New extension idea : Weather! But NOT for thunderbird :)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
FiReaNG3L

New extension idea : Weather! But NOT for thunderbird :)

Post by FiReaNG3L »

What I would like to see : Current weather and 3 days forecast for a location of my choice (worlwide would be nice, or US & Canada at worst) displayed in the status bar at the bottom of FireFox... possible? I know how to code in c++ but don't have a clue how to make extensions for mozilla :( Anyone can help? Or take this project? :) weather.yahoo.com would be a nice source of data...
Jokertej

Post by Jokertej »

Yes I would like to have a weather extension (Mozilla ) too. I tried a plugin/ ext which showed in news/ mail groups, but that was only for US weather. Would love to have one for Europe.
FiReaNG3L

Post by FiReaNG3L »

Yeah would be very usefull, i was thinking of something like small icons (rainy, sunny, cloudy) and temps for today and next 3 or so days in the status bar at the bottom. Would not be very difficult to do (would work kinda like some extensions for stock options). I am sure that it would be a VERY popular extension... no one want to make it? :)
crafteh

Post by crafteh »

I think I might take a crack at this.
morphis

Post by morphis »

Greate idea. I will second to this great extension if someone can made it.
thinktiger

Post by thinktiger »

I have some time free and some experience at writing an <a href="http://www.yellowgorilla.net/imagezoom">extension</a> and would also like to have this extension. crafteh you said you will take a crack but if you need help or would like me to do parts of it just let me know.
FiReaNG3L

Post by FiReaNG3L »

Excellent! Go for it guys.... i can't wait to see the result ;) Keep me informed. And thanks a lot!
thinktiger

Post by thinktiger »

ok, I have had a bit of a look around and need a good reliable source for this. Needs to be worldwide and an RSS feed would be better than having to screen scrape. The site that looks good to me is http://www.worldweather.org/ however it would have to be a screen scrape which would break the first time that they changed the layout of the site. I am after something a bit more robust if available. Something with current conditions as well would be good. Please post any suggestions here.
amr

Post by amr »

Edit: never mind. :)
Ihoss

Post by Ihoss »

have a look at ForecastFox 0.7 :)