Smart card and Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
OIPPI

Smart card and Thunderbird

Post by OIPPI »

I recently added a smart card reader on my computer to be used when logging in some special web sites and to digitally sign and encrypt some of my emails. I managed to set up my card reader and certificates etc and technically everything works fine except one thing:

Thunderbird asks my PIN code just once wen I send my first email after the smart card is inserted. After that the PIN is not asked with the following emails as long as the smart card is not removed from the card reader.

For security reasons I would like Thunderbird ask the PIN code every time an email is being sent like Outlook does.

Does anybody know what setting I should change?

Card reader: CSR3310
Card reader software: mPolluxDigiSign Client v1.3.2

Thanks in advance!
newbee 27

Re: Smart card and Thunderbird

Post by newbee 27 »

I d like to now the answer to that question too ...

I have the same problem with Print2PDF 8 --- i set it up to automatically digitally sign my documents printed to pdf BUT it asks me for my PIN or authentification code for using the digital signiture only the first time I use it :(
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Is the PIN being saved by the password wizard? Use tools -> options -> privacy -> passwords -> edit saved passwords -> show passwords to check that.
Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

I'm not sure that's a function of Thunderbird. Outlook 2007 behaves this way too depending on how you have the middleware for your card reader set up. There are options within Activcard/Activclient that can change whether a pin is requested every time.

Haven't really played with it, but just a thought.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Ralpy, you've posted to a thread that died out over a year ago. It's doubtful that any of the original posters are waiting for input on this topic.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.