Removing "Search.Conduit" From Firefox???

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kenh99

Removing "Search.Conduit" From Firefox???

Post by kenh99 »

installed 2 toolbars (Freecorder, Blueshirt) on 2 different PCs. Unknown to me these toolbars modified the WebSearch function in Firefox. I've learned that the toolbars are from 'Conduit.com'

when I highlight a word/phrase on a web page then Right Click and select "Search Web Search for "xxxx" from the context menu a Conduit branded Google page comes up. THAT is my problem, I want Conduit gone and the default UNbranded Google page back.

I totally uninstalled the toolbars in Firefox from add-ons/extensions but Google Search pages are STILL conduit pages.

I also changed in about:config :

browser.search.defaulturl back to the plain google default
keyword:url back to default

BUT I still get the conduit/google search result page.

I'm guessing that conduit made more Firefox config changes somewhere??

Could it be in here?

browser.search.param.Google.1.custom value = chrome://branding/content/searchconfig.properties

It's obvious that conduit has modified, re-directed, whatever....the default Google Search.

Is anyone familair with this problem?

I've posted this same request at Conduit's forum but as of yet no fix.

Please, how do I change that back? Or, where else can I get help with this?

Thanks,

Ken
Ken Harrell
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

In about:config, you can set any preference back to the default by right-clicking and selecting Reset (in case that's not what you were doing already).

Have you tried simply removing your current Google search and downloading the one from Mycroft?
  1. Click the icon on the left side of the search box > Manage search engines > select Google > Remove.
  2. Go to Mycroft Project: google and scroll down to 23. General. I'd guess the one you want is "Google (Will redirect based on location)" by Mycroft Project.
  3. Once you've decided on a search engine, click it, then click the Add button.
kenh99

Post by kenh99 »

Thanks for the fast response...

1. Didn't catch the "Reset" option before, but it's grayed out anyway...so I'm assuming it's never been changed?? Guess those preferences aren't the culprit.

2. Just discovered that if I use the Firefox Search Box dropdown, select Google vs. "Web Search," the Conduit branded Google page does NOT come up and the default Google page works fine.

So, it appears Search.Conduit modified the settings/preferences for the "WebSearch." Anyone know where I can see the "WebSearch" preferences and configs to look for this search.conduit stuff?

If I cant get this $%^&**& Conduit stuff removed at least now I know how to get my basic google page back. Still want to get this stuff outa here though....can't help but *wonder* if Conduit is tracking my searches.

Thanks
Ken Harrell
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

You're welcome :)

1. Correct.
2. I'm not sure I understand. You have a search engine entry named "Web Search"? Then simply remove any unwanted search engines following the steps I described at 1. in the previous post. There is no search engine by that name that comes preinstalled with Firefox, so if you don't want it or don't know what it does, just get rid of it. You can always add search engines later from the Mycroft page I linked to above.

Without a doubt. All search engines track your search queries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_ ... le#Privacy
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

The surest method of getting rid of that Conduit garbage is to create a new Profile, AFAIK Conduit hasn't gone as far as installing their crap into the program files.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_settings_to_a_new_profile

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Re: Removing "Search.Conduit" From Firefox???

Post by Guest »

I wanted to know if Firefox works with Conduit. Well I guess for your previous answer you don't like Conduit.
"The surest method of getting rid of that Conduit garbage"
Ok. the reason I use it is because of the ticker that I use to contact my friends with instantly on the browser, and the chat room for instant bonding... Can you advise me how to substitute these functions on Firefox, I am a new user and I am still getting my feet wet... #-o
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Guest...
Please don't post in these old threads.
Start a new one. Thanks.
Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
steviex

Post by steviex »

Meanwhile ... Look through the many, many Addons that are NOT junk, from HERE. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

I am sure you can find the same functionality
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.