1.0 Release Plan (discussion)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

Why does the roadmap still make mention of the 0.10, 0.11 and 0.12 releases?
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
ehume

Post by ehume »

Ben

I asked this question in the theme section, but I'll ask it again here:

Are you going ahead with the change to https display (gold URL bar)? Or will you be reverting to the previous method?

Any other changes to themes before 1.0?

Thanks.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
Racer

Post by Racer »

The links to the 1.0rc1 bug lists are either not working or no bugs exist. I prefer the latter, but am leaning towards the former :)
AGSHender

Post by AGSHender »

Heh, the bugs exist, but if you look at the URL it's pulling bugs from Firefox v0.1 instead of v1.0. Just needs a URL update. :)
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

If it was an obvious URL fix, I'd fix it. However, I'm not sure exactly which bugs are intended to appear in which query, and if bugzilla is going to be updated to match the renamed releases. In other words, the URLs may become more correct by changing bugzilla, rather than the other way around...
DIGITALgimpus

Re: 1.0 Release Plan

Post by DIGITALgimpus »

bengoodger wrote:There is a new bugzilla nomination flag - blocking-aviary1.0RC1. We are now going to be fairly tight fisted about approvals here since we prefer to hit our target dates than become sidetracked. We would like to keep the bug list as similar in length to or shorter than what it is now. Basically we are trying to maintain feasibility. This may mean that your pet bug may be minused. This is an unfortunate consequence of project management, but if you can produce a patch and make a case for your fix, it may be allowed in.

It's wording like this that creeps me out a bit.

IMHO I'd rather a delay of another few weeks (perhaps even an extra release if necessary) to ensure all the big bugs are done... rather than make the priority the target date.

The extension manager is great, but I think most agree, it's a bit buggy.

There's also issues with security (http://www.squarefree.com/archives/000487.html) which would be good to fix by 1.0, since Mozilla's getting some serious press as a 'more secure' browser. No sense in shipping until all known exploits like this are taken care of.

There's also printing bugs that make printing pretty bad compared to what users will expect (bug 154892).

These are rather big bugs I agree....

But we only have 1 chance to make a first impression. I think we all know how Netscape blew it with Netscape 6. Even though Mozilla 1.0 really made up for that blunder. Many saw Netscape 6, and refered to it as 'RIP'. Netscape never quite rebounded from that.

Mozilla's got a clean slate, but I don't think a 1.0 should be rushed.

Just my $0.02
raananb

Post by raananb »

Unfortunately the wording by Ben 'we prefer to hit our target dates than become sidetracked' are a repetition of the quite recent 0.9 flop - don't the people in Mozilla ever learn anything?

With 1.0 there are no more 'Beta & Pre-release' excuses. This time it is win or bust, and you cannot win with a loser... As for being sidetracked, being on date with a bugggy 1.0 will not get Firefox sidetracked, it will bury it altogether.
AGSHender

Post by AGSHender »

If the project were delayed while every feasible bug were fixed, Firefox v1.0 would never ship. Working as the QA person in a software company, I know full well that at some point you have to stop testing and say "OK, it's as good as it's going to get." Yes, there will always be bugs to fix. Some you find, some you don't. Most of them won't ever be experienced by people, and the devs probably aren't going to spend as much time on a bug that three people experience as opposed to one 30,000 experience. Those are the breaks of the software industry, not the Firefox devs.

Firefox v0.9 wasn't a flop. It was premature. There's a big difference and don't be too hasty to blur the lines.

It's about two months until the release of Firefox v1.0, and by staying on the branch Ben and the other devs have limited the number of major showstopper bugs that come their way. This is the time for fixing of the big ones. There are memory leaks that will likely never get fixed, but I can live with that. All Ben was saying is that he's going to be busy fixing the major, all-affected-by bugs and that your personal bug request of an indicator on the status bar shwoing when cookies are accepted (which is mine, BTW) probably isn't going to make it in. Bugs are being neglected to ship the product, yes, but it's not in the way that you think. Wait to pass judgement until you see what gets fixed between now and the RC1 phase.
wormeyman

Post by wormeyman »

ehume wrote:Ben

I asked this question in the theme section, but I'll ask it again here:

Are you going ahead with the change to https display (gold URL bar)? Or will you be reverting to the previous method?

Any other changes to themes before 1.0?

Thanks.

I like the gold url bar :D
Norm

Post by Norm »

Firefox is a very impressive piece of software. That it has progressed as far as it has is a major miracle considering the fact that hundreds of folks have participated in some manner and a handful of staff, with Ben at the helm, have made the decisions that have made this fine product a reality. At some point the work must stop and the first release must be made. That doesn't mean that product improvement stops. There are far too many interested people to keep that from happening.

Between now and the release date we can and should shout to whoever will listen, using all the marketing skills we have, that "Firefox 1 is here and no matter how big IE is, real competition is on the market and it is here to stay".
Norm
mallrat4

Post by mallrat4 »

im sure they will find a way and it will always be great firefox! life find a way u know lol and alway remember still beta (always buggy u know)...and it is maturing toward to the key...1.0. it is going to be great and i look forward to their release on that date or later. i know what they want to do so they will do it no try! i know u do well ben and firefox crew! kick some ie butt! show what u made of ;)
Gobd

Post by Gobd »

I really hope this one isn't pushed out the door even if there are known bugs. I'd be willing to wait until 9/0 if that's what it would take to fix most of the known bugs. The memory leaks should be fixed by 1.0 release as they are fairly important bugs. 1.0 needs to be a flawless release because that's when FF will get very popular and it will be under more scrutiny once it is more of a competitor to IE. The plan sounds good though, 1.0 will be something that will never be forgotten in the history of the internet.
Racer

Post by Racer »

"flawless release" is a standard to which no 1.0 software has ever achieved. P
Besides some installer (importing settings, etc) and extension issues, I'd say that FF 0.9 would be 1.0 material. However, I agree that squishing some of the more visible bugs would be good for making newb users THINK that Mozilla is flawless - which isn't a bad thing.
Linux4Life

Post by Linux4Life »

Can't wait for 1.0!
Kerry is BinLaden's Man / Bush is Mine
ehume

Post by ehume »

Linux4Life wrote:Can't wait for 1.0!

But I can. Better a 1.0 build with no major or annoying bugs than a browser that is on time. No more Netscape 6.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.