Using MS Outlook Web Access in Firefox, linux?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
AussieGuy

Using MS Outlook Web Access in Firefox, linux?

Post by AussieGuy »

Because my workplace has fixed on using MS Exchange for all email, I can only use a client which supports this - which rules out Thunderbird. I can access mail using MS Outlook Web Access, but in Firefox I get a very bare, stripped interface - the "premium" interface is only available in IE.

Is there any way I can get Firefox to appear to be IE for the purposes of using MS Outlook Web Access? Or, failing that, is there any other mail solution? (Such as getting Thunderbird to support OWA)?

Thanks,
-A.
steviex

Re: Using MS Outlook Web Access in Firefox, linux?

Post by steviex »

You could Install IE or Outlook in Linux using Wine or Crossover.....

I would think that the OWA website uses IE specific code, that Firefox can not understand, and possibly uses Active X too.
Microsoft have chosen not to implement the Rich Text Format that Firefox uses..

By the way, I suggest you update your Firefox to at least 2.0.0.18 as you are a long way behind....
You are also strongly urged to update to Firefox 3.0.4 (unless your Distribution can not support it)

What Distribution are you using ??
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

You get the Web interface, period. That's what "Outlook Web Access" means. I just tried it, and it's not obviously any different with IE.
TomBoneSalad

Post by TomBoneSalad »

VanillaMozilla wrote:You get the Web interface, period. That's what "Outlook Web Access" means. I just tried it, and it's not obviously any different with IE.

Actually, IE is different than Firefox with Outlook Web Access. There are many features that you cannot have on firefox, such as pop-up email notification, highlight muti-line emails for bulk actions, click [delete] key to delete email. There's quite a difference. IE is much more user-friendly with Outlook Web Access.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

So if you want to use IE, just use IE and be done with it. It probably uses a bunch of non-standard Windows-only stuff.

You could try spoofing the user agent, but in my opinion it's better not to mess with it. If you want to use Firefox because you think it offers better security, then realize that if you insist on IE-only features, you take IE-only risks.

Post by Guest »

::Sigh:: Vanilla you are not being helpful. He wants to use Firefox the employer is insisting upon MS Outlook Web. Castigating the Firefox user for his/her boss's decision will simply drive FF users away. :roll:
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Well, he's long gone, and he'll use whatever he has or can use. He's using Linux anyway. No IE. This thread is inactive, so there's no sense in answering it now.
yevgeny

Post by yevgeny »

Hi,

I am very interested in this issue. I have Linux installed, when I access my mail account using web access it is very limited. I there any option to run IE on linux or make web access think it is running on IE?

Thanks a lot,
Yevgeny
James

Post by James »

IEs4Linux http://www.tatanka.com.br/

Locking due to old thread and off-topic.