mozilla firefox does not work with comcast home page. why?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

Well, on the last two builds of FF (the only two I've ever used), my first visit to my comcast.net homepage greeted me with an immediate message that Macromedia Flash 6 or higher is required.

If you've found that you can get by without it, then maybe they just want you to use it to see all their features. But it does prompt you as soon as you load their page the first time after installing FF.
J-Mac

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/4.0.1
Racer

Post by Racer »

would you be kind enough to point us to this mystery Flash detection script?
ups4

Post by ups4 »

Sam FT wrote:I am current comcast user and I have noticed this for awhile. Everything on the comcast page works fine expect the assistant (tool that is on the right side of the screen). Assistant is to show customize favorite things like lastest movies, weather, etc. And the assistant tool doesn't work when using FF. And the other thing that doesn't work is the "Fan" icon at the top of the website. That feature only works in IE, so that is why comcast has a link in the middle page for people to click on.

Exact same problem for me Sam FT. Although sometimes the favorite site links work, other times I am transported to a different link (usually the weather?) than the one I have it tagged for. Often though, there is no indication that there is a link there at all.
It pretty much makes the Assistant feature at my personalized home page useless.

We can't give you the link to this personalized page cause it is a secure login. This would show the problems indicated.

Paul
....my get-up-and-go musta got up and went....
J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

Racer wrote:would you be kind enough to point us to this mystery Flash detection script?

Darn, you're making it sound like I'm making it up!

"Mystery...."?

When I load the next build of FF, I'll post a screen capture of exactly what the Comast home page looks like the first time I go there after the installation. I'll show it whatever it says. OK?
J-Mac

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/4.0.1
J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

Another issue with the Comcast home page. If you click on the email or services links in the left side tables, you're instead directed to the page you would get if you click on the ad image at the bottom og those links.

I think, however, this may be related to the Ad Block extension, since if you click on the AdBlock tab at that ad, the whole left table goes blank.
J-Mac

T__

Post by T__ »

If you look at the page source you will see the flash detection script. It's not hard to spot. I would cut and paste it here but Comcast may have a problem with that. Unfortunately Comcast web developers have fallen for the IE centric trap. The page appears to have written specifically for IE complete with VB scripts. I generally make it a point not to visit the sites of these IE only developers as a matter of principle. Although the page displays fine in Firefox on my box.
J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

Thanks, T___!
J-Mac