[Ext] SessionSaver .2d: new (rewrite)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
rue

Post by rue »

wildman:
All spare time is being devoted to Adblock-dev. I do have a functioning "nightly 24", which fixes the annoying issue: "sessions are lost when non-browser windows remain open".
It needs some test stuff backed-out and repackaging for Firefox 0.9, but that's all. Someone also submitted some altered versions based on nightly 23 which I'll have to look at.
The next stages for SS will be moving to RDF (for significantly decreased overhead) and external-file storage. Present e.t.a. is late summer.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Rue, thanks for the update, looking forward to your next releases of Adblock and SS :)
wildman

Post by wildman »

rue wrote:wildman:
All spare time is being devoted to Adblock-dev. I do have a functioning "nightly 24", which fixes the annoying issue: "sessions are lost when non-browser windows remain open".
It needs some test stuff backed-out and repackaging for Firefox 0.9, but that's all. Someone also submitted some altered versions based on nightly 23 which I'll have to look at.
The next stages for SS will be moving to RDF (for significantly decreased overhead) and external-file storage. Present e.t.a. is late summer.

8) I use Addblock too, Thanks for the reply! Sounds like the RDF & External-storage will be worth the wait. Will it support Mozilla 1.7/8 too?
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Is Rue or Pike the "holder" of Session Saver? I have Pike's, but it is not working.

If this one is no longer being kept by Pike, maybe he should just link to Rue's.

Anyone?
rue

Post by rue »

sasquatch:
Technically, Pike's would be 0.2.0, and mine would be 0.2.1+. So, he's just hosting an older version.

--
wildman:
External-storage will allow remote-linking and session roaming (<a href="http://twingle.mozdev.org/">twingle</a>, meet bookmarksftp). Have you tried SS under 1.8?

--
Note-to-self: a session-bar would be pretty useful -- sorta like the bookmarks-toolbar, clicking an entry would switch session "workspaces" on the fly, with continual updating to the active-selection.
ronin65

Post by ronin65 »

Just where does the Session Saver install? I had thought that it was an extension, but when I click on tools>extensions I can not find it in the list. But if I click on tools>session saver I get several choices.

The problem that I am continuing to have with session saver is that It will occasionally restart (even after a normal shutdown) and either completely lock up with the spinning beachball of death or will eventually clear itself, but will crash FF if I close one of the two or more windows which are open with multiple tabs each.

I have version 0.2 installed on FF 0.9.0 and 0.9.1 with OS 10.3.4. I have had to completely remove my profile and the install of FF and restore them from my backup drive (keeping the bookmarks out of the profile I had to remove.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to get out of this situation...even how to uninstall session saver. when it works it is quite nice for "picking up where you left off", but I am growing weary of all the crashes/lockups.

Thanks
ronin65

Post by ronin65 »

I installed Session Saver in FF for OSX and it seemed to work for a bit and then with late 0.9.0+ and the second series of 0.9.1+ builds I experienced many instances where it would launch windows with multiple tabs, but never complete loading them and FF would become completely unresponsive with the spinning beachball of death. If I force quit FF it would only do the same thing over and over. Ultimately I trashed the FF profile and brought the slightly older profile in from my backup and added up to date bookmarks. It continued to the point that I simply trashed all of the extensions and have been trying to add them back in one at a time as I remember just which ones I had installed (there were not that many, perhaps 5 or 6). There is another extension by the name of Recall I ran across, but have not tried which apparently saves the session, but does not launch it unless you select it or a particular part of it from a dropdown menu. http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/recall

Perhaps merging the two as a single extension with a preference or configuration choice to launch/not launch by default would be useful.

When it worked this was quite nice to pick up where I left off in a browsing session.
rue

Post by rue »

ronin:
The current dev-branch actually began as a patch to Recall. After assessing its limitations, I decided SessionSaver had more promise.
As mentioned above, SS-dev will resume later this summer.
ronin65

Post by ronin65 »

thanks rue!

I look forward to it.
anthony2816

Post by anthony2816 »

Is there any easy way (or hard way, for that matter) to delete a saved session???

I'm using Session_Saver_0.2d2_nightly23_pass2.xpi with Firefox 0.92.
ronin65

Post by ronin65 »

I know that this is a little bit obvious, but the only way I have found is to individually close the tabs of the session that you do not want to save *before* closing FF. Perhaps this may change in future versions.
anthony2816

Post by anthony2816 »

Actually, I don't have it set to automatically save, as I like my browser to open to my home page. But I have saved a few sessions....and they're all listed in the SessionSaver entry on my Tools menu, and I don't know how to get rid of the ones I don't want any more.

I guess I do know, in that it can be done by editing configuration files, but there should be an easier way.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

BUG: Right click and go to "Visit Home Page" and it brings you to "page not found" at

http://adblock.mozdev.org/sessionsaver/
marcelle19

Newbie & Not much of a Techie

Post by marcelle19 »

Hi, I'm a newbie at this, and not really all that knowledgable in codes. I wanted to intall the session saver but it asked me whether to install in my profile or to the root, and I wanted to know which of these would be better. I read up on the profile, and it said to go to the start menu to get to it, but I thought there must be a way to do so right from the Firefox Browser.

Anyway, appreciate any instruction on these matters.

Thanks,

marcelle19
effloresce

Post by effloresce »

A very annoying bug I've encountered happened when a popup opened and the popup didn't have the bookmark toolbar or the the tab bar (normal behavior, i think?). that was just fine but after that every firefox window doesn't show the bookmark toolbar or the tab bar (even though view: bookmark toolbar is checked).
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20051002 Firefox/1.0.7