can't open www.excite.com

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Larrycleve

can't open www.excite.com

Post by Larrycleve »

I upgraded to firefox 3.07 and now can't open http://www.excite.com . It always worked fine before. It opens in IE7 and google chrome fine. I tried adding it as an always allow to the cookies with no luck. I uninstalled with revo uninstaller and reinstalled firefox 3.07. It is now brand new with no extensions and it still won't open excite.com. I don't know if this is related but I started getting the error when starting firefox - window can't open as firefox is already running. I had to go to task manager to end firefox as a process for it to open. This happened even after the reinstall. I deleted the parentlock file and it seems to have corrected that. Any ideas why I can't get to excite.com ?
LoudNoise

Re: can't open www.excite.com

Post by LoudNoise »

As for the locking problem, do you have zone alarm? It has been behaving badly of late.

No problem getting to excite here.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I don't use zone alarm. I did an antivirus scan with nod32 which found one virus. I did a scan with spyzooka which found 43 threats. I uninstalled firefox and am going to reinstall it and see what happens.
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

Still can't get excite.com to open. Firefox freezes when opening that site, but other sites open fine. Perplexed as to what happened and how to fix it. Excite.com is my home page. I can use another browser to get to it. I tried using firefox 3.0.6 as well as beta 3 but couldn't get into excite with them. :(
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I tried using safe mode for firefox. I got into excite the first time, but after that it froze in safe mode also. I also realized that the "firefox is still running ..." error when restarting happens after the excite.com freeze. Does this provide any info as to what is happening?
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I created a new profile and deleted the default profile and it still froze when trying to get into excite.com .
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

Here's some more info. I started windows xp in safe mode with networking. Firefox initially went into excite.com with no problem. After I closed it and then opened it again this time excite.com froze. I got into this site with no problem. I was thinking of trying to uninstall and reinstall firefox in windows safe mode to see if that would do anything. Any help would be appreciated.
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

While in windows safe mode I uninstalled firefox. Then I used regedit and manually deleted all references to Mozilla and Firefox. Then I reinstalled firefox but still can't get into excite.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

http://www.excite.com uses Flash for several items on the page. Your problem may be related to your Flash installation.

See this forum's Knowledge Base article on Flash:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I installed the shockwave plugin and the adobe flashplayer but still no go.
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I have one more trick to try. I use shadowprotect backup which gives an image backup. I have a backup from a month ago. I'm going to format the hard drive and restore from the backup. I think there's something nasty that buried itself deep in the hard drive and the antivirus antispyware software can't find it.
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I did the restore and got into excite.com with no problem. The restore version of firefox is 3.0.4. I'm not going to do a manual update to 3.0.7 but rather let firefox do it on its own. It will be interesting to see what happens then.
lightway

Post by lightway »

I realize that this is an old post, but for those of you may still be searching for a solution, that I had to find on my own, I offer the following.
On the Firefox menu, go to: Tools / Options / Privacy. Then across from the line "Accept Cookies from Sites" which you should have checked-marked, click on the button "exceptions." Scroll down to "excite.com". If it is listed as "blocked" delete the line. Now you can probably get into Excite, but for good measure I re-posted the site and clicked "Allow", this will make sure that it stays that way. Also, it will allow Excite to come up even if you choose to un-check the "Accept Cookies" option.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for your report but you've replied to a thread that's been dormant for more than two years months.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts. It will be available for reading but now additional posts will be possible.