Mozilla's Places Stats Project

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Omega X

Mozilla's Places Stats Project

Post by Omega X »

The Places Team has started a project to track stats of the Bookmarks and History handling of Firefox 3. That way they can find performance problems and optimize Firefox.

Its supposed to be "Anonymous" statistics. And everyone can see some of the stats that they collect on a separate page.

The Project Page.

The Stats Page.

If you want to volunteer, then go to the Project page and follow the directions. Remember, you are not forced to participate. A FAQ exists further down that project page.
sdwilsh

Re: Mozilla's Places Stats Project

Post by sdwilsh »

It's not just Firefox 3 though - Shiretoko and Minefield builds can participate too! The FAQ should hopefully answer any and all questions you have, but we are watching this thread so feel free to ask anything else related to this project!
Problem Solver
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

How come when I click both of the above links in IE, IE tries to download something?

I'll do this when I get home tonight.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

I saw the same as SN last night on IE while at work.. Opened a download dialog...
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

we're fixing that...clearly we didn't test this in IE
Problem Solver
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

Sdwilsh, what about users who have huge amounts of bookmarks? I'm not mentioning huge history users at this time because that data isn't as important as bookmarks.

I know there's bugs filed but what is the typical performance of someone with 100s of bookmarks? It seems it be better to start with these kinds of users. And honestly I don't ever think sqlite can handle huge amounts of bookmarks without freezing up the computer when copying, cutting or pasting them. HTML format FTW.
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

Submitted both mine and my girlfriends. Looking at the stats in the max row....someone has a ridiculous sized places database!! Not just the size but the amount of bookmarks, tags and things like that.
RNiK

Post by RNiK »

Submitted!
MondoWin ==> Italian site for information about MS Windows tweaking
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

oldtimer wrote:Sdwilsh, what about users who have huge amounts of bookmarks? I'm not mentioning huge history users at this time because that data isn't as important as bookmarks.

We get data on both history and bookmarks here. We are trying to get an idea on what is "average", as well as some idea on max values. All data submitted from real profiles is valuable.

oldtimer wrote:I know there's bugs filed but what is the typical performance of someone with 100s of bookmarks? It seems it be better to start with these kinds of users. And honestly I don't ever think sqlite can handle huge amounts of bookmarks without freezing up the computer when copying, cutting or pasting them. HTML format FTW.

SQLite isn't really the problem here, but rather the places infrastructure. We are trying to get these statistics so we can properly prioritize our work on re-architecture.
Problem Solver
Deja-Vu

Post by Deja-Vu »

I can't open either page. The ssl thing comes up and says both sites are untrusted. Some dialog wants me to install the site cert. Shouldnt it be up to me the end use wheather i want to visit the site or not without having to install some useless tracking cert?
This is what happens when you use an elephant gun to kill a mouse!
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

Deja-Vu wrote:I can't open either page. The ssl thing comes up and says both sites are untrusted. Some dialog wants me to install the site cert. Shouldnt it be up to me the end use wheather i want to visit the site or not without having to install some useless tracking cert?

WFM with a clean install of Firefox with a clean profile.
Problem Solver
earlpiggot

Post by earlpiggot »

Where is the link to participate? I can't find it in the project page. Furthermore, clicking on "JSON feed of AVG, STDDEV, MIN, and MAX" link, in stats page, I get asked what Minefield should do with file stats.
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

You can participate by reading https://places-stats.mozilla.com/#post and following those directions.
Problem Solver
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

Shawn, how is the data looking so far? Do you guys have any thoughts on if an improvement is needed somewhere or is it what you expected?
Last edited by supernova_00 on April 13th, 2009, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

supernova_00 wrote:Shawn, how is the data looking so far? Guys have any thoughts on if an improvement is needed somewhere or is it what you expected?

We haven't really looked at it too much yet. Still trying to finish random stuff that keeps popping up for 1.9.1, and then we will start planning 1.9.2 in more detail with that data.
Problem Solver