[Ext]Go Parent Folder

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
wfiveash

Re: [Ext]Go Parent Folder

Post by wfiveash »

Alice0775 wrote:@wfiveash

This error message may be caused when the Firefox disiallow third party cookies. To accept the third party cookies:

go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> tick 'Accept third party cookies'.

Ah, that was the problem. Thanks for the fix! I'm looking forward to trying your addon's as this is one of the things that drives me nuts about FF's bookmark manager.
greg.bakker

Post by greg.bakker »

Alice0775 wrote:Version 1.6 released.
Improved: Shortened time to search for a parent-folder in the Sidebar when "Select all related bookmark" option is off.
Fixed bug: Dynamic entries like those in the "Recent Tags" and "Recent Bookmarks" folders are ignored when searching for the parent without "Select all related bookmark" option.

Thanks for the update! It seems a little faster now. It was taking up to 8 seconds, now it is down to 4-5 seconds. Still not quite as fast as the "Locate in Bookmarks Folder" add-in was in FF2 (that was pretty much instantaneous).
zonetuke

Post by zonetuke »

Does not function in Firefox 3.0 Mac. Get error message.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

zonetuke wrote:Does not function in Firefox 3.0 Mac. Get error message.

Thank you for your report.
I described that this extension did not function in MAC in AMO.
amitc

Post by amitc »

Hello,

The extension is a very useful addition. But currently it makes bookmark browsing slow to the point of being unusable. I finally disabled it. For example, opening a bookmark folder on the left with "Go Parent" extension enabled (and not the "Show Parent extension) takes more than a few seconds, without it there is no delay. Or trying dropping a bookmark folder in the left pane into another one in the left pane, again a hang for 10+ seconds.
Maybe there is some optimization possible such as delayed checking, etc. There might be some clue in the older extension, Locate in bookmarks. https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... =10&id=622

Others had the same problem, see https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... splay/7377.

Regards
Amit
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

amitc wrote:Hello,

The extension is a very useful addition. But currently it makes bookmark browsing slow to the point of being unusable. I finally disabled it. For example, opening a bookmark folder on the left with "Go Parent" extension enabled (and not the "Show Parent extension) takes more than a few seconds, without it there is no delay. Or trying dropping a bookmark folder in the left pane into another one in the left pane, again a hang for 10+ seconds.
Maybe there is some optimization possible such as delayed checking, etc. There might be some clue in the older extension, Locate in bookmarks. https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... =10&id=622

Others had the same problem, see https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... splay/7377.

Regards
Amit

I can not reproduce the above problem.
amitc

Post by amitc »

Alice0775 wrote:I can not reproduce the above problem.

Hi Alice,

I do not have any other bookmark extension. Maybe the size of bookmarks matters, my places.sqlite is 13 MB+ and has 24,363 bookmarks.

I cannot send them ofcourse.

Thanks
Amit
amitc

Post by amitc »

One more detail, there are 1839 folders in the bookmarks, many of them about 6-9 level deep and about 10 folders at each level.
The result of using netscape\mozilla\firefox for more than 8 years and collecting a lot and organizing.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

amitc wrote:I do not have any other bookmark extension. Maybe the size of bookmarks matters, my places.sqlite is 13 MB+ and has 24,363 bookmarks.

Mine is 6 BM....
amitc wrote:One more detail, there are 1839 folders in the bookmarks, many of them about 6-9 level deep and about 10 folders at each level.
The result of using netscape\mozilla\firefox for more than 8 years and collecting a lot and organizing.

For the purpose to classify, you can use tags.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Version 1.7 released.
Due to check-in of "Bug 475273 - Double Clicking a Folder in Right Pane causes Left Pane Tree items to expand and collapse"
Aliby

Post by Aliby »

I love this add-on, it is vital to keep similar topics together when adding new bookmarks and wanting to find the related bookmark folder.

But it has caused me some frustration every now and then. I will sometimes find a dead link and need to delete the relating bookmark. How do I find it? The "Go Parent Folder" ... but this add-on selects BOTH the parent folder and the bookmark. I have sometimes pressed delete forgetting that both are selected and it removes an entire subfolder.
Aaaah !!! Manage-bookmarks ... restore Yesterdays backup.

Is it possible to add an option of only selecting the bookmark and NOT the parent folder?
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Aliby wrote:I love this add-on, it is vital to keep similar topics together when adding new bookmarks and wanting to find the related bookmark folder.

But it has caused me some frustration every now and then. I will sometimes find a dead link and need to delete the relating bookmark. How do I find it? The "Go Parent Folder" ... but this add-on selects BOTH the parent folder and the bookmark. I have sometimes pressed delete forgetting that both are selected and it removes an entire subfolder.
Aaaah !!! Manage-bookmarks ... restore Yesterdays backup.

Is it possible to add an option of only selecting the bookmark and NOT the parent folder?

You can undo by press Ctrl+z.
Aliby

Post by Aliby »

Thanks, After seeing your add-on "undo" I thought that that was only an option after installing it. I now see Crtl+z still works with or with out it. You've just added the context menu - guess it's no conincidence that that is referred to in your add-on's name :-)
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Version 1.9 released.
Add an option of select only bookmark.
livelife

Post by livelife »

Works great on my Mac! Thank you! This and Show Parent Folder are lifesavers!!