Console Filter 0.3.3 [EOL]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Khym Chanur

Re: Console Filter 0.3.2

Post by Khym Chanur »

I'm unable to figure out how to use Console Filter, using Console Filter 0.3.2 and Console^2 0.3.10 with FireFox 3.1b2. The start of this thread mentions using about:config, but all I can find with that is extensions.consolefilter.categories, and setting that to true doesn't seem to do anything. It also says to use Ctrl+K or Ctrl+Q to focus on the the Console Filter, but bringing up the error console and using either of those key combinations doesn't focus on anything.

Thanks in advance.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Khym Chanur wrote:I'm unable to figure out how to use Console Filter, using Console Filter 0.3.2 and Console^2 0.3.10 with FireFox 3.1b2. The start of this thread mentions using about:config, but all I can find with that is extensions.consolefilter.categories, and setting that to true doesn't seem to do anything. It also says to use Ctrl+K or Ctrl+Q to focus on the the Console Filter, but bringing up the error console and using either of those key combinations doesn't focus on anything.

Ah, Sorry about that. In Console², the console filter is a customizable toolbar item. Right click on a blank spot in any toolbar in Console² and select the "Customize..." menu item. Then drag the Console Filter box out of the customize palette and on to one of the toolbars.

Phil
Khym Chanur

Post by Khym Chanur »

Ah, that did it, thanks.
Khym Chanur

Post by Khym Chanur »

Just wanted to note that though FireFox 3.2a1pre thinks that Console Filter 0.3.2 is incompatible, it works just fine once forced to install via the Nightly Tester Tools addon.
wetsqueegee

Post by wetsqueegee »

Would it be possible to have an OR search? It would be useful for searching on my_script_name and greasemonkey (for errors that happen in GM's sandbox). Perhaps a pipe symbol?

keyword1 |keyword2
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Khym Chanur wrote:Just wanted to note that though FireFox 3.2a1pre thinks that Console Filter 0.3.2 is incompatible, it works just fine once forced to install via the Nightly Tester Tools addon.

Thanks!

I've bumped the maxVersion to 3.7 and updated Console Filter 0.3.2 (still the same version number). You can get it from the extension home page at http://console2.mozdev.org/cf/index.html

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

wetsqueegee wrote:Would it be possible to have an OR search? It would be useful for searching on my_script_name and greasemonkey (for errors that happen in GM's sandbox). Perhaps a pipe symbol?

keyword1 |keyword2

To be frank the REGEXP used by zeniko is way over my head. I have no idea how (if it is at all possible) to do this. The code is here in console2/src/consolefilter/chrome/content/consolefilter/consolefilter.js. Look for the section starting at /*** filter functionality ***/. If anyone can come up with a patch to do this I'd accept it in a shot.

Phil
Philip Chee

Re: Console Filter 0.3.3 [EOL]

Post by Philip Chee »

Console Filter has been discontinued. It is recommended to use Console² instead.
Console² 0.5 now contains a built in version of the Console Filter bar.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Console Filter helps you to find the relevant errors in the JavaScript Console.

If you use JavaScript in strict mode (javascript.options.strict is set), it can get pretty difficult to find your own lapses and oversights. Console Filter gives you more control over the console, so that you can focus on debugging instead of digging:

The filter syntax is some kind of "Google Lite": the messages in the console are searched for all terms entered (AND search), but must not contain any terms preceded by a minus sign (NOT search); terms inside quotations marks must be found in that order (exact phrase):
example wrote:error -expect "declaration dropped"

Additionally, there are a few special category filters:
  • @js (JavaScript errors only),
  • @css (CSS errors only),
  • @xml (XML/XUL/XBL/HTML errors only), and
  • @- (messages and strict warnings only).
These can be enabled through about:config (recommended for Firefox 1.5).

The filter textbox can be focused (and its content selected) through the hotkeys [Ctrl]+[K] (as the Web Search bar - opposing to [Ctrl]+[L] for the evaluation field) and [Ctrl]+[Q].

The current filter is saved between sessions, as is a list of up to ten permanent filters. To add a filter to that list, confirm it with [Return]. To remove it again, just right-click on it.

Download
Console Filter 0.3.3

This release should work for all Mozilla based products with a JavaScript Console and an extension framework: Firefox 1.0 to 3.7a, Thunderbird 1.0 to 3.2a, Nvu 1.0, Sunbird 0.7 to 1.0, Netscape 7.2 to 9.0.0.*, Mozilla Suite 1.7.x, SeaMonkey 1.0 to 2.1a and the Gecko 1.9.3 nightlies.

Revisions
~~~~ 0.3.3 ~~~~
  • [update] maxVersion bump for current Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey trunk nightlies.
  • [new] Compatibility metadata (install.rdf) for various obscure gecko/toolkit applications such as eMusic DLM, Spicebird, Fennec, and Postbox supplied by Seamaiden. Note: these applications are not officially supported and are untested. I'm taking Seamaidens word that Console Filter works in these applications.
Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Philip Chee wrote:Console Filter has been discontinued. It is recommended to use Console² instead.
Console² 0.5 now contains a built in version of the Console Filter bar.

If you have Console² installed, right click in a blank space on one of the Console² toolbars and select "Customize...". Then drag the Filterbar out on to the toolbar.

Phil
JAB Creations

Post by JAB Creations »

After updating from Firefox 3.6.3 to 3.6.4 the filters I had in place disappeared. This has been an issue for some time now though I never could figure out until today what was causing the filters to disappear. Seeing hundreds of errors from Yahoo I almost fainted! :roll: #-o
Here to mostly fix the browser's broken GUI. I maintain the Fixed Firefox website to share the things I've confirmed work.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

JAB Creations wrote:After updating from Firefox 3.6.3 to 3.6.4 the filters I had in place disappeared. This has been an issue for some time now though I never could figure out until today what was causing the filters to disappear. Seeing hundreds of errors from Yahoo I almost fainted! :roll: #-o

The filters should be in a pref called extensions.consolefilter. Can you check about:config (filter for consolefilter) to see if they are still there. Do you also have Console² v0.5 or v0.6 installed? I seem to have forgotten to add the consolefilter default pref to Console². If the problem is the latter. Please try the latest dev version which I just updated:

http://downloads.mozdev.org/console2/console2-0.7dev.xpi

Phil
JAB Creations

Post by JAB Creations »

I had already put the filters back manually before you replied so I guess I'll just wait until 3.6.5? I was running 0.6 and now have 0.7a installed that you linked to. If this happens again I'll try to remember to visit here first.
Here to mostly fix the browser's broken GUI. I maintain the Fixed Firefox website to share the things I've confirmed work.