[update 9-18]Answer to Launch.com WMP/ActiveX stuff(mostly)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
AnonEmoose

[update 9-18]Answer to Launch.com WMP/ActiveX stuff(mostly)

Post by AnonEmoose »

FOR ALL FireFox 1.0PR Users ONLY
VERY IMPORTANT. IF YOU USE ADBLOCK EXTENSION DO NOT USE THE PLUGIN by MonkeeSage LISTED BELOW (YOUR MACHINE WILL BE EXPOSED TO ALMOST ANY ACTIVEX CONTROL) INSTEAD use options #1 or #2
1. (best option) USE THE file npmozax.dll (104 KB) that ships with Netscape 7.2 (copy the Netscape file to your FireFox plugin folder after installing ActiveX Plugin for Moz 1.7) then follow instructions below for editing/replacing activex.js file.

OR
2. (2nd best option) ActiveX Plugin for Moz 1.7 then follow instructions below for editing/replacing activex.js file. (Please note that the file NPMOZAX.DLL from Plugin for Moz 1.7 is DIFFERENT from the one that ships with Netscape 7.2. Also PLEASE note that while the Plugin for Moz 1.7 works ok too, the NETSCAPE version is PREFERABLE & MORE COMPATIBLE.)
3. (3rd option, not recommended) FF 1.0PR without Adblock can use, as a last resort, MonkeeSage's compile below

FOR FireFox 0.9 & higher Users OR FireFox 1.0PR(without AdBlock installed)
Ok here's the scoop.... the ActiveX Plugin for Moz 1.7 is out but it will not run properly with FF 0.9 (unlike the 1.6 version which will run on FF 0.8 ).
the link for MonkeeSage's alternate ActiveX plugin is
http://gratisdei.com/activex-1.0.0.3.xpi

I have tested these versions on most sites I could find (including Yahoo Launch *see note below) and with out any problems.....

It it also recommended to replace/rename activex.js with a new activex.js file containing the following text to enable only the WMP (unless u deliberately want to run other activeX controls). Normally, it is located in "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref"

Code: Select all

pref("general.useragent.vendorComment", "ax");
pref("security.xpconnect.activex.global.hosting_flags", 9);
pref("security.classID.allowByDefault", false);
pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CID6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6", "AllAccess");
pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CID22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95", "AllAccess");

If anyone encounters a problem please post it.

EXTRA INSTRUCTIONS FOR YAHOO LAUNCH (video) USERS
*to access Yahoo Launch u will need to temporarily modify/spoof your User Agent (Netscape 4.x or 7.1 is ok) eg. Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; Localization; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax) You can either install an extension or do it manually. Note: Yahoo Radio does NOT work with FF in my experience

edit #1 OOPS , I almost forgot... IF YOU USE ADBLOCK extension make sure the setting for OBJ-TABS is disabled (OR YOUR MACHINE WILL BE EXPOSED TO ALMOST ANY ACTIVEX CONTROL) .....

edit #2
for some reason Flash plugin will not load sometimes unless it was previously loaded.... a work around is to refresh your plugins (type about:plugins in your address bar) when starting FireFox, under those circumstances everything loads normally.

edit #3
For clarity the npdsplay.dll is the official WMP plugin for Netscape (also works with Mozilla/FireFox with any version of WMP) and uses the regular plugin architecture to hand off playing Microsoft media files such as wma wmv asf asx (note while WMP CAN play mp3's au wav the plugin will NOT hand it off to WMP, u will need another plugin such as Real or Quicktime for those extensions)
the activex plugin is actually a generic plugin which allows almost any activeX control to be hosted including WMP, Flash and other stuff (that's why it's recommended to set it to to only host WMP through the activex.js).

edit #4 keywords: ActiveX Active-X plugin Windows Media Player Mediaplayer WMP6.4 WMP7 WMP9 WMP10 WMP stream streaming embed embedded embedding Launch Yahoo Launch.com Launchcast Video mp3 wmv wma asf asx
Last edited by AnonEmoose on October 17th, 2004, 2:10 pm, edited 22 times in total.
adulttw

Post by adulttw »

Yes!I made it!It played wmv finally....

But I can't play midi with wmp9 and mov with QuickTime alternative...

I can play them in IE or IElike....any idea??
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

adulttw wrote:Yes!I made it!It played wmv finally....

But I can't play midi with wmp9 and mov with QuickTime alternative...

I can play them in IE or IElike....any idea??
i don't use Quicktime Alt, but perhaps there are settings like regular Quicktime that u need to associate with ...

Post by Guest »

In Quicktime 6.5.1, set the Mime types to include midi, and it will play them in the browser. I don't think you can get Midi to play through WMP9, unless it is coded specifically to WMP in the web page. This is beacuse the WMP9 plugin does not identify itself as supporting midi to Firefox.
adulttw

Post by adulttw »

I go MIME Setting to set mid to QuickTime Alternative,
But it showed:
"
We've run into errors while trying to update MIME types.
The error number was -43
"

In IE and IELike,the mid was played by WMP9...
Mov was played by Quicktime Alternative.

But in firefox,they all don't work....:(
KnutKatzner

Re: The Answer to WMP/ActiveX problems (mostly)

Post by KnutKatzner »

AnonEmoose wrote:Ok here's the scoop.... the ActiveX Plugin for Moz 1.7 is out but it will not run properly with FF 0.9 (unlike the 1.6 version which will run on FF 0.8 ).
Anyway, the good news is that the activex plugin which was compiled a while back by MonkeeSage works perfectly (near as I can tell) also on FF 0.9 and higher. I don't know why this version works and the one on Adam Lock's site doesn't. I have tested MonkeeSage's version on most sites I could find (including YahooLaunch) and with out any problems.....
the link for ActiveX plugin is
http://gratisdei.com/activex-1.0.0.3.xpi

It it also recommended to replace/rename activex.js with a new activex.js file containing the following text to enable only the WMP.

pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CID6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6", "NoAccess");
pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CID22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95", "AllAccess");

Hi Folks,
here is my solution for using the Windows Media Player with FireFox 0.9.1.

Under
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 197#460197
I have found the solution.

The two things I have done was
1. copying the activex.js file to
<Firefox install folder>\defaults\pref

My activex.js file just contains

pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CID6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6", "AllAccess");

2. run the wmp9.reg file

My wmp9.reg file contains

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\MOZILLA.EXE]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\PHOENIX.EXE]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\MOZILLAFIREBIRD.EXE]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\FIREFOX.EXE]

That's all.

Restart FireFox and the the Windows Media Player works fine.

I have tested it with the following links.

http://nunzioweb.com/streaming_audio-example.htm

using an m3u to stream a file
http://home.att.net/~wymette/files/m3Utest.html

I haven't installed any activex plugin.

I hope this works fine for you.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

I needed the ActiveX plugin to hear both those links. By the by, I wrote that solution you linked to. It was written for Firefox 0.8, so the ActiveX plugin link it points to doesn't work with Firefox 0.9.x

Are you sure you didn't install any plugins??
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
adulttw

Post by adulttw »

The same....
In IE and IELike,the mid was played by WMP9...
Mov was played by Quicktime Alternative.

But in firefox,they all don't work....:(
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

adulttw:No disresect, but please stay on the topic.... which is about WMP & ActiveX.... if u have questions about other plugins start a new topic or perhaps search for solutions which may have already been posted

KnutKatzner: Do NOT use the ActiveX Plugin for Mozilla 1.7 for FireFox 0.9 located at
http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/plugin.htm .... the security prefs set in the activex.js are skipped/not read and can present a SERIOUS security risk. Besides it WILL screw up your Flash plugin functionality by invoking the activex flash and not the Mozilla flash. You will also experience crashes/freeze ups on some pages.... BTW the links u posted will play in ANY browser if u have either ActiveX enabled or if u have the (non activeX) npdsplay.dll installed...

Vectorspace: to my forum buddy.. :-) :-) ... MonkeeSage's compile http://gratisdei.com/activex-1.0.0.3.xpi
will work on FF 0.9 (and higher). Since you so graciously had wriiten the (formerly) Sticky post perhaps u can add info about FF 0.9 to it as i outlined in the first post of this thread, so that people who search the forum and find it will have complete info....

People, let's try to stay on topic about ActiveX for FF 0.9 Windows Media player. Please post success stories or problems u have using the plugin version built by MonkeeSage
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

As much as I'd like to edit the post, it won't let me. It's locked, apparently. I'll add it to this topic instead.

I had already found the plugin in one of your other posts about it. I didn't mention it there because I was querying KnutKatzner about how he found that solution and used it, but didn't install an ActiveX plugin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an update of the WMP solution I presented in the Help with Windows Media Player topic, updated to include Firefox 0.9 and up.

Some streaming media uses an ActiveX control to invoke WMP. ActiveX is not included with Firefox because it can be a big security hole. There is a downloadable plugin, and if you configure it right it will be fine.

The ActiveX plugin linked to on the Firefox plugin Page was the one recommended, but the Mozilla 1.7 version is not completely compatable with Firefox 0.9.

The ActiveX plugin compiled by MonkeeSage is avaliable here: http://gratisdei.com/activex-1.0.0.3.xpi and is confirmed as being fully compatable with Firefox 0.9 and higher..
However, if you leave it with the default settings (i.e. you do not edit 'activex.js') it can be a security vulnerability. It is recommended that you configure it to only invoke the WMP control.
After installing it, go here: <Firefox install folder>\defaults\pref and open 'activex.js' for editing.

Delete or comment out any code already in it, then copy the following code into it:

This code must be the only active code in the file. It will configure ActiveX to run only WMP.

In addition, you may need to add the registry entries in this file:
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/resources/wmp9.reg
They solve a problem that can cause Firefox to attempt to use an earlier version of the WMP plugin.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
RoseCityMike

Post by RoseCityMike »

Argh!

Still no luck :-(

I copied the javascript directly over my current file. In fact I erased everything and pasted just the above script. I installed, at least I think so, the above MonkeeSage activeX file.

I don't know how to install the "reg edit" stuff.

When I run "launch.com videos" I get the "you must upgrade your Netscape XX" information screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all.
Peace.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

RoseCityMike wrote:Argh!

Still no luck :-(

I copied the javascript directly over my current file. In fact I erased everything and pasted just the above script. I installed, at least I think so, the above MonkeeSage activeX file.

I don't know how to install the "reg edit" stuff.

When I run "launch.com videos" I get the "you must upgrade your Netscape XX" information screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all.
Peace.
tsk tsk... lol ... did u remember to temporarily change your user agent to netscape 7.1 before going to launch.com
RoseCityMike

Post by RoseCityMike »

Anon - forgive my ignorance (or at least try :-)) but how or where do I change my "user agent"

Thank you kindly.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

RoseCityMike wrote:Anon - forgive my ignorance (or at least try :-)) but how or where do I change my "user agent"

Thank you kindly.
hehe... u can do it manually, or if you are not comfortable with that use an extension such a UAswitcher
http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/mo ... figuration

i am not sure if the extension will reset it automatically when u close/reopen your browser so be sure to Reset it under the extension options before u close your browser
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

OOPS , I almost forgot... if anyone wants to use the activeX plugin and IF YOU USE ADBLOCK extension make sure the setting for OBJ-TABS is disabled.....