noririty

minotaur!

Post by noririty »

<a href="http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/noririty/">noririty</a>
old Neil Parks

Re: minotaur!

Post by old Neil Parks »

noririty wrote:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/minotaur/

Don't get your hopes up too high. The initial release of Minotaur that you'll find there is nothing more or less than the mail-and-news component of Mozilla without the browser. That will, of course, change in the future as the new mail pgm begins to take on its own personality, but it hasn't happened yet.
asa

Re: minotaur!

Post by asa »

Neil Parks wrote:
noririty wrote:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/minotaur/

Don't get your hopes up too high. The initial release of Minotaur that you'll find there is nothing more or less than the mail-and-news component of Mozilla without the browser. That will, of course, change in the future as the new mail pgm begins to take on its own personality, but it hasn't happened yet.

Not really. Scott and Kerz have done some considerable work to make it more than just Mail without the browser. They've cleaned up the menus and toolbars, implemented customizable toolbars and made initial performance improvements.

--Asa
ckjnigel

I'm thrilled!

Post by ckjnigel »

My initial impressions are very favorable. There did seem to be some confusion in how it picked up accounts from MozMail, but, once I ditched MyRealBox, things went well. (BTW, do others find Mrb-IMAP relentlessly horked?) I monitor GDI on this WinMe laptop and can see it seems quite frugal there. (Phoenix still seems leaky, though.)
And, it was only yesterday that I started experimenting with stunnel batch files for making XNews and 40tudeDialog connect to the secnews.netscape server. (Got stunnel 3 versions to work, but not 4+). Minotaur is a lot easier!
This really is a big boost to Phoenix. I'd taken to using three different mail clients for different accounts: Mulberry, OE and AOL Communicator. And none of them really does it right...
I suppose there'll be a Minotaur wish list section soon, but I'll say that my first and foremost is RSS reading. A guy at dynamicobjects.com has a Java mail/PIM/RSS client I played with, but the last I couldnt make work. (But a noble project, IMHO!)
My compliments and thanks to Kerz and Scott!
ceovsenik

Post by ceovsenik »

bah no linux =(
larrybpsu

Very Good!

Post by larrybpsu »

I spent an hour last night dl'ing the Windows build. It was worth every second of dialup time. :)

It picked up my NS 7.02 profile, minus NS/AOL's webmail :(, caught all of my email accounts, news servers, and away I went. I haven't been using Mozilla 1.3, so this is my first experience with the new Junk mail filters and they are AWESOME! Finally, I don't have to sort out all the SPAM that I receive on a regular basis.

I'm using Px nightly's on the web side, and it's nice to click on a link in Minotaur, and Px pops up with the web page.

I might actually uninstall NS 7.02.

Keep up the great work! At my office, I'm looking for SOMETHING to replace Eudora for our mail client. So far, Minotaur is the ONLY app on my list!

OT: Will Minotaur be getting it's own fourm SOON?
dacovale

Post by dacovale »

stupid question: Why are there two exe's?

One named Minotaur and one named Firebird.
I'm nice
ccoma

Post by ccoma »

dacovale wrote:stupid question: Why are there two exe's?

actually thunderbird, not firebird !

but I have another question:
Is it possbile to run minotaur without a present mozilla-mail profile ?
At least minotaur doesn't show up on my machine...
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Re: Very Good!

Post by Alex Bishop »

larrybpsu wrote:OT: Will Minotaur be getting it's own fourm SOON?

Yes. Maybe several.
Alex
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

ccoma wrote:
dacovale wrote:stupid question: Why are there two exe's?

actually thunderbird, not firebird !

The reason for the two executables is because the project combines both the old Minotaur and Thunderbird efforts. They'll probably settle on one soon.

<strong>Edit:</strong> Spellings. I used to be able to edit stuff without anyone ever knowing. Now the world can find out about my spelling mistakes.
Last edited by Alex Bishop on March 30th, 2003, 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alex
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

haha, so right now we can choose if we prefer it to be called minotaur or thunderbird. :)
djst

Post by djst »

Alex Bishop wrote:<strong>Edit:</strong> Spellings. I used to be able to edit stuff without anyone ever knowing. Now the world can find out about my spelling mistakes.

How come? What has changed?
tve

Post by tve »

djst wrote:
Alex Bishop wrote:<strong>Edit:</strong> Spellings. I used to be able to edit stuff without anyone ever knowing. Now the world can find out about my spelling mistakes.

because tolremeno replied before Alex was done with his edit.. if there's no reply, phpBB doesnt add a "edited by..." line.
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
chipi

Post by chipi »

It's nice,
I just miss the themes :)
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

tve wrote:
djst wrote:
Alex Bishop wrote:<strong>Edit:</strong> Spellings! I used to be able to edit stuff without anyone ever knowing. Now the world can find out about my spelling mistakes.

because tolremeno replied before Alex was done with his edit.. if there's no reply, phpBB doesnt add a "edited by..." line.

I used to be able to edit whenever I liked without the "Edited by..." line ever appearing. One of the advantages of being an admin. Now I can't but I can still edit other people's posts without any evidence being left behind.
Alex