Cannot open calendar (ics) file.

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
hugodelmar

Cannot open calendar (ics) file.

Post by hugodelmar »

I am not sure if this is a real bug but it is the reason why my orgnisation is refusing to migrate to thunderbird. The problem is this.
If thunderbird receive a ics calendar file as attachement you cannot double click it to import it directly into the calendar (in my case sunbird). I tested this with various operating systems and calendar software.

In the sunbird caledar forum it is a confirmed bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=212792 but there is no solution or work around.
I do not think the problem is with sunbird but with thunderbird. Thunderbird cannot open ics files from other clients as well (I tried evolution and outlook)

In some post (that I cannot find at the moment) a mozilla developer suggested that the users save the ics file and open it with sunbird. This works but it is too unfriendly for common users.

I think it is essential for the succes of calendar integration that you can just double click the ics attachement. I hope this wil be fixed because thunderbird is a very good and nice mail client.
t.guichelaar

Google Calendar

Post by t.guichelaar »

Someone should fix this. I'm using Thunderbird with the latest Lightning extension and I can't use invites from Google Calendar.
LordMerlin

Post by LordMerlin »

This is a rather important thing, can it be worked on?
<a href="http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=28mgmsk7" target=_blank>The world is at War!!</a>
samjudy2000

Re: Cannot open calendar (ics) file.

Post by samjudy2000 »

Not sure if anyone realized this but you can drag and drop the attachment, so just drap the attached .ics file and drop it on top of the Sunbird or Lighting calendar icon and the appoint opens right up and ask you to make any changes or save it to the calendar.
GreyCells

Post by GreyCells »

samjudy2000 wrote:Not sure if anyone realized this but you can drag and drop the attachment, so just drap the attached .ics file and drop it on top of the Sunbird or Lighting calendar icon and the appoint opens right up and ask you to make any changes or save it to the calendar.

Unfortunately, although the event dialog opens when you do this, it cannot be saved. No error message, just does not save... :(
pworks

Post by pworks »

I have the same issues. I receive meeting invites from Outlook. If I open the email, the ics is shown as an attachment. I can open it, and when i click Save, nothing happens - no error message or anything.

I did find, however, that if I select the entire email and drag it to the calendar, it will open and I can save it to the calendar. The only thing that doesn't work is timezone handling.
daguz

Post by daguz »

Hi,

i'd like to add that i stumbled upon the same problem while searching for a quick way to import selected events from facebook to my lightning/gcal setup (fb gives you an ics file that should be launched via firefox directly in sunbird/lightning, then added to a calendar that syncs with gcal).

it appears to me that a commandline (batch file) solution (as is also requested here: http://fixunix.com/mozilla/556707-thund ... tment.html ) would be logical, as i can't bring the OS (xp, in my case) to get thunderbird to launch the ics file, BUT i don't have an other exe file to point it to (e.g. sunbird.exe): " thunderbird.exe -lightning -whatever "
in fact, opening an ics file only works for me by dragging and dropping the file, but that makes tbird crash if it has too many events in it (and requires on step more in the setup i want to achieve, see above).

so, yes, doubleclicking an ics file and thus adding it would be super-nice.