Postbox: competition is good for business

Composer, ChatZilla and other Mozilla applications, along with Netscape, Galeon, K-Meleon and other products.
Amsterdammer

Postbox: competition is good for business

Post by Amsterdammer »

Ok,
here is the child of the former Thunderbird module owner Scott MacGregor
Postbox Beta is Now Available!
Today, we’re pleased to announce the public beta of Postbox, a new desktop email application that helps you make the most of your email messages and content.
http://postbox-inc.com/?/blog/entry/pos ... available/
public download: http://postbox-inc.com/

If someone doubts about the thread here, Postbox is a Thunderbird build :wink:
anfo.at

Re: Postbox: competition is good for business

Post by anfo.at »

thx, never heard of before.

nice ui, i'll give it a try...
steviex

Post by steviex »

I think this is better in Other Applications and Distributions, as this is NOT Thunderbird, merely BASED on it
(Like Songbird is based on Firefox, but is NOT Firefox)

Thunderbird Builds is for the OFFICIAL Test Builds.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Cool! I'm going to install it on one of my laptops and give it a try. Hmmmm. I wonder if we should suggest to kerz that we have a forum for it? Looks like they're using one of those generalized support forums: http://getsatisfaction.com/postbox

I could email Scott to see if they're interested.

Yes, this would be better in Other Apps or maybe Tech. I think Tech may be better at this point.
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

@Daifne, do u mean an own forum for Thunderbird clones like Postbox, Eudora, Spicebird and Correo (mac only) ?
steviex

Post by steviex »

Possibly....
Correo would deserve it's own Forum, as it is the companion Application to Camino
Penelope/Eudora also I think needs its own space.

I guess the best thing to do is to see if this takes off, and then decide what to do depending on Demand....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
koimark

Post by koimark »

Postbox seems very good competitor. I have used Shredder 3.0b2 and now installedd Postbox to test it. Everything went smoothly and it seems very nice. If they manage to allow using Thunderbird add-ons in Postbox it comes very tempting product.

Thunderbird should notice this product at least the way that it allows import profiles from Postbox to TB. (That is not a problem, profile folder seems very similar) I have not tried to copy mail files back to Shredder profile and not know if they work.
--
Marko
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

I have installed Postbox 1.0beta7.
My observations:
    *Postbox is aviable only in English
    *Postbox and Thunderbird both can run on your PC, they have independent profile-folders
    *Postbox offers to import mails and settings of Thunderbird, for all profiles you have, but you must choose one.
    *All works fine after import, but add-ons will not be imported
    *Postbox has more features than Thunderbird (see Homepage), but no add-on manager :!:

If you works with multiple profiles in Thunderbird like me, feel free to change one Thunderbird profile with Postbox. Use only IMAP, if you are afraid of data loss.

In my blog I describe, how to add the Thunderbird add-on manager to Postbox's GUI, and how to install Thunderbird 3 compatible extensions to Postbox 1.

Have fun :)
[:Aureliano Buendía]

Post by [:Aureliano Buendía] »

Amsterdammer wrote:I have installed Postbox 1.0beta7.
My observations:
    *Postbox is aviable only in English
    *Postbox and Thunderbird both can run on your PC, they have independent profile-folders
    *Postbox offers to import mails and settings of Thunderbird, for all profiles you have, but you must choose one.
    *All works fine after import, but add-ons will not be imported
    *Postbox has more features than Thunderbird (see Homepage), but no add-on manager :!:

If you works with multiple profiles in Thunderbird like me, feel free to change one Thunderbird profile with Postbox. Use only IMAP, if you are afraid of data loss.

In my blog I describe, how to add the Thunderbird add-on manager to Postbox's GUI, and how to install Thunderbird 3 compatible extensions to Postbox 1.

Have fun :)

It seem that postbox use the same profile architecture of thunderbird (same files name, folder etc): with line postbox -p from command line, it can set postbox profile to thunderbird profile: I try and it work fine... also if not is recommendable for potential data profile damage.

Ciao.
"The world was so recent that many things lacked names, and in order to indicate them it was necessary to point."
One Hundred Years Of Solitude
neandr

Post by neandr »

Amsterdammer wrote:Postbox 1.0beta7.

In my http://webshelter.blogspot.com/2009/02/ ... .html/blog I describe, how to add the Thunderbird add-on manager to Postbox's GUI, and how to install Thunderbird 3 compatible extensions to Postbox 1.

Hi,
got the extension mgr running with Mr.Tech & I also got ReminderFox up and running .. doing the same trick with the addition in install.rdf.

I'm interested in installing Venkman JavaScript debugger. The method failed (hope I have not made a mistake there). No venkman with tools menu, no prefs with 'about:config', no add-on listing.
Any further instruction how get it running??
Günter

EDIT:
Have to correct: Venkman JavaScript debugger is showing up with the Mr.T extensions dialog. It seems it's installed (ID, Compatible with 1.0b7) but no Tools menu addition, so no start of the JS debugger.
//gW / Ubuntu11.04 / MAC 10.5 / WIN7; FX / TB 6.x
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Interesting to see what Scott and Seth eventually ended up doing, but looking over their web site, two things make my mood a bit sour on it:

• Postbox is not open source, only the part "inherited" from Mozilla;
  • the last FAQ item states "pricing has not yet been announced" - thus, don't count on it that the actual release version will be available for free, or maybe it would come with the frequently seen free/pro split for feature availability.
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

Good interjection
1. Who supports Thunderbird? Mozilla.
2. Who supports SeaMonkey? Mozilla.
3. Who supports Eudora? Quallcomm.
4. Who supports Spicebird? Synovel.
5. Who supports Postbox? I don't know...

All Thunderbird family...
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

I installed Postbox on a spare PC and I have to say I was pretty disappointed in the UI
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
klumy

Post by klumy »

The postbox UI looks really good!
Only thing which I miss here is the large support for add-ons like on TB.
Windows 7
The.Purple.Hippo

Post by The.Purple.Hippo »

the one thing that Postbox has over thunderbird is they didn't disable javascript!