Networking/wireless

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Networking/wireless

Post by MeCasa »

I'd like to network my girlfriends laptop to both my Linskys wireless router AND my laptop.

Yet I'd like to be able to shut off the comp - comp network from my machine and reconnect with ease.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I'll also take a link to any forum with a possible answer
Sex is dirty only if it's done right .... Live and Let Live .... Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
...................................................... MeCasaEsSuCasa ................................................
Grumpus

Re: Networking/wireless

Post by Grumpus »

Does your linksys router have multiple connection capability?
If it does (what I've seen is four) you would have to give her access, possibly an IP or account number for access through the router, a log on Identity and password unless you did a straight wireless "firewire" sort of connection which may still need a password for some areas and could be an open door letting critters in. You may need another account ID from your ISP as well if she's bypassing connection to the internet through your box, going direct.
You may also need to have some form of an "adduser" capability and you will want to look and see what kind multiple connections can be run under your system.
For disconnect I'd just power down and physically unplug the jack to the sender for your computer or if it's a stick sender, just unplug the stick if it won't lose any settings.
I'm guessing here a little, well may more than a little. But a physical disabling of the wireless would seem to be necessary for complete break. The router would always be on in case your girlfriends wanted to go surfing without you or look for someone else in the personals. ;)
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Post by MeCasa »

hehe, I don't mind her boy shopping in the personals, I just don't want here searching my personals.

My router is a Linksys WRT54GL and I don't know if it has personal password capability outside of the encryption key.

I'm going to learn to 'power down' but I've always left my PC's on 24/7 :oops:
Sex is dirty only if it's done right .... Live and Let Live .... Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
...................................................... MeCasaEsSuCasa ................................................
condorito

Post by condorito »

^ I know cold booting a PC is a pain, but today's PC boot faster, and you don't even need to power down all the way, use "suspend" or "stand by", whatever they call it.
So the maples formed a union, and demanded equal rights. The oaks are just too greedy, we will make them give us light.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Problem with standby or suspend is in some systems the computer can still be accessed or turned on if the communication connection still exists. This would be something to consider.

I found this in a quick search, may have some help for you.
Linksys WRT54GL
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you