onlinehome.us/7001.html' target="_blank"> <b>homepage</b> </a> and install the latest version. Or you can download it <a href='http://s87609139.onlinehome.us/superdrag.xpi' target="_blank"><b> here</b> </a>.

[Thanks NetOne: I use his saveImage() function to save the image when bypassing the system's download manager.]

<b>( 0.2.1 )Drag Image to download</b>
[Credit goes to NetOne]
Adding a new function which allows users dragging an image and drop it to start downloading it with the download manager of firefox. You can globally disable this feature from its option and keep dragging an image to open it in a new tab . Or you can temporarily disable downloading dragged images by holding Ctrl key when dropping it.

<b> 0.2</b>
I found in 0.9, with "Super Drag and Go" installed, I cannot select some text in the text box/frame (e.g. edit frame for this forum) to move it around. And I did a quick test on 0.8 and found it doesn't effect 0.8.
<del>Any other users can confirm this bug? Anyone coming up ideas why this problem occurs and how to solve it, please post your idea in this thread. Your help is appreciated! </del>

Plus two minor enhancements:
1)eating out leading and ending spaces when forcing text-link/text-uri into URL
2)more robust text-link/text-uri matching
have been intergrated into this new release.

New version 0.1.6 is out: Adding options to configure loading new tabs for "link/text-link/uri" and "search" in foreground or background. Default setting: "link/text-link/uri" in background, "search" in foreground.

<b>0.1.5 </b>. "Dragging xpi file to install" bug has been solved by MonkeeSage . I intergrated MonkeeSage's patch into this new version. Thanks MonkeeSage.

<b>0.1.4 </b>. By stealing some code from <a target='_blank' href='http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=61&vid=64&category=Search%20Tools' > Web Search Plus </a> extension :)- , now <b>"drag-a-word-throw-to-search"</b> will search with the <b>engine</b> set in your <b>Search Bar</b>: google, dictionary.com, ebay, wikipedia, imdb, altavista, ... , whatever sitting in your search bar currently.
note: if searchbar is set to <b>"find in this page"</b>, it will search with the default google.

I wrote a new extension which is similar to myIE2's "super drag and drop". It comes very handy. It allows you:
1) Drag
a) link
b) text-link (remember <a target='_blank' href='http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/' >plain text links </a> and <a target='_blank' href='http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_textlink.html.en' >Text Link </a> extension?)
c) text-uri (like "abc.com", similar to the above text-link feature but the text don't have to be something like "http://xxx.yyy", "xxx.yyy" is enough.)
d) picture
e) a tab (cloning a tab: remember "<a target='_blank' href='http://www.twannos-extensions.tk/' >duplicate tab </a> " extension? <b>To use this feature, you need <a href='http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=111' >TBE </a> or <a href='http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=161' > miniT </a> installed to make your tabs draggable. Thanks to Roan Foofitush for pointing this out </b>)

and throw it anywehere blank on your webpage and open it on a new tab <b>(if you dragged a tab, you will get it coloned in a new tab)</b>

2) Drag a word or a phrase and throw it anywhere blank on your webpage to search it <b>[edit] with your the search engine currently setted in your search bar [edit]</b>.

3)Open "link/text-link/uri" and "search" tabs in foreground or background, <b> which is configurable from 0.1.6 on </b>. Default setting: "link/text-link/uri" in background, "search" in foreground.

So, from now on you will never need <b>"Ctrl+click" and "middle-button click" </b> to open a link in new tab. <b>Just drag and throw it.</b>

It works with firefox <b>0.8 - 0.9+ </b>.

Go to its <a href='http://s87609139.onlinehome.us/7001.html' target="_blank"> <b>homepage</b> </a>, install it and try it out now. You will like it. Or you can download it <a href='http://s87609139.onlinehome.us/superdrag.xpi' target="_blank"><b> here</b> </a>.

Find any bug? Report it on this thread please.

Here is its mirror(Thank sboulema): http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=376

<b>Known bug</b>:
1 (<b>Solved from version 0.1.5 on</b>) It seems that it interfere with the function of "drag a xpi file (e.g. from your file manager) into browser and install" function. Instead of starting installation, you will get a untitled new tab opened and no installation dialog. It only effects 0.9 and up. I didn't found similar problem with 0.8 so far.
Thank UPieper for pointing this out. Anyone having clue of why this happens and how to solve it, please post on this thread. Your help is appreciated.
2.<b>[Edit]This bug has been fixed in the new release 0.2[EDIT]</b>
I found in 0.9, with "Super Drag and Go" installed, I cannot select some text in the text box/frame (e.g. edit frame for this forum) to move it around. And I did a quick test on 0.8 and found it doesn't effect 0.8.
<del>Any other users can confirm this bug? Anyone coming up ideas why this problem occurs and how to solve it, please post your idea in this thread. Your help is appreciated! </del>

(To upload it to update.mozilla.org, I have already filed a bug in bugzilla, but haven't gotten reply yet.
Last edited by morphis on September 15th, 2004, 11:43 am, edited 43 times in total.
mimeryme

Post by mimeryme »

morphis, I was following your previous thread and I couldn't wait for this. I had held back from switching over from MyIE2 for the longest time (though I did relent when Image Toolbar was near the surface) because of this very feature.

Thank you.

--

Perhaps, you can add in accelerator key options whereby holding Alt/Ctrl/Shift (or combination thereof) can allow you to open in current tab, new window, save picture, etc.

Again, thank you morphis. Thanks also to the plugin devs that helped you with the project. ;D

edit: correction for false info.
Last edited by mimeryme on June 25th, 2004, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
morphis

Post by morphis »

Yes, I also find this feature is very handy.

You know what, only less than 20 lines of code to make it, thanks to the embedding "drag and drop" service provided by mozilla platform.

Thanks <b>asqueella</b> and <b>MonkeeSage</b> for their help.

Just now, I tried to fix it and make the extension on my webpage behaviors like others: when clicking on the xxx.xpi file, you will get a dialog to ask you if you want to install the extension. But I haven't found it out why and how. Maybe it's host server's problem since I compared the web source code of my webpage and others' and found no difference.

Anyway, hope lots of guys like this handy extension so I will be encouraged to adding more feature into it given I have enough spare time.

Report bugs here please!
Last edited by morphis on June 23rd, 2004, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasteo

Post by Kasteo »

This is a very handy extension. Thanks. :)
::::: Edit :::::
The feature I would like to see is that you can select the search engine for the Drag&Drop word, instead of using just Google. For example Dictionary.com, eBay,.... Or you can make it search by using the search engine that is currectly active in the Search bar.
Last edited by Kasteo on June 23rd, 2004, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noia 2.0 theme for Firefox & Thunderbird
- Compaq Presario 2190US, 2.4GHz, 1024MB DDR RAM, 40GB 5400rpm HDD.
- Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, Gecko/20040925 Firefox/0.10 (MOOX M3)
Thumper's Evil Twin

Post by Thumper's Evil Twin »

Another reason for not using Firefox bites the dust. Nice one.

- Chris
NewHarlock

Post by NewHarlock »

I was waiting for this feature for such a long time too, it's marvelous ... so many thanks to you morphis and for the people that helped you.

No problem with the extension so far, everything works great !

With this Super Drap'n'Go, now Firefox is really ready for the 1.0 :monkey:.
MonkeeSage

Post by MonkeeSage »

Use InstallTrigger to install from your site, like:

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript">
function install(name, url) {
   url = 'http://server/path/' + url;
   InstallTrigger.install({ name : url });
   return false;
}
</script>
<a href="extension.xpi" title="Extension v0.1" onclick="return install(this.href, this.title);">Install</a>

You can also set the mimetype for xpi files to <code>application/x-xpinstall</code> on your host, then direct links to them will initiate the install process.

Nice extension, BTW. I had never used MyIE2 long enough to notice it, but this is a cool feature. :)

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G
"[M]en are usually satisfied with bad argument only when their convictions rest on other grounds." --John Oman
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Remember, that some of us still want to download it, so its a good idea to have a link to an .xpi file itself somewhere as well.
morphis

Post by morphis »

Thanks. I will put it on my orig post.

asqueella wrote:Remember, that some of us still want to download it, so its a good idea to have a link to an .xpi file itself somewhere as well.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Good extension btw ;)
As a man who never used myIE2 I find the "drag-a-word-to-search-it-with-Google" feature most useful. Thanks.
NetOne

Post by NetOne »

An extension I've expected for a long time. Thanks morphis!

Another feature expected: Could there be an option for saving the picture when it's dragged. This would be handy! Thanks again for morphis greate work!
IdoMcFly

Post by IdoMcFly »

great idea ! but it does not work for me :/

FF 0.9 Linux : I can drag the selected item, seing the "page" icon but when releasing the mouse button, nothing happen.

FF 0.9 Windows : When I drag the item, I got a "no go" icon.

I've tried disabling all my installed extensions and no success

EDIt : I'm using official milstone
Last edited by IdoMcFly on June 24th, 2004, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
NetOne

Post by NetOne »

I've just installed the extension. But there's nothing happened after I drag and drop either a link, a picture or some phase or word.

I've also tried on a new profile without any other extensions, but it still not working. Really confusing!

Firefox info:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040614 Firefox/0.9
Last edited by NetOne on June 24th, 2004, 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
IdoMcFly

Post by IdoMcFly »

so i'm not the only one...
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

(Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040621 Powerpanda/0.9.0+ (Firefox/0.9.0+ rebrand)

Seems to fail for me, too. I've tried this build as a fresh install with profile, then a fresh install without and it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm probably doing something stupid, though.

As of this particular version, I'm just using the tinderbox BEAST aviary. I'll try jumping to the very latest in a bit to see whether it's just a build bug.