Thunderbird connects but does not download messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
henrysimon

Thunderbird connects but does not download messages

Post by henrysimon »

Thunderbird has stopped downloading messages. It connects to the server, tells me how many e-mails there are, and announces "downloading 1 of..." but nothing happens.

I have tried clearing browser cache and Windows Temp directory, then deleting C/Program Files/Mozilla Thunderbird, then downloading a new copy of the installer. I have also done this with the anti-virus (McAfee) turned off. Nothing changes.

Any ideas as to what I should try next?
ODDSILVERFISH

Re: Thunderbird connects but does not download messages

Post by ODDSILVERFISH »

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. NOTHING DOWNLOADS. WAS OK YESTERDAY. HAVE JUST HAD AUTOMATIC UPDATE ON FIREFOX - COULD THAT BE THE CULPRIT?
HAVEN'T A CLUE WHAT TO DO. HAVE USED MY OLD OUTLOOK, AND DOWNLOADED ONE EMAIL [OUT OF 6]. HELP URGENT PLEEEEEEEEEEEESE !!! 8-[

Oddsilverfish
henrysimon

Post by henrysimon »

The message I keep getting from the server is:
Account: 'mail.surenet.net', Server: 'mail.surenet.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [IN-USE] /var/mail/.hsimon.pop lock busy! Is another session active? (35)', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

henrysimon
henrysimon

Post by henrysimon »

My problem is solved.
Someone had sent me a file to large to download--I have dial-up. Once I removed that file from the server I was able to use Windows Mail. I still don't have Thunderbird because the file I downloaded is a dmg file and windows can't open it--new problem!

ODDSILVERFISH have you checked your email on the server to see if you have the same problem? Good luck.

henrysimon
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

The .dmg file is the Mac installer, not the Windows one. With your User Agent, the download link should have given you the correct one. Did you go somewhere other than the main mozilla.com page to get it?
henrysimon

Post by henrysimon »

Yes, I did go to a page that was not mozilla. I got the correct windows file on the Mozilla site and deleted the .dmg file. I'm that much wiser. Thunderbird is working again. Thanks Daifne.

henrysimon
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You're very welcome.
oddsilverfish

Post by oddsilverfish »

Many thanks Henrysimon for your suggestion. No I didn't have your problem, but am pleased to say the gremlin has gone. Wasn't at my computer for a day, and the little horror did a runner - thank goodness. So all's well. Well, for today. :lol:
ODDSILVERFISH