Attn: For all your tab-related needs, get Tab Extensions

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Killmaster

Attn: For all your tab-related needs, get Tab Extensions

Post by Killmaster »

Ok, since there seems to be a plague of threads everywhere requesting things that TBE already offers, this is a reminder.

Here's the link for your convenience: http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/xpi ... nsions.xpi

I'll say it again for good measure: IF YOU WANT A TAB-RELATED FEATURE THAT IS NOT IN THERE BY DEFAULT, TABBED BROWSING EXTENSIONS MOST LIKELY OFFERS IT ALREADY.
Chris Cook

Any feature

Post by Chris Cook »

Why not just mention, while you're at it, that if there is ANY feature missing that you want, its in TBE. :)
Goldzilla

Post by Goldzilla »

And if it isn't there, send email to Piro so that we can all enjoy that feature in the future.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
ssstraub

Post by ssstraub »

I had to disable TBE after it *significantly* slowed down my 0.5 milestone release. It was fixed 100% once I turned it off. The interesting thing is it took many days/weeks of use to get slow...
navegante

Post by navegante »

Hum... don´t you think that the fact of so many people ask about tabs preferences is quite a important matter? Aren´t users lost? Isn´t the browser missing something in it´s tools?
Maybe the great dev should have a little meeting...

http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8373
"The interest in encouraging freedom of expression in a democratic society outweighs any theoretical but unproven benefit of censorship."

Lado Negro da WEB
http://www.ladonegro.net
tve

Post by tve »

features like <b>open target="_blank" in new tab</b> should definitely be implemented by default, this was already suggested so many countless times like no other feature request...

oh, and I prefer Tabbrowser Preferences:
http://pages.infinit.net/cdcook/phoenix ... l#tabprefs
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
djk

TBE slowness and integration with the trunk...

Post by djk »

ssstraub wrote:I had to disable TBE after it *significantly* slowed down my 0.5 milestone release. It was fixed 100% once I turned it off. The interesting thing is it took many days/weeks of use to get slow...

I've seen really ugly slowdowns of opening new tabs after running Px with TBE for a few hours.

IMNSHO, certain features from TBE should make it to the trunk:
1) The aforementioned open target="_blank" in new tab
2) DnD positioning of tabs
3) Duplicate Tab (Opens a new tab with the same page loaded _and_ keeps tab session history)
4) Maybe limited TabGroup functionality (new tabs opened via a link in current tab are positioned directly to the right of the opener, ^T still opens a tab at the far right).

I think that TBE has _way_ too many prefs for the average Joe, but the 4 features above don't need extensive prefs to control them. They seem like features that should have been part of Tabbed Browsing from the get-go. If you want more fine-grained control of how and where tabs are opened and closed, use TBE.

My $0.02
navegante

Post by navegante »

JBassford wrote:
I didn't spend much time with it, but the thing that (again) annoyed me about it was it's poor support for tabbed browsing. Yes, it does have tabbed browsing, but it's not nearly as "nice" an experience as is tabbed browing with Mozilla. (And even Mozilla has several issues.)
dacovale wrote:All the features you describe are present in TBE (Tabbed Browser Extensions).

Okay, I feel like a broken record here (I can't count the number of times I've replied to this kind of comment). I know about TBE and Multzilla. However, until an upgrade can be performed without overwriting an extension (requiring it to be reinstalled) it's simply not workable. Does Phoenix let you upgrade while keeping XPIs in place? (Mozilla already does all of the above and it's all native to the browser.)

AS http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8383
"The interest in encouraging freedom of expression in a democratic society outweighs any theoretical but unproven benefit of censorship."

Lado Negro da WEB
http://www.ladonegro.net
iamnotniles

Post by iamnotniles »

I'd like to see "close all other tabs" make a return as it was useful for getting rid of "inappropriate" sites very quickly wink wink nudge nudge.

At least could it be in the file menu?
Chris Cook

Post by Chris Cook »

tve wrote:features like <b>open target="_blank" in new tab</b> should definitely be implemented by default, this was already suggested so many countless times like no other feature request...

oh, and I prefer Tabbrowser Preferences:
http://pages.infinit.net/cdcook/phoenix ... l#tabprefs

tve, please update any bookmarks or links you have for tabprefs to:
http://www.intraplanar.net/phoenix/index.html#tabprefs
as the page has moved and I am not maintaining the old site (although I am now reminded I need to close it down). This URL will probably also change though in the near future (when the new name is announced) as I didn't plan too well.
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

navegante wrote:
JBassford wrote:Does Phoenix let you upgrade while keeping XPIs in place?

To answer myself (or the quote of myself) - yes. Both Phoenix (and Mozilla) can be updated while TBE remains in place. However, I still don't want to have to install 90% of TBE's add-ons (which I don't need) just for the 10% it offers that will get Phoenix up to parity with Mozilla's native tabbed browsing functionality.
djk

TBE

Post by djk »

JBassford wrote:However, I still don't want to have to install 90% of TBE's add-ons (which I don't need) just for the 10% it offers that will get Phoenix up to parity with Mozilla's native tabbed browsing functionality.

What Moz tabbed browsing functionality can you not change in Px via about:config?

djk wrote:IMNSHO, certain features from TBE should make it to the trunk:
1) The aforementioned open target="_blank" in new tab
2) DnD positioning of tabs
3) Duplicate Tab (Opens a new tab with the same page loaded _and_ keeps tab session history)
4) Maybe limited TabGroup functionality (new tabs opened via a link in current tab are positioned directly to the right of the opener, ^T still opens a tab at the far right).

I think that TBE has _way_ too many prefs for the average Joe, but the 4 features above don't need extensive prefs to control them. They seem like features that should have been part of Tabbed Browsing from the get-go. If you want more fine-grained control of how and where tabs are opened and closed, use TBE.

Figure that a bug for these things would be marked WONTFIX?
I may just have to find out...

[edit: of course, I should search bugzilla for outstanding enhancement requests for tabbed brows[er|ing] before filing a dup...]
old jasonb

Re: TBE

Post by old jasonb »

djk wrote:What Moz tabbed browsing functionality can you not change in Px via about:config?

Okay, let me just quote the rest of my post from this thread. <grin>

JBassford wrote: More specifically are things like bookmark groups, context menu items that Mozilla has, and (in my mind) a lack of support for exposed preference settings. I realise that Phoenix is all about not having visible preferences and just "doing it right" - except that almost all of the default behaviour I see with its tabbed browsing is contrary to how I have Mozilla configured in terms of the UI. I think that tabbed browsing is a visible enough feature that it should be treated more seriously in terms of front-end preference exposure.

My biggest peeve: It's not possible to get a new tab icon on the tab bar itself. Yet the close tab icon is on it. That's not consistent at all. Either both should be there or neither. (I'd prefer both, but would rather neither as opposed to a "half" implemented UI.) Further, since toolbar customizabilty is such a big thing with Phoenix, the tab bar itself should be customizable (so such buttons can be added or removed) and/or treated just like another toolbar. (I didn't check the back-end prefs, but I would hope that it's possible to always have the tab bar visible, even with just a single tab, so that a new tab button on the tab bar would always make sense.)

My biggest positive surprise: Phoenix isn't victim to bug 196438 that plagues Mozilla - this is where, at overflow, the right-most tab is partially covered by the close tab button because the right margin (for tabs) is not being properly recalculated at overflow. In Phoenix, there's very clear UI separation between the right-most tab and the close button.

Update to comments above: After investigating, I found that the lack of a new tab button on the tab bar was marked WONTFIX in bug 186685, with which I couldn't disagree with more. (Not that that matters. <grin>) However, I believe that either both open and close should be on the tab bar, or neither. (And Close Tab should be added to the list of buttons you can put on toolbars in general.) Or the tab bar should be customizable.

On a general note, as I mentioned in another thread, bugzilla.mozilla.org is going to be brought to its knees (far more than with /.) if Phoenix just suddenly replaces Mozilla and people find all sorts of functionality that they've been used to for a while missing. (People are going to be working overtime with WONTFIX resolutions and/or dupes to WONTFIX resolutions. <grin>)
alanjstr

Re: TBE

Post by alanjstr »

JBassford wrote:My biggest peeve: It's not possible to get a new tab icon on the tab bar itself.

cdn took care of that with <a href="http://cdn.mozdev.org/trivial/">Trivial</a>
Also, for a lighter tab extension, try <a href="http://texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html#Tabbrowser%20Preferences">Tabbrowser Preferences</a> (or as I call it, TBE lite)

JBassford wrote:On a general note, as I mentioned in another thread, bugzilla.mozilla.org is going to be brought to its knees (far more than with /.) if Phoenix just suddenly replaces Mozilla and people find all sorts of functionality that they've been used to for a while missing. (People are going to be working overtime with WONTFIX resolutions and/or dupes to WONTFIX resolutions. <grin>)

As far as I can tell, unforking isn't an overnight process. Also, there may be some change in ownership and decisionmaking once it is remerged. Remember, the whole point of the Phoenix browser is that it can be customized with extensions.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files