Deleting individual msgs from POP server

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
jsb

Deleting individual msgs from POP server

Post by jsb »

I know, I know, it's a bit early to be making feature requests, but we've got this spiffy new forum here and, well, I couldn't help myself....

I'd like to see Minotaur have more flexibility than Mozilla Mail in managing messages on POP servers. I've been using Eudora forever, and one of the features I really like is the flexibility to leave messages on the server and remove them from the server individually if I choose. IIRC, with MozMail you can choose to leave messages on the server, but you can only delete them from the server if you put the message in the trash and then empty the trash. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a little while since I've checked out MozMail in any great detail) Sometimes it's preferable to save a message in my email client inbox AND remove it from the server, but not be forced to remove all messages from the server.

I understand this may be a standards issue, since POP wasn't designed to deal with management of messages on the server like IMAP was, but I figured I'd raise the issue anyway :) The lack of this functionality is a major stumbling block that keeps me from spending more time with MozMail, and now Minotaur. This might be a feature that's more appropriate for an extension, but regardless, I'd like to put in my two cents and say that it's a feature that I'd like to see. Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer-type, so all I can do is make the suggestion and offer to test out anything that results from it :wink:
warenhaus

Post by warenhaus »

as i recall pegasus mail is supposed to have this feature, too, isn't it?
ХУЙ ВОЙНЕ!
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

warenhaus wrote:as i recall pegasus mail is supposed to have this feature, too, isn't it?

It does. Peg has a "selective download" option that brings just the mail headers. It displays sender, subject and date, and you can tag msgs for downloading in full, deleting from the server, or all of the above.
warenhaus

Post by warenhaus »

ok, i second the feature request then, really good idea.
ХУЙ ВОЙНЕ!
jsb

Post by jsb »

Neil Parks wrote:
warenhaus wrote:as i recall pegasus mail is supposed to have this feature, too, isn't it?

It does. Peg has a "selective download" option that brings just the mail headers. It displays sender, subject and date, and you can tag msgs for downloading in full, deleting from the server, or all of the above.

Just for comparison's sake, Eudora works as follows: In your inbox, or any other mailbox, a column in the message list indicates the status of the message on the server as fully downloaded, partially downloaded (You can instruct Eudora not to download messages over X kb...it will download the first X kb then truncate, and the message would be listed as partially downloaded), or marked for deletion from server the next time mail is checked. The space is blank if the message is not resident on the server. You can click on each message directly to change the server status.

Since it's been about four years since I've played with Pegasus, let me make sure I understand. You'd use a second/alternate window to view the headers of the messages still on the server and manage if/how those messages stay on the server?
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

jsb wrote:Since it's been about four years since I've played with Pegasus, let me make sure I understand. You'd use a second/alternate window to view the headers of the messages still on the server and manage if/how those messages stay on the server?

As I said, it's an option. You can choose to fetch all the msgs in the normal manner, or you can choose "selective download". If you do a "selective d/l", then you'll get a list of what's on the server. From that list you can then tag any msg or msgs, and apply one of three actions to those tagged msgs. The 3 actions are: Fetch the complete msg, del the msg from the server, or do both.
sgipan

Post by sgipan »

jsb wrote:Since it's been about four years since I've played with Pegasus, let me make sure I understand. You'd use a second/alternate window to view the headers of the messages still on the server and manage if/how those messages stay on the server?

If you refer to the Window-management: I'd think it would be a pop-up (like it is in "Rebecca", one of the most powerful win-emailclients I've encountered so far). In the popup the basic message headers are shown, and you can select them and then click one of the buttons "Receive", "Receive and Delete", "Delete" or "Read/Unread". That leaves the message with a little icon indicating what's to be done with it. So you can, e.g., select message 1,3 and 5 and click "delete" and then select messages 2, 4 and 6 and click "Receive and Delete" and select message 7 and click "delete". When you click OK, these tasks are being executed one by one.
I think this is a nice logical solution.
--Stephan
Last edited by sgipan on April 13th, 2003, 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
swingarm

Post by swingarm »

I would really like to see this too. I know Sylpheed(and Sylpheed-Claws) has the option of deleting emails off the server after X amount of days.
nightfalcon

Post by nightfalcon »

Same to me. I vote also for a feature which allows direct POP server management, e.g. deleting directly at the POP server.
One nuclear bomb can ruin your whole day!
deech

hear hear, i would like this also

Post by deech »

It's just like poco does in windows and its the one thing concerning mail i miss after switching to linux.
Would be great to see this coming to linux!

deech
slomvr

Post by slomvr »

deech wrote:It's just like poco does in windows and its the one thing concerning mail i miss after switching to linux.
Would be great to see this coming to linux!

deech
I am trying to make the switch to Linux. At this point the show stopper is my dependence on Pegasus email's ability to manage individual messages on the pop3 server. Since, Pegasus email has not been programed for Linux, I am not ready to make a complete switch. The last post on this subject that I can find is 22 Apr 2003. Does anyone know if there has since been progress in this field??
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Tbird gives you an option with POP accounts to fetch only the msg headers. You can choose an individual msg to download in full or delete off the server without downloading. And of course Tbird runs on Linux.

Does that help?
BuckFush

Post by BuckFush »

old Neil Parks wrote:
As I said, it's an option. You can choose to fetch all the msgs in the normal manner, or you can choose "selective download". If you do a "selective d/l", then you'll get a list of what's on the server. From that list you can then tag any msg or msgs, and apply one of three actions to those tagged msgs. The 3 actions are: Fetch the complete msg, del the msg from the server, or do both.

old Neil Parks wrote:Tbird gives you an option with POP accounts to fetch only the msg headers. You can choose an individual msg to download in full or delete off the server without downloading. And of course Tbird runs on Linux.

Does that help?

Where do I find this "option" ? It does not sound like what I prefer, but, it I can find the option and play with it, I may be able to make due. I just moved all my mail from eudora to TB. That is one of the first things I miss. My mail box is on hold until I do something about this. I may go right back to Eudora. This feature is a deal breaker. I like to keep old msgs for my reference. If I keep them on the server, I excede my account limit.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You dragged up a topic from 2003... Please start a new topic in Thunderbird Support and someone will help you there.