"Conversations" in Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cmil031

"Conversations" in Thunderbird

Post by cmil031 »

Does Thunderbird 2.0 offer the following feature that Google Mail provides?

It is the "Conversation" feature. This feature in Google Mail has each message you send grouped with all the responses you receive. This conversation view continues to grow as new replies arrive, so you can always see your messages in context.

Cheers

Re: "Conversations" in Thunderbird

Post by Guest »

after clicking either the Subject or Sender header-button, press the G key in the keyboard
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

It's traditionally called threading. View>Sort by>Threaded

Post by Guest »

Daifne wrote:It's traditionally called threading. View>Sort by>Threaded

A type of threading it may be, but the threading currently supported by thunderbird is nowhere near the conversation threading provided by gmail.
The only email program that I currently know of that implements it properly is called "[url=http://sup.rubyforge.org/]sup[\url]" and unfortunately, it's a command line application.

With the [url=https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/5326]threadbubble[\url] plugin for thunderbird, at least you don't lose track of your new emails in old threads (it moves the threads based on the date of the newest email in them) but you still have to manually scroll through the list of emails in the thread to find the new ones.
Gmails interface provides a single item which is the entire conversation. By default only the new messages in a conversation are expanded and all old emails are folded, instantly available upon request but otherwise not taking up room on screen.

I wish I could simply use gmail as it's interface is fantastic, however that is impossible at work due to security policy.
I would happily pay for a GUI MUA that provides proper gmail style conversation threading.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:A type of threading it may be, but the threading currently supported by thunderbird is nowhere near the conversation threading provided by gmail.
The only email program that I currently know of that implements it properly is called "[url=http://sup.rubyforge.org/]sup[\url]" and unfortunately, it's a command line application.

Actually, Thunderbird-based Postbox (by ex-TB developper) does Gmail style conversations:
1- it can gather messages from all folders into a single thread ("show all" button)
2- it shows as thread head the most recent message

I really wished that Thunderbird at least implemented item #2
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I set my TBird to place my replies in the same folder as the message being replied-to. Thread view then includes messages from both parties.

Menu Path:
    [In Windows & OSX]: Tools | Account Settings, or
    [In *nix]: Edit | Account Settings
    .. then, in the left pane, under EACH account name, Copies & Folders
In the right pane, [√] Place replies in the folder of the message being replied to
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
nghiadt

Post by nghiadt »

When I have 2 emails that were discussed by same persons but had different subjects, how could I join those emails to a conversation?