0.9.1 coming

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

sasquatch wrote:
Steffen wrote:
sasquatch wrote:...
No. On starting a new release of Firefox the first time, you get a dialog informing you which extensions and themes were disabled. It also provides an update button.
Besides, disabled extensions are still listed in the extension manager and can be updated by clicking the update button.

So, the procedure is to restart with new version, attempt to update, if no updates available take your chances with old version?

Of course, this is hoping the old version of the extension supports searching for the update. Maybe it is best to uninstall?

These are tricky waters, I guess.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Carson wrote:[Best writer award (and not for the first time): Sasquatch. :-)]

Thanks if this is sincere, if not, oh well...TGIF!
sasquatch

Re: Winstripe in 0.9.1

Post by sasquatch »

neoufo51 wrote:
adamb wrote:Whoa! Major upgrade to Winstripe! It looks good! I'm quite impressed with the primary five icons. I will miss the directional triangles. I thought they were a neat "different" feel, but the new forward and back arrows are just great. Refresh looks super. So does "stop." The house is pretty standard fare, although much more like Qute than Winstripe's first take at it. Losing the low-laying shadows was probably a good choice, considering how non-Windows-y that style of shadow is.

I'm... still... waiting... for the <strong>new</strong> "new tab" icon -- one that <em>doesn't</em> look like a toaster. Other "secondary" icons I'm assuming will be updated to fit more with this style?

But seriously, this is great. Small icons look good, too! Great job to Gerich and Horlander! It seems there was a dramatic response to feedback generated regarding the theme.

And here it is. Much better than the Winstripe for 0.9, although I still think those back/forward buttons can look better.

I liked the triangles better, only because they were bigger and easier to click on. Here's to hoping they make a bigger "close tab" "x" icon as well!
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

TheOneKEA wrote:...
Bug 246618.

Uninstall the Download Manager Tweak extension and install this instead:

http://www.pryan.org/mozilla/site/TheOn ... ak_051.xpi

I tried right clicking on the download tweak and updating, but it said nothing newer available.

???
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

sasquatch wrote:
TheOneKEA wrote:Bug 246618.
Uninstall the Download Manager Tweak extension and install this instead:
http://www.pryan.org/mozilla/site/TheOn ... ak_051.xpi

I tried right clicking on the download tweak and updating, but it said nothing newer available.

Updating extensions doesn't work yet, because the necessary service on update.mozilla.org isn't running yet (said Ben in the update to his post on page 1).

Why don't you follow TheOneKEA's instructions:
1. Uninstall the Download Manager Tweak extension.
2. Restart Firefox (just to be sure).
3. Install the new version from the link above.

By the way, bug 246618 is the reason for this problem. But it's the extension that needs to adopt to a new feature in the download manager. So get the new version of it.

EDIT: 0.9.1 builds are not affected by this problem; they won't get the changes to the download manager.
Last edited by Steffen on June 25th, 2004, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

I take back the comment about the triangles being bigger. It is a square around the picture which you click on, so it doesn't matter.

I wish the close tab "x" had that square as well.

Steffen, is that version of download manager tweak the "official" one? I hate like heck running around getting each individual's interpretation of an extension (no knock intended to you, theonekea). I'd rather just try to uninstall and wait a bit I guess.
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

Don't know if it's official. Its homepage http://dmextension.mozdev.org/ features version 0.5.0 currently.
mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

sasquatch wrote:I take back the comment about the triangles being bigger. It is a square around the picture which you click on, so it doesn't matter.

I wish the close tab "x" had that square as well.

Steffen, is that version of download manager tweak the "official" one? I hate like heck running around getting each individual's interpretation of an extension (no knock intended to you, theonekea). I'd rather just try to uninstall and wait a bit I guess.

sasquatch, I was going to say to make sure to vote here http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=245806 if you hadn't, but I noticed you have. :) Everybody else go vote for the bug too!
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

sasquatch wrote:Steffen, is that version of download manager tweak the "official" one? I hate like heck running around getting each individual's interpretation of an extension (no knock intended to you, theonekea). I'd rather just try to uninstall and wait a bit I guess.

It is not official. I sent a PM to andman42 WRT this breakage, along with the same link I posted previously. If you like the functionality this extension provides, then you can use my unofficial hacked version. Or you can wait, as you appear to be doing.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

While it's true that the necessary update service on update.mozilla.org isn't running, even it was, download manager tweak wouldn't be available. Only official packages submitted by the author can go on the official update site, to avoid confusion between unofficial and official versions.

(Actually download manager tweak was up there for a while, before it was realised that it was not official and taken down).
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

michaell wrote:While it's true that the necessary update service on update.mozilla.org isn't running, even it was, download manager tweak wouldn't be available. Only official packages submitted by the author can go on the official update site, to avoid confusion between unofficial and official versions.

(Actually download manager tweak was up there for a while, before it was realised that it was not official and taken down).

0.5.0 should be up there. 0.5.1 should NOT (at least not this 0.5.1).
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

Yes, you're right. The version that was taken down was from before June 21st when 0.5.0 was done, and it was also unofficial. I guess the author hasn't submitted that version...
steeler_fan

Post by steeler_fan »

sasquatch wrote:
Steffen wrote:Firefox 0.9.1 will be made from the FIREFOX_0_9_1_BRANCH, which is basically the FIREFOX_0_9_RELEASE plus fixes for the bugs Ben mentioned in his post. So the question is not which bugs will be fixed until the release, but rather which fixes will be ported from the aviary branch to the 0.9.1 branch.

Actually, wouldn't it "trickle up" from the 0.9.1 branch to the "aviary" branch to the trunk in that order since each is a subset of the next?

I would think so.

I would think that the 0.9.1 branch may contain some "hacks" while the Aviary Branch/Trunk would get "actual" fixes. So all of the changes that go into 0.9.1 won't necessarily be just tossed into Aviary.
Of course, I don't *know* that for sure, but I have seen before a workaround get put on a branch and a real fix saved for later for the trunk.

edit: Of course, I *do* expect the theme changes to get backported...if they aren't already. Actually, now that I've checked Bonsai, it looks like they did make it to the branch.
Neil
Hooded One

Post by Hooded One »

Wow, Winstripe actually looks like a real theme now. I do agree that the Reload button looks a bit odd... the way the arrows point makes it look less like a circle and more like two paths trying to get out of each other's way. The Update button for the EM has the same problem, except it looks like two paths trying to get out of each other's way and *failing* at it. Heh. Loving the Stop button though.

Also, does the update fix the total retardedness of the Close Tab button?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
SuSE Linux 9.2, Kernel 2.6.8, KDE 3.3.2
mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

Hooded One wrote:Wow, Winstripe actually looks like a real theme now. I do agree that the Reload button looks a bit odd... the way the arrows point makes it look less like a circle and more like two paths trying to get out of each other's way. The Update button for the EM has the same problem, except it looks like two paths trying to get out of each other's way and *failing* at it. Heh. Loving the Stop button though.

Also, does the update fix the total retardedness of the Close Tab button?

From what sasquatch said above, I would understand it to still not be fixed. I'll test it myself here in a moment.

Edit: Nope, it is still not fixed.