Initiate Repackage Beam! FIRE!

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Initiate Repackage Beam! FIRE!

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

This is the holy land of repackages. Or somesuch.

Caveats:
. These extensions are 0.9 and up only (they do not function on 0.8 and lower), if you want the older versions, get them from Boulema's mirror [link].
. These extensions are en-US only. For some reason Firefox borked whenever I tried to use multiple locales. I'm not entirely sure why that is.

If anyone wants to adjust these for 0.8 or add the other locales to them, feel free. I thank morphis for his cleanly laid out install.rdf which I stole just because I had the files handy.

The extensions:
Descriptions from Boulema's Mirror and the Extension Room

- BlogThis [install]
"Adds a context menu option to blog a link to the current page and the selected text (if any) through Blogger's BlogThis form."

- ConQuery [install]
"ConQuery is an extension for Mozilla/Firefox/Netscape which allows to query web services via context menu of the browser. Queries can contain special variables to be passed to CGI's: Selected text; Page URL; Page host; User text input."

- Digger [removed]
"This extension has been updated by Clav [link]."

- EZ Sidebar [removed]
"It has been brought to my attention that EZ Sidebar has already been repackaged. All the links I tried didn't have an install.rdf, including the one from Piro's site. Perhaps this was because of cache I do not know. However, there is a repackaged version at this link [link]."

- GoTo [removed]

-GoUp [removed]

- Link Toolbar [removed]

- Linkit [removed
"This extension has been rendered redundant by more recent releases of Link Toolbar."

- mozWho [removed]
"This extension has been proven broken rather than simply packaged the old way, some of the core code needs to be rewritten for it to work with the new bookmarks system and thusly because I don't want people installing bad extensions, this has been removed."

- Next Image (with hotkeys) [install]
"This is an extension for Mozilla and Phoenix that can detect an image URL and automagically increment it with the use of Ctrl and the Up or Down cursor key (hotkeys implimented by MonkeeSage). This is very handy for sites with image galleries lacking "Prev/Next" functionality."

- Nice Title [install]
"This adds fancy CSS transparent tooltips that appear when one uses find-as-you-type or hovers over a link. It shows the 'Title' tag if the link anchor has one and the URL itself."

- PrefButtons [removed]
"The development of this extension has been taken over by Samir L. Boulema and the first new version of it can be found at his mirror. [link]"

- SearchThis (updated!) [install]
"This is an extension that allows you to highlight text and send it to a selection of search engines via new entries in the context-menu." - "MartinD has fixed the broken IMDB URL issue. SearchThis should now be fully functional with IMDB again. Many thanks, for that."

- Smoothwheel [removed]
"The official smoothwheel page has updated with a new version for Firefox 0.9 and up, please use that instead. You can find that page here [link]."

- SpellCheckerFE [removed]
"This has been removed due to the development being picked up and continued by wig_out_on_me, the newest version of the spellchecker (called SpellBound) can be found here [link]."

- Toolbar Enhancements Qute [install]
"This makes the toolbars more flexible and allows creating new toolbars and placing buttons on the statusbar, it also comes with a number of new buttons; such as options, cookies, clear cache and permissions type buttons to improve your browsing experience. Note Clav, if you don't want this here, simply say the word and I'll pull it."

- URLfix [install]
"Anyone who uses a multilingual computer has to switch between keyboard layouts. Periodically this causes folks to forget to switch layout before entering an URL. If the URL entered contains only localized symbols then we can easily convert it to latin symbols using a customizable keyboard layouts map."

Update! You might want to reinstall what you've installed from this page if you're the kind of person who likes tinkering with your jars. I've changed the installation GUIDs so they install to directories (in /extensions) more relevant to the name of the extension itself, rather than a jumble of letters. I got this approach from Clav and it works very well.

Warning, Danger Will Robinson My server's directories often undergo tumultous reorganization. If something appears to be missing, head to the relevant directory (they should now be publically viewable) and take a peek in the subdirectories, it's probably been filed somewhere absent-mindedly by myself.
Last edited by Rowne Mastaile on August 2nd, 2004, 1:42 am, edited 21 times in total.
Hidea

Post by Hidea »

can you give descriptions? :p
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

Waugh, do I have to? My fingers hurt. ^.^

Okay, sure... hang on a moment, I'll copy them over from Sboulema's mirror.
Hidea

Post by Hidea »

Yes yess! :D :D

Hey, thanks Roan!! I'm using one of them at the moment! :D
Rowne Mastaile

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

Added Smoothwheel.

My chrome is finally cleeeeean. Whee!
Hidea

Post by Hidea »

DARN... smooth whell is NICEEEEE....
Wolfey

Post by Wolfey »

Thanks for repackaging these - I haven't used these for a long time, and now I can again! :D

(Especially Go To, GoUp, and SmoothWheel, my personal favorites in that list. I'm giving LinkIt and Link Toolbar another look, too, just out of curiosity :P)
Firefox (most recent stable version) - Windows 2K Pro SP4 / XP Pro SP2
Where is this red diamond/dot coming from? (Bug 272534)
Rowne Mastaile

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

I'm hoping to raise interest in them actually, so the developers might pick them up again and if that happens, I have a suggestion or two which I might aswell mention here for the heck of it.

I'd love to see Link Toolbar with hotkeys, hotkeys that I could reassign with keyconfig. Then I could setup the hotkeys to be whatever I want and hide the toolbar.

That way I could lazily browse through a webcomic archive with nothing but [Ctrl]+[Right Cursor]. That'd be nifty.

Can't do that right now with Next Image. As good as Next Image is, it has brainfarts on dates, whereas Link Toolbar handles dates fine.

-Edit-

Oh! If anyone has any requests, I'd be more than happy to try. Check on Boulema's mirror first though (link above), someone might've repackaged it or it might've been broken and whilst I can repackage a broken extension, I can't fix it. So it'll still be broken, sorry. Yet if a functional extension still exists that anyone happens to like that hasn't been updated, point me at it and I'll give it a shot.
Hidea

Post by Hidea »

Roan, can you see if you can fix EZ Sidebars?
Rowne Mastaile

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

Ooh, that's neat!

Anyway, done and done! I'll add it to the list, now.
Hidea

Post by Hidea »

What did you just do?
Rowne Mastaile

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

I've repackaged it, it functions on 0.9. I've got it installed here and it's pretty nifty.

I cannot help but wonder why I had not tried this before, slipped under the radar, it did. Howell.
Hidea

Post by Hidea »

So, you don't know where to edit the config?
Rowne Mastaile

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

I sent you the instructions via PM but if anyone else isn't sure, here are the instructions I wrote up for Hidea, explaining how to edit the Smoothwheel config:

Close Firefox.

Click the Start Menu button.
. If XP/2k: Click Search.
. If 9x/Me: Click Find then Files or Folders.

Type in smoothwheel.jar and hit enter.

When it finds it, rename smoothwheel.jar to smoothwheel.zip and double-click it.

Click into the contents folder then decompress the JS file and edit it. Then add it back into the zip file. If your program has 'edit on the fly' (edit without decompression) capabilities like 7-Zip does (F4) then you can use those instead.

When you're done changing the options, make sure the JS is saved back in and close the file.

Rename the file back to smoothwheel.jar.

Start Firefox.
Hidea

Post by Hidea »

Thanks a lot Roan!! :D :D

Wow.. setting no 4 is UBER! :D

BTW, Link to EZ Sidebar is broken