How can I enable Flash if I disable PLID scanning?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tanstaafl

How can I enable Flash if I disable PLID scanning?

Post by tanstaafl »

about:plugins in Firefox 3.0.8 lists the Google update plugin npGoogleOneClick7.dll . It doesn't seem to be doing any harm but I'd like to prevent it from being loaded. Its in C:\Users\eric\AppData\Local\Google\Update\1.2.141.5 so it seems the only reason why its loaded is due to the plugin.scan.plid.all setting in all.js. The plugin scanning article warns that setting that false will disable Flash.

I'm surprised there is no way to create a preference to explicitly tell Firefox to ignore a directory when its scanning the PLIDs. Disabling the PLID scanning seems heavy handed.

The Flash - Firefox and Plugin scanning articles don't describe how to enable Flash if I set plugin.scan.plid.all false. Should I copy NPSWF32.dll and flashplayer.xpt from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash to the Firefox plugins directory? If that works do I have to do that every time I update Flash?
the-edmeister

Re: How can I enable Flash if I disable PLID scanning?

Post by the-edmeister »

If you turn that Google plugin off in Tools > Addons -> Plugins, it won't appear in about:plugins - so it isn't gonna be "loaded" - ??
Should I copy NPSWF32.dll and flashplayer.xpt from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash to the Firefox plugins directory? If that works do I have to do that every time I update Flash?

That should work, and that's how I would try to handle your situation - but I wouldn't have installed that Google garbage to begin with. :wink:
Although if you don't want that Google feature to work in any Firefox installation/Profile, you could try deleting that DLL - if it's gone Firefox ain't gonna find it with the "scan". But then a Google update might re-install that DLL file.

Yep, you might have to move those Flash files into the \plugin\ folder - if those files are changed with a Flash update, but that didn't seem to happen for me when I was running Firefox 2 and earlier versions - either those files weren't changed by Macromedia or they worked fine even though they didn't match the new version. But of course, since Adobe took over Flash there have been compatibility problems between what Macromedia released (version 9) and what Adobe has released (version 10) - so who knows?

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can check the registry to see if you can find the Google plugin in the MozillaPlugins key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\MozillaPlugins
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Thanks.

dickvl:

It just has HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@microsoft.com/WPF,version=3.5

the-edmeister:

I don't want to delete the DLL since I want Chromium to check for updates, and
if I moved it temporarily I'd have to do that again every time Firefox updates.

Disabling the add-on prevents it from being loaded. I'll stick with that since it seems like the least hassle solution. I'm used to disabling extensions, but completely overlooked that you can do that for plugins too :)