If there was an osacar for extensions it would go to. . .

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
xjr1300

Post by xjr1300 »

Dunderklumpen wrote:My guess is that TBE is not listed because the developers do not recommend it in fact the recommend not using it.

Please can you point me to an article which states this?
nooon

Post by nooon »

The oscar would definitely go to Henrik Aasted, Wladimir Palant and Rue for Adblock!
xjr1300

Post by xjr1300 »

TheOneKEA wrote:Because it's not well-liked by many, who see it as fat, bloated and destabilizing to Firefox.

If you want the basics, use Tabbrowser Preferences instead - http://www.pryan.org/mozilla/site/TheOneKEA/tabprefs/

I'm always open to suggestions which make my browsing experience more userfriendly. I am a researcher and spend a lot of time on the internet, sometimes wanting to carry on the next day from where I left off. I have, as you suggested installed YOUR tab browser extension and yes it seems to work fine but the one piece of functionality in TBE that i liked was the ability for it to save all of the currently open tabs, so you can go back to the collection of web pages you had open.

This, all in ONE extension.

I don't know about it slowing FF down, or making it clunky or it being fat and bloated, it seems fine to me.

I would suggest that 99% of people who use FF and ARE NOT developers, like me, only use 10% of the functionality built in to the extensions they install. If it does something they like, they will keep it, otherwise it goes.

However, since this topic is about opinion. . .

AREN'T WE MISSING THE POINT?

Surely FF is all about providing a stable core set of functionality which is a REAL alternative to IE and then adding the functionality WE want to FF as we want it? or have I missed the point entirely?

I like FF, it is very easy to use and I seriously hope it succeeds, but it will only do so by either offering functionality that USERS want (NOT necessarilly ones that developers think are 'cool') and/or offer functionality not currently available in IE (such as. . wait for it. . . .TAB BROWSING. . you guessed!) and capitalise on that functionality.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

xjr1300 wrote:
Dunderklumpen wrote:My guess is that TBE is not listed because the developers do not recommend it in fact the recommend not using it.

No article, as far as I know but Ben Goodger - developer of Firefox has said so - here in this forum.
Make a search for his postings if you do not take my word for it.
xjr1300

Post by xjr1300 »

Dunderklumpen wrote:
xjr1300 wrote:

No article, as far as I know but Ben Goodger - developer of Firefox has said so - here in this forum.

I'm sorry, I have given the wrong impression, it is not a case of me "not taking your word for it", I just assumed that if there were a series of 'non-preferred' extensions, they would be listed somewhere or do you think that the fact they are not listed in Mozilla Update sufficient?
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Most extensions are listed here:

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

xjr1300 wrote:
TheOneKEA wrote:Because it's not well-liked by many, who see it as fat, bloated and destabilizing to Firefox.

If you want the basics, use Tabbrowser Preferences instead - http://www.pryan.org/mozilla/site/TheOneKEA/tabprefs/

I'm always open to suggestions which make my browsing experience more userfriendly. I am a researcher and spend a lot of time on the internet, sometimes wanting to carry on the next day from where I left off. I have, as you suggested installed YOUR tab browser extension and yes it seems to work fine but the one piece of functionality in TBE that i liked was the ability for it to save all of the currently open tabs, so you can go back to the collection of web pages you had open.

So go install the Session Saver extension, written by rue.

xjr1300 wrote:This, all in ONE extension.

I don't know about it slowing FF down, or making it clunky or it being fat and bloated, it seems fine to me.

But others have reported serious and/or severe problems with TBE installed.

xjr1300 wrote:I would suggest that 99% of people who use FF and ARE NOT developers, like me, only use 10% of the functionality built in to the extensions they install. If it does something they like, they will keep it, otherwise it goes.

However, since this topic is about opinion. . .

AREN'T WE MISSING THE POINT?

Surely FF is all about providing a stable core set of functionality which is a REAL alternative to IE and then adding the functionality WE want to FF as we want it? or have I missed the point entirely?

That's it.

xjr1300 wrote:I like FF, it is very easy to use and I seriously hope it succeeds, but it will only do so by either offering functionality that USERS want (NOT necessarilly ones that developers think are 'cool') and/or offer functionality not currently available in IE (such as. . wait for it. . . .TAB BROWSING. . you guessed!) and capitalise on that functionality.

That's what extensions are for - to provide functionality above and beyond what the core offers, so that people can tailor their browser to suit their needs. Why is the lack of functionality in Firefox, and the ability to restore it with extensions, a Bad Thing?
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

TheOneKEA, I installed 0.6.5 on 20040708, but it refuses to show up on the list and is not working at all, which leads me to believe it hasn't been installed. I tried again, and the same thing happened. I had to revert to Chris Cook's 0.5. :(
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205 Firefox/1.0+
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

johnleemk wrote:TheOneKEA, I installed 0.6.5 on 20040708, but it refuses to show up on the list and is not working at all, which leads me to believe it hasn't been installed. I tried again, and the same thing happened. I had to revert to Chris Cook's 0.5. :(

Branch build or trunk build? If TBP refuses to show up in a branch build's Extension Manager on OS X, that's either a severe bug in the EM or a bug in my install manifest.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
GrailKnight

Post by GrailKnight »

Dunderklumpen wrote:
My guess is that TBE is not listed because the developers do not recommend it in fact the recommend not using it.

Maybe they do not like TBE because they did not think of it first. It is hard to be humble.

That was a joke by the way.

I know from that article that they do not like TBE, because it changes core elements of Firefox and that is not a good thing.

Personally I have never had a problem with TBE and will use it as long as it is being offered and functional.
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact". - Sherlock Holmes
Pgr

Post by Pgr »

I'd give the Oscar to Marc Boullet for All-in-One gestures.

It's incredibely useful, feature packed, works impecably, and he adds some of our requests overnight! It's not abandoned, it just keeps getting better.

It's one of those things I think one day should be available everywhere (on all programs, not just Firefox).
xjr1300

Post by xjr1300 »

TheOneKEA wrote:
xjr1300 wrote:I like FF, it is very easy to use and I seriously hope it succeeds, but it will only do so by either offering functionality that USERS want (NOT necessarilly ones that developers think are 'cool') and/or offer functionality not currently available in IE (such as. . wait for it. . . .TAB BROWSING. . you guessed!) and capitalise on that functionality.

That's what extensions are for - to provide functionality above and beyond what the core offers, so that people can tailor their browser to suit their needs. Why is the lack of functionality in Firefox, and the ability to restore it with extensions, a Bad Thing?

It is not a bad thing at all, its a very good idea.

The whole point of the latter part of this conversation is that I did not understand what the problem was with TBE. It seems that it slows down computers (an effect I haven't seen) and interferes with the core of FF (you're the experts).

What I want to suggest is that as an extension TBE is good because of the level of functionality it provides, but it now seems that for me to get the same level of functionality I need to install 'session saver', 'tab browser preferences' and half a dozen others to achieve almost the same functionality.

As someone migrating (well. . . who has migrated really) from IE, why would I want to be bothered in downloading half a dozen extensions when one will do, and will the half dozen extensions slow down FF as much as TBE does?

I'm only asking these questions because I feel that in order for FF to truely compete with IE, it needs to be customisable with minimum effort, otherwise people simply won't bother. Assuming the target market is more of a surfer than a developer.

Have you thought about 'installation packages' where you can group together extensions and install a group of them in one hit?
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

TheOneKEA wrote:
johnleemk wrote:TheOneKEA, I installed 0.6.5 on 20040708, but it refuses to show up on the list and is not working at all, which leads me to believe it hasn't been installed. I tried again, and the same thing happened. I had to revert to Chris Cook's 0.5. :(

Branch build or trunk build? If TBP refuses to show up in a branch build's Extension Manager on OS X, that's either a severe bug in the EM or a bug in my install manifest.

Trunk. And I'm on Slackware Linux current. ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205 Firefox/1.0+
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

Dunderklumpen wrote:
xjr1300 wrote:

I want to clarify - my recommendation against using it was before it updated to the new API and was overwriting files it shouldn't have been. I think it's been corrected now, and as such I have no problem recommending it for people who want to use the controls it offers...
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

And the Oscar goes to... TBE. To me, Firefox is only worth half without it.
"I'll be dead after I die. I was dead before I was born. Life is a break from death." - Hlynur, 101 Reykjavík