Prevent XP from changing default email client to Outlook

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
hbadorties

Prevent XP from changing default email client to Outlook

Post by hbadorties »

Hello,

I have set Thunderbird to be the default E-mail program (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Internet Options - >Select "Programs" Tab and make sure it is "Mozilla Thunderbird").

For some reason Windows XP Pro keeps reverting the default email program to "Microsoft Office Outlook"
I NEVER use Outlook. I don't EVER want to use Outlook. I never run Outlook. So, why does Windows keep reverting to Outlook as the default email program?

More importantly, how can I prevent Windows from doing this on its own again?

ps: I become aware of Windows changing the default from Thunderbird to Outlook when I go to email a PDF from inside of Acrobat and Outlook comes up. Then i have to shut down Outlook and Adobe and go and reset Thunderbird as the default. What a pain.

Any help or pointers as to how I can KEEP Thunderird as the default and prevent Windows from changing the default would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Freee!!

Re: Prevent XP from changing default email client to Outlook

Post by Freee!! »

The easiest solution is uninstalling Outlook. Of course, this is a bit more difficult if you are talking about Outlook Express which is a completely different program which comes with Windows.
hbadorties

Post by hbadorties »

You are probably correct and this may be one answer - there's no way to revert to Outlook as the default email program if it is not there.

But what if I want to keep Outlook (eg: in case I need to help a client with it). So back to the original probelm - how to prevent Windows XP from reverting to Outlook as the default email program.

Maybe it would be fruitful to figure out HOW Win XP is changing the default email program on its own without user action?
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

hbadorties wrote:You are probably correct and this may be one answer - there's no way to revert to Outlook as the default email program if it is not there.

But what if I want to keep Outlook (eg: in case I need to help a client with it). So back to the original probelm - how to prevent Windows XP from reverting to Outlook as the default email program.
As far as I know, there is no way to prevent Windows XP from doing that. There are some programs around that can set defaults, but they are powerless when Windows reverts settings on its own.
Maybe it would be fruitful to figure out HOW Win XP is changing the default email program on its own without user action?
The most likely suspect is the Microsoft Update, and especially when there is an Office update for Outlook. If you can figure out how to stop that one from changing defaults on its own, please let us know.

There is a reason Microsoft was convicted for being an abusive monopolist.
clint_c

Post by clint_c »

I have been watching this "problem" for some time now and it consistently happens every time I do a Microsoft update on my computer. There is no question but that running these updates is the culprit. The last four updates that I've run I went and check the control panel | internet Properties (Programs) before running the update and then went and checked them again after the update (and usually computer restart).

Each and every time the default e-mail client is flipped back to Outlook... and I can't take Outlook off of the computer because I keep my calendar and contacts on it to interface to my Windows Mobile telephone. Just another feature from Microsoft where they think they know how to run your computer better than you do. Frustrating!

If you run Thunderbird it will detect this switch and ask to change it back. The problem is, if you try to send an e-mail out of some other program like Excel you get Outlook and have to close everything down, go do the reset yourself and start the other program up again so it will then recognize Thunderbird.
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

clint_c wrote:I have been watching this "problem" for some time now and it consistently happens every time I do a Microsoft update on my computer. There is no question but that running these updates is the culprit. The last four updates that I've run I went and check the control panel | internet Properties (Programs) before running the update and then went and checked them again after the update (and usually computer restart).

Each and every time the default e-mail client is flipped back to Outlook...
Thanks for confirming that suspicion.
and I can't take Outlook off of the computer because I keep my calendar and contacts on it to interface to my Windows Mobile telephone.
Nothing I can do to help with that.
Just another feature from Microsoft where they think they know how to run your computer better than you do. Frustrating!
This is going to be repetitive, but there is a reason Microsoft was convicted as an abusive monopolist.
If you run Thunderbird it will detect this switch and ask to change it back. The problem is, if you try to send an e-mail out of some other program like Excel you get Outlook and have to close everything down, go do the reset yourself and start the other program up again so it will then recognize Thunderbird.
One way around that is to automatically start Thunderbird when you start your computer/log on, something I like anyway.
Tsunami Australia

Post by Tsunami Australia »

Ok this one is quite easy if your using Outlook 2003, go to tools, options. Then click on the other tab. In here you will find a tick box named "Make Outlook the defailt program for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar". If this is unticked then Outlook should not assume control each time it is loaded.

I've recently myself gone from Exchange03/Outlook03 to GoogleApps/TB3+lightning+other addons because I got fed up with inhouse hosting a cranky server on a crappy net connection but wanted to keep calendar sharing functionality and cross-platform email support (especially syncing the iphone to the desktop and laptop). With the new features google have added this is working out quite fine.
It is in great dangers that we see great courage.
clint_c

Post by clint_c »

Not using Outlook for any e-mail I had never noticed that option there. Sure enough it was ticked. Have unticked it and will anxiously await the next Microsoft update to see if Thunderbird will retain its supremacy. Next step is a new phone when my two years of guaranteed satisfaction is up in two more months and I can start looking for something with no MS associated with it.

Thanks mate!
Tsunami Australia

Post by Tsunami Australia »

Regarding the phone, my iPhone is syncing Contacts, Calendar and mail fine with Google Apps. I'm impressed with the new setup to enable this through the iPhones "exchange server" option.
It is in great dangers that we see great courage.
hbadorties

Post by hbadorties »

I have created a batch file that runs uses Regedit to set the default mailer to Thunderbird. I run it on startup and schedule it to run every hour. This way when Micro$oft makes Outlook the default mailer I undo it on startup and every hour. Take that Micro$oft!!

Batch file:

Code: Select all

@echo off
: This will set the default email program to Mozilla Thunderbird
: Contents of MailClient.reg
: ------------- cut -----------------------
: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
:
: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail]
: @="Mozilla Thunderbird"
: ------------- cut -----------------------

regedit /s "C:\Program Files\utils\MailClient.reg"
: end

Notice that MailClient.reg is what's between the "cut" lines.
SilversleevesX

Post by SilversleevesX »

For anyone a bit leery to make registry tweaks, there's a GUI utility that does essentially the same thing. Default Mail. It's a run-once-and-forget kind of thing, but it's good to keep around (prudently on some other medium or hard-disk) in case you have to reinstall your OS.

BZT
What do you call a 5-year depressive cycle in the life of the late John Lennon?
BEATLEMANIA!!
philvx

Post by philvx »

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933450/en-us

BTW, "Method C" is my favourite.