Where are my addons? They don't show up anywhere!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
furstrated

Where are my addons? They don't show up anywhere!

Post by furstrated »

Hi guys, ever had a problem that you know the solution to must be so simple, but you spend ages trying to solve it, and feel dumb at the end?

I download addons, like the Tor proxy one, the video downloader, etc etc, but afterwards I can't access them.

None of my addons show up anywhere on Firefox, not at the status bar on the bottom, nowhere. I can access my Extensions manager, and I see them there, but can't use them. Right clicking the top of the screen, and going to Customize to find the toolbar doesn't work either. None of my addons show up.

I can't find this question elsewhere, no matter the way i word the question in google. Can someone help out? thaks
Artillerie

Post by Artillerie »

Addons that don't have an actual button can be accessed in a variety of ways. If you click on an Add On in the Add On/Extension manager it often allows you to access options and settings there. Also some add ons allow extra functionality by adding to the menus, both in the menu bar at the top of the browser and right click drop down context menus.
Check the Add On home pages for guides to their functionality and use. Some authors provide better guides than others.
You Sir are drunk !!
Madam. In the morning I will be sober, but you will still be ugly.!!
furstrated

thanks

Post by furstrated »

thanks for the response.

But one addon, for example, is specifically supposed to add a button on my status bar at the bottom. But even after installing it won't show up. I'm talking about https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2390/

It won't show up, I can't get it to no matter what.

Same with the Tor proxy addon

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2275/

Both of them are supposed to add buttons i can access, but neither does. I'll be honest, its driving me crazy because it doesn't make sense to me.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Same with the Tor proxy addon

That extension merely adds a button for Tor, do you have Tor installed?
"Torbutton provides a button to easily enable or disable the browser's use of Tor."
http://freehaven.net/~squires/torbutton/

As far as VideoDownloader, never used it myself, but some extensions don't show their Statusbar button until there is content on the page that the extension can handle. (Like the page loading bar in the Statusbar disappears when the page is completely loaded.) Could that be the case with that extension? Have you actually gone the the "Sites Supported" to see if the Statusbar button will appear?

I agree with Artillerie that some extensions provide a better "instruction manual" than others. Plus some authors use the Options panel reached thru the Extension Manager, while others may just "drop" a Toolbar button in the Customize palette and expect the user to find it there without providing any documentation.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
furstrated

thanks

Post by furstrated »

thanks for the reply.

I do actually have tor installed. I even turned it on and tried starting firefox, with no luck.

As for the video downloader, i have gone to websites its supposed to integrate into, such as ifilm and youtube, with no luck. Nothing shows up. I also followed the video tutorial on the addon's button. I've downloaded other addons, its not just those two that won't show up anywhere, NONE of them show up.

I updated Firefox, didn't make a difference. Thanks for any advice guys
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Are you using the 'Default' theme? Some themes have been known to not see the 'new icon' for example, thus it never shows up..as the theme was not set to display it..

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9a3pre) Gecko/20070307 Minefield/3.0a3pre Firefox ID:2007030704 [cairo]
furstrated

thanks

Post by furstrated »

thanks for the reply. Unfortunately i've never installed any skins, so its the default that came with firefox :(

So I still can't work it out. See why I'm so frustrated!
welshsteve

Re: Where are my addons? They don't show up anywhere!

Post by welshsteve »

I have the same problem. I use extensions such as SpeedDial, WebDeveloper Toolbar etc, and the toolbar buttons aren't anywhere to be seen, nor are there any menus for accessing them. I can access them in the extension manager, but none of the settings make any difference. It's very frustrating.
Cheers

Steve
rtmc59

Post by rtmc59 »

, and the toolbar buttons aren't .

right-click the menu-bar
click Customise
drag the button up from the popup window and drop on a toolbar
AddonsInvisible

Post by AddonsInvisible »

frustrated, did you ever solve this issue? I am having it too: essentially none of my addons are working. I've tried a number of things but something remains amiss.

These were all working and then I had an issue that caused Firefox III to crash the moment it was opened and since it's never worked right again.

I've blown away profiles and have uninstalled/re-installed firefox and have considered removing it all the way down to the registry level (but reconsidered as I don't want to de-stabilize my system. I'd also heard there were some potential Norton Anti-virus and firewall issues that conflicted with them, but uninstalling my Norton and restarting the PC didn't help. I'm thinking about disabling my SPY BOT monitor just to see if that helps.
welshsteve

Post by welshsteve »

rtmc59 wrote:
, and the toolbar buttons aren't .

right-click the menu-bar
click Customise
drag the button up from the popup window and drop on a toolbar

That's always my first thing to try, but the buttons don't appear in the list to drag them. In the end I completely removed FIrefox, deleted all traces of Mozilla from Documents and Settings, cleaned the registry and then re-installed. Touch wood, so far no problems.
Cheers

Steve
GRRR ANNOYED!!

Post by GRRR ANNOYED!! »

I HAVE THIS PROBLEM TOO AND ITS >:O
nuts-zilla

Post by nuts-zilla »

Hi, I have the same problem! Especially annoying is the fact that I can't have the Undo Closed Tabs list shown anywhere that makes this particular add-on useless really. Another issue is that once positioned, the buttons you add from the customise tool bar, the next time when you decide to customise them (the buttons) you can't move them any more. So you have to use the reset default functionality and customise the whole thing again. The stuff that really drives me nuts is that I just cannot move the "research bar" inside the menu bar, so that I can have the menus with the google search on the first line and the navigation buttons with the page url on the second line. This gives me more space for my research trough google and the mozilla bookmarks, which is much easier as I do not have to move forwards and backwards trough my text in order to see what I just put as keywords... anyway I hope this will be solved.. under linux the problem does not exist for the same version of mozilla firefox 3.0.8. So it must be something to do with the windows but this is a pure speculation...
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
ohwe0h808w

Post by ohwe0h808w »

I'm having a different problem, I can see and use all my add-ons, but they don't show up in my list of extensions for me to remove or update.