Removing the Java Quick Starter Add-on

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kgbme

Re: Removing the Java Quick Starter Add-on

Post by kgbme »

gadabout3 wrote:Since then every time I open Firefox or a new tab in Firefox, I get an alert from ZoneAlarm that "Java(TM) Platform SE binary is trying to access the trusted zone".

Just disable it (if you are unable to remove it)?..:) & the Windows Service:

Image Image

ps. offtopic:
Annjellicle wrote:It's a "good" thing, the only bad part is that they didn't tell people they were going to install it, so people were suspicious of it being there.

For every piece of (prefetch, preload, whatever) software, that someone thought it was a good idea - we'd need like a couple of GB of RAM to use. IMO that's just plain retarded. This kind of practice needs to be eradicated :-D
information

Post by information »

information wrote:
Spud05 wrote:I just installed the newest version of java yesterday, and noticed it put this plugin in Firefox. Then, my Firefox would hang about once every half hour. Not only would it hang, I couldn't close it through Ctrl+alt+del, it just stayed there until I restarted the computer. I disabled this addon and it hasn't done that since.

I noticed a behavior very similar to the one described above on XP SP3, FF 3.05, but I haven't conclusively linked it to the Java Quick Starter yet. I disabled the extension and restarted Firefox, the extension has remained disabled (does not switch itself back on, after several FF restarts and a reboot). I hope that this will fix things and have decided not to proceed to disable the plugin as described further down in the thread unless this simple measure doesn't clear up the crashes.

If needed, any relevant input would be appreciated. Thanks for the thread.

Since making this post I have confirmed that the source of my crashes has had nothing to do with the Java Quick Starter. I definitely do not think programs should add extensions without at least asking permission, had I not seen this thread I wouldn't have even known it was there. Other than that it was probably working as intended, although I have followed Grizzly's tip in removing it from my extension list and am leaving it that way for now.
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

Thanks for this information, original poster. I was trying to figure out how to remove the Java Quick Starter from Firefox.
bsb

Post by bsb »

This is a recurring problem when using portable firefox (particularly when deploying
to other people's computer, they get this Java Quick Start guff for no reason)

This quote gave me an idea:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Adding ... s_Registry

If the same extension appears under both HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then the instance under HKEY_CURRENT_USER will be used. If the same extension appears in the user's profile directory (via manual install), then it will take precedence over any instances found in the Registry.

Can I install or map the null plugin to override the client site's Java Quick Start?
Anyone know the details of this? Are there any other ways to package portable firefox
to ignore the registry hijackers?
whismerhill

Post by whismerhill »

this is just to say that I was able to successfully deactivate both the "java quick start" service & firefox plugin just by going in: " control panel \ x86 control panel icon \ Java \ advanced " and unticking the relevant option (you can also remove the new generation thingy inside) then restarting firefox
I'm just adding this comment because I did not see a single post saying the "standard" (when there's no bug or problem) way to do it and I thought it might help a guy or two.
Alice

Post by Alice »

If anyone is unable to uninstall the Java Quick Starter extension via the Java Control Panel, make sure that the extension is ENABLED in Firefox by checking in "Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions". If the Java Quick Starter Firefox extension is disabled, click the "Enable button" and restart Firefox.

Once the Java Quick Starter extension is enabled in Firefox, use the instructions on page 1 of this topic or here to remove it (open the Windows Control Panel and double click Java. In the Java Control Panel, click the Advanced tab, click the + in front of Miscellaneous and clear the Java Quick Starter box).

Ref:
*Bo's comment here saying, I was wrong earlier about the Java Quick Starter extension. I guess you have to do it when the extension is still enabled for it to work.).
Alice Wyman
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Thanks Alice, I'm wondering if this is a W2k thing because no way does it delete that way here.
Just updated to 12 and followed the instructions on this thread specifically. Same as last time, it won't go away by clearing the Quick Starter box.
Not a problem though as the Registry route nukes it.
Edit: It occurs to me maybe this is self induced, after installing Java the first thing I do is disable automatic updates, Win Patrol also detects a Java start up program which I deny, maybe these two steps cause the problem?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.

Post by Guest »

I'm having a problem with JQS.
I disable it, but it keeps re-activating itself
I'm getting tired of the battle.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

See if you find 'Java Quickstarter' here...

Click Start | Run and type regedit in the Open: line. Click OK.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Scroll down the left pane, locate the service name, right click it and select Delete.

Reboot the system

....This stopped the re-activation here.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Java Be Gone!

Post by Java Be Gone! »

1. Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs
2. Uninstall everything named Java...
3. restart Firefox

That fixed it for me.

Post by Guest »

Usage: jqs <mode> [<options>]

The following modes are supported:
-help print this help message and exit
-register install JQS service and register browser startup detectors
-unregister uninstall JQS service and unregister startup detectors
-enable enable JQS service
-disable disable JQS service
-pause pause prefetching
-resume resume prefetching
-version print version of the associated Java Runtime

Options include:
-config <config> set JQS configuration file
-profile <profile> set JQS profile file
-logfile <logfile> set JQS log file
-verbose <level> verbose operation
istanbull

Post by istanbull »

need delete Service , wndws ?

windowsbutton+R (start+run)
sc delete NAMEOFSERVICE
goggles_1

Post by goggles_1 »

I have the same problem on windows 2000. Going to control panel->java->advanced->miscellaneous and unchecking the java quick starter box will reenable itself later and not remove the addon from firefox.
On my XP machine, this worked fine. Seems like multiple people have the same issue on win2000. What a pain. Does anybody test their software any more (especially stuff that is forced on people without even asking.)

Post by Guest »

In my case, I'm constantly getting a high CPU usage with Java Quick Starter that comes the Java 6 Update 13. It took me really long time to figure out the problem. I used the Process Explorer from Sysinternals to find out the cuprit. I disabled the Java Quick Starter from Services and I noticed that the CPU Usage from Task Manager is only hitting between 6 to 8% (that is with a number of applications running). Machine specs: hp nc6320, C2D 1.6, 1.5GB RAM, XPSP3